Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default READING LIST: A Field Guide to Fifteen Feminist Comics

Casey Gilley's got 99 problems, but finding fifteen comics with awesome female representation ain't one.

Full article here.

I feel like Ms. Marvel should get an honorable mention. Kamala's story is still very new, but she is fast becoming one of my favorite characters to read.

Looking for The Massive afrocarter's Avatar

Rat Queens and Saga are both brilliant. I'll be picking up a couple more of these.

What a great selection. I just started Batwoman and Captain Marvel but they have easily become my favorite superheroes. I'll admit though I was a little disappointed that Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise didn't make the cut. As for webcomics I would recommend Dresden Codak by Aaron Diaz and anything by Kate Leth or Erika Moen for discussions of queerness and feminism.

Feminism will soon defeat anti-feminism.
    It grips prey with its pincers until the prey is torn in half. What it can't tear, it tosses far.

RIP #GamerGate, 2014-2014 Support Women in Comics and Video Games!

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Killer selection of comics. Agree entirely with the ones I've read and want to read the ones I haven't.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Feminism will soon defeat anti-feminism.
    I dunno about soon, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it were. And not just feminism/anti-feminism. It feels more and more inevitable that folks looking for diversity within the medium is gonna start to drown out the old guard. We just need to keep up the press for that diversity. And guess what? Most of this great list is made up of creator owned titles. The more our comics journalists and blog sites focus on lesser known creators and stories, the healthier our whole industry will become and more artists could make a living in the medium. This, again, diversifies the content available, which attracts a wider audience, who then spend more money on creators' stories... it's almost like being welcoming to a hobby could help everybody involved in the hobby's industry, including the customers.

Some others that deserve at least honorable mentions: the Executive Assistant series, Amelia Cole, Apocalypse AI, Carbon Grey, Courtney Crumrin, Lazarus, Bandette, and Robyn Hood. And while they're not really comics in the traditional sense, I also really like the strong female characters in My So-Called Secret Identity and Gunnerkrigg Court.

A very beginner's list.

No "Girl" (or even "the Extremist") by Milligan? "Kill Your Boyfriend" by Morrison? More difficult to find but the search will reap infinite rewards (and the books could do with continued publicity instead of watered down corporate property like Captain Marvel).

aaaaaand Pixie Strikes Back is more feminist than the majority of the list. Give the book its DUE, CBR.
    Last edited by pixie_solanas; 06-02-2014 at 03:52 PM.

ElfQuest anyone? No?

And there's Sally Heathcote, Suffragette by Mary & Bryan Talbot which smacks you in the face with the brutal groundwork it took to get votes for women in the UK.

(Lumberjanes and Princeless are going oin the to-read list, I Kill Giants on the to-read-again list)

I would like to add the Adventures of Superhero Girl to the list. Its a webcomic and recently a collection came out through Dark Horse. It had me chuckling on the bus many a time.

Also - just throwing this out there - in many ways Y: The Last Man counts as feminist, surely? The whole setup and background was a commentary on social and economic power relationships. I found it really fascinating.

Any chance we can get an expanded list? I would love to see 50 recommended feminist comics?
    Last edited by dsimons_123; 06-02-2014 at 05:26 PM. Reason: More to add.

I would also suggest that the Witchblade series during Ron Marz main run deserves a mention (i think it was issue 79 onwards). There were some fascinating character moments in it.

I'm not sure if it deserves to be on the main list but considering that Top Cow was previously treating Pezzini as a shallow pin up with tedious or uninteresting stories, the change added a truly stark contrast.

I'm surprised to see how many of these are written by men.

How is "Scarlet" not on this list? She is a one woman revolution in and of herself Scarlet_1_Cover.jpg