Page 180 of 182 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181182 LastLast
Results 2,686 to 2,700 of 2722

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I loved it. I don't know how anything led you to suspect it might be a "fun" movie. Clint directed it and tends to do serious drama-y films.
    Harry Callahan movies are fun in my book, same goes for Gran Torino and Escape From Alcatraz. I also tend to like Punisher kind of movies, which was the impression I got from the opening act.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Please turn off your ad block, ads accompanying my videos are how I earn money

Godfather Part 2: I was simply thinking of watching half an hour or so before going to sleep. These films are really huge. Better space them out. But i ended up watching all of it. Ending at sometime near two thirty a.m. in the morning. I can't say that for most films if i have watched it already. I would rather stop watching a three hour film and sleep. Especially something like this which to put in simpler terms feels slow. Its still enthralling. I do no enjoy it as the first part but its excellent on its own. At times it feels like a character driven piece compared to a narrative driven first film. That seems wrong though. Character work and narration has been wonderful in both films.

My only complaint is that Michael's character arc was complete by the end of the first film. The reluctant son who wanted nothing with the ways of his family ends up leading it. He was not as ruthless as the other sons of Vito Corleone yet ends up being more vicious then even his father who feels tame in comparison. From the words of Ebert in his Godfather's review, the genius of Coppola is that Vito feels like a great man, a giant among men even if the most that can be said about him was that he was not as bad as other members of the mafia. That was achieved by a sole focus on the mafia. The ordinary people aren't shown. So, Michael already was cruel to begin with. And he ended up at an even darker place. It felt a bit redundant due to the first film.

There's a second complaint is not a complaint. Its something i could not catch clearly. The film is framed so that father and son's stories have parallels. I think it shows Vito's rise to power. And Michael's fall. While Vito ended up making the family, Michael ended up loosing them, making him all alone through his rise to power. Both become powerful. Michael ends up being far more powerful then his father could ever have been. But is he really? He cuts a tragic figure in that last shot. How far has he gone? I would love it if someone puts some more light in Vito's story. His story felt very straightforward. The rise of a crime lord from his humble beginnings.

Its also noticeable that Vito is a more likable character then his son. Even if both are killers and head criminal empires and families. (Or at least Vito used to be. In Godfather he said that to Tom that they are not killers. Even if the undertaker thinks of them to be).

One thing which i disliked in my first viewing has changed in my second. The first film was amidst a war. And there was so much danger. Lives were in danger. There's lot of excitement. Second one did not feel like the Corleones were in danger. Rather Michael was on the hunt. But then the danger is made clearer by that conversation between Michael and his mother. In being the head of his family just like his father was, he is in real danger of loosing his family. Or rather his father's family. This time danger isn't really from the mafia war rather from Michael himself.

I love the first one more. That was like scene after scene of awesomeness. This one is more meditative in comparison. At least it feels like that to me. Excellent film. Love it! Not as i wanted it to be: explosive as the first. But its powerful on its own.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-10-2018 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Godfather Part 2:
    My friend recently watched the first two and thinks I really need to take the time to watch them. Between a ton of hockey and a remarkable number of really great TV shows, I haven't found the time. I think I will soon.

I watched the Ritual last night on Netflix. I liked it, quite a lot.
    Previously: Deep_Sleeper. Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    Love the works of comic book artists - Stuart Immonen, Olivier Coipel, Kev Walker, Valerio Schiti, Esad Ribic, Jerome Opena and so many more great comic book artists

Your Name, 2016.

Pretty decent. Cool story and characters. An impressive eye candy too.
    A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker

Siddhartha Gautama.

Blue Hawaii, starring Elvis Presley.

Hey, I'm a sucker for old musicals. And it's a decent film. The only jarring things are Angela Lansbury plays a Southern airhead and the family butler is an Asian named "Ping Pong" (sign of the times, really). This is also the film that premiered the song "Can't Help Falling in Love With You." A simple rom-com that has its moments.

My Fair Lady

Some songs are unimportant to the plot and repeat notes a little too much, fast forwarding these songs won't cost you the experience. The song that stands to mind the most is that of Eliza's father singing about him getting married and dancing in a bar, useless money wasting shot.

The overall movie is good, and is highly enjoyable.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Please turn off your ad block, ads accompanying my videos are how I earn money

The Richard Donner cut of Superman (the Movie) and then the commentary by Donner and Tom Mankiewicz and then the music only cut.
    Superman was a beacon to the world. He didn’t just save people, he made them see the best part of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    My friend recently watched the first two and thinks I really need to take the time to watch them. Between a ton of hockey and a remarkable number of really great TV shows, I haven't found the time. I think I will soon.
    Cool. Try to watch it sooner then later. These two films are really amazing. I can see why your friend thinks so.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-12-2018 at 12:55 AM.

Standing Member

If you're just watching MY FAIR LADY (1964) for the story, then you might as well watch PYGMALION (1934)--that leaves out the songs and lets the actors act. It stars Leslie Howard and Wendy Hiller. The whole point of making Shaw's play into a musical on Broadway, was so Lerner and Loewe could stage a lot of song & dance numbers. In Broadway musicals, the plot was not so important as the spectacle and surely "Get Me to the Church on Time" is a showstopper. But I would have liked to have seen the actual Broadway musical, with Julie Andrews in the role of Eliza Doolittle. Now that must have been something. It's one of those weird switcheroos that Andrews didn't get cast in the movie--or in the movie version of CAMELOT (1967)--yet did get cast in the movie version of SOUND OF MUSIC (1965).
    “Don’t mistake my patience for weakness”

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping - fun parody - love the cameos

Call Me By Your Name - charming and bittersweet

Arrow

Spider-Man Homecoming

It was a good movie, It had good action and it was really hilarious also Tom Holland did a good job playing as Spider-Man.

Happy Death Day: Looks like the one i haven't watched yet is the original 'Groundhog Day'. Edge of Tomorrow was great. And this one is really good too. Interesting premise as the girl has to solve the mystery of her own murder. Or else she has to relieve the whole day again and again. I really enjoyed it. It was so much fun as literally anyone could be a killer. It can't be called a horror comedy but it surely has some comedy. The lead actress Jessica Rothe was really good. The whole film was her show and a good reason why the film works is due to her performance.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-12-2018 at 05:18 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Looks like the one i haven't watched yet is the original 'Groundhog Day'.
    It's really good, one of those rare comedies that transcends and is poignant.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-12-2018 at 01:42 PM.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

Happy Death Day: Looks like the one i haven't watched yet is the original 'Groundhog Day'. Edge of Tomorrow was great. And this one is really good too. Interesting premise as the girl has to solve the mystery of her own murder. Or else she has to relieve the whole day again and again. I really enjoyed it. It was so much fun as literally anyone could be a killer. It can't be called a horror comedy but it surely has some comedy. The lead actress Jessica Rothe was really good. The whole film was her show and a good reason why the film works is due to her performance.
    I heard that this was a pretty good movie to spend some time. Interesting fact: the writer of the movie is Scott Lobdell of Generation X, Uncanny X-Men, Wildcats, and so many other comics.

I watched a few last night:

Apollo 13. I had never seen it and the Space-X test flight kind of got me interested in space-related movies. While I keep hoping that Gravity gets released again shortly on IMAX, I decided to watch Apollo 13 on Netflix. Good movie, but I don't know...I didn't feel the sense of thrill, tension or sorrow for the characters like I did with a movie like Gravity or The Martian, or even quite a lot of Interstellar.

Limitless. Also on Netflix. I saw it before, but I thought I'd check it out again. It played a little better the second time.

Gerald's Game. On the basis of Chris Stuckmann's strong recommendation, I decided to watch this movie. While Stephen King is big right now with "It" getting a ton of praise and "The Dark Tower" getting outright ignored, I think Gerald's Game was clearly the strongest movie adaptation of the three. This is a movie I think more people should check out.
    Previously: Deep_Sleeper. Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    Love the works of comic book artists - Stuart Immonen, Olivier Coipel, Kev Walker, Valerio Schiti, Esad Ribic, Jerome Opena and so many more great comic book artists

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post

Gerald's Game. On the basis of Chris Stuckmann's strong recommendation, I decided to watch this movie. While Stephen King is big right now with "It" getting a ton of praise and "The Dark Tower" getting outright ignored, I think Gerald's Game was clearly the strongest movie adaptation of the three. This is a movie I think more people should check out.
    I do want to see it. I was thinking of reading the book beforehand, but I might just skip that. I'm sure I will like this far more than It or Dark Tower. Good king adaptations are so few and far between for me.
    Thank you America for voting for change.