Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoDaCosta View Post
    I hope the new announcements include more X-Men books... these seem disappointing so far...
    Actually, I'm only reading one xmen book, two avengers books, two spider man books- I'm finding things a lot more manageable and easier to keep up with.

Newbie Member

What does "CA" mean? Is it Cover Art?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
    I'll take Land over Allred everytime. Never understood all the hate for him. Same with Mike Deodato who I feel is a great artist.
    I can understand Allred art not being everyone's cup of tea but that sentence is ludicrous.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-01-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Newbie Member

Quote Originally Posted by Child of the Past View Post
    I can understand Allred art not being everyone's cup of tea but that sentence is ludicrous.
    Allred is one of the most visually distinctive and consistent artists working in comics in the last 25 years; my one and only criticism of him is he has a go-to face for his female protagonists but that's something you can point out with a lot of artists. I get told I do the same in my own work, so pot/kettle etc. Allred's art doesn't always suit the nature of the book he's working on (for example, I love Allred and I love Milligan, but I just can't get with X-Statix) but when it does, it really really does - Slott and Allred's Silver Surfer has been a joy.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Actually quite into some of these. There will always be books that aren't to peoples' tastes but there's also the argument that Marvel should be trying new things. It's great that Dr Strange has his own book, for example, or that we have one called Howling Commandos of SHIELD with a buncha monsters in the line-up.

There are characters I want to see more of (currently suffering the pain of Iron Fist's book finishing) but y'know, it can't be tailored to just me.

Rookie Member

I really am not liking this. I'm wondering why Marvel even began certain series like All-New Hawkeye when they were just going to reboot them so soon after. I really hope Marvel is going to add more titles because I want more Abnett-written Guardians 3000. Also, I noticed Rick Remender is missing from all titles, including the relaunches of the books he had just begun. I wonder if Flash Thompson is becoming an official Galadorian Spaceknight. Flash, oh-oh, savior of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by davewire View Post
    I really am not liking this. I'm wondering why Marvel even began certain series like All-New Hawkeye when they were just going to reboot them so soon after. I really hope Marvel is going to add more titles because I want more Abnett-written Guardians 3000. Also, I noticed Rick Remender is missing from all titles, including the relaunches of the books he had just begun. I wonder if Flash Thompson is becoming an official Galadorian Spaceknight. Flash, oh-oh, savior of the universe.
    Remender released a statement yesterday that he was taking a leave from Marvel for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by davewire View Post
    Also, I noticed Rick Remender is missing from all titles, including the relaunches of the books he had just begun.
    Yes I noticed that too. Wonder if he's leaving Marvel.

Newbie Member

Yeah, Remender's left Marvel for the forseeable; he wants to concentrate on family and creator-owned projects. Which I am totally ok with; Black Science, Low and especially Deadly Class are really great work, and of course Tokyo Ghost with Sean Murphy starts in September.

Quote Originally Posted by richardblack View Post
    What does "CA" mean? Is it Cover Art?
    Yes, it stands for Cover Art. Sometimes a book will have cover art for a whole series done by one particular artist e.g. Alex Ross on Secret Wars, David Nakayama on All New Ultimates etc.
    Currently enjoying:
    1872 ~ Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows ~ Civil War ~ Future Imperfect ~ Secret Wars ~ Spider-Verse ~ Squadron Sinister

Currently anticipating:
    All-New, All-Different Avengers ~ Extraordinary X-Men ~ Karnak ~ Spider-Man ~ Squadron Supreme ~ Totally Awesome Hulk ~ Uncanny Inhumans ~ Venom: Spaceknight

Rookie Member

They are leaving because they realized they can make more money on their own comics for Image and other indie publishers, and retain rights to all TV/movies of course. First it was Millar, Brubaker, Fraction, DeConnick, and now Hickman and Remender. Ellis sort of did it too, although from what I read he did it for more virtuous reasons. Gillen is going to do it now too, except keep a toe in the Marvel Universe with Darth Vader (very smart IMO, anything Star Wars is golden at the moment). This was Brian K. Vaughan's trajectory as well back in the day.

At some point, the writers who make a name for themselves at DC or Marvel realize they have the cachet to sell enough books at Image and the like to essentially duplicate or beat their page rate at Marvel. With the added bonus that they are working on their own characters and concepts rather than corporate-owned superheroes.

Rarely, those writers come back to Marvel for high-profile projects to keep their name in the spotlight amongst the superhero fans. See Ellis's Moon Knight and now Karnak, or Ennis's Battleworlds mini.
    Last edited by Spacedog2; 07-01-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedog2 View Post
    They are leaving because they realized they can make more money on their own comics for Image and other indie publishers, and retain rights to all TV/movies of course. First it was Millar, Brubaker, Fraction, DeConnick, and now Hickman and Remender. Ellis sort of did it too, although from what I read he did it for more virtuous reasons. Gillen is going to do it now too, except keep a toe in the Marvel Universe with Darth Vader (very smart IMO, anything Star Wars is golden at the moment). This was Brian K. Vaughan's trajectory as well back in the day.

At some point, the writers who make a name for themselves at DC or Marvel realize they have the cachet to sell enough books at Image and the like to essentially duplicate or beat their page rate at Marvel. With the added bonus that they are working on their own characters and concepts rather than corporate-owned superheroes.

Rarely, those writers come back to Marvel for high-profile projects to keep their name in the spotlight amongst the superhero fans. See Ellis's Moon Knight and now Karnak, or Ennis's Battleworlds mini.
    It's a shame that this has become the career trajectory for most successful writers. Marvel definitely need to take action to preserve their best talent, and get some of their old writers back on board. The new lineup is pretty devoid of A-list writers.
    Currently enjoying:
    1872 ~ Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows ~ Civil War ~ Future Imperfect ~ Secret Wars ~ Spider-Verse ~ Squadron Sinister

Currently anticipating:
    All-New, All-Different Avengers ~ Extraordinary X-Men ~ Karnak ~ Spider-Man ~ Squadron Supreme ~ Totally Awesome Hulk ~ Uncanny Inhumans ~ Venom: Spaceknight

There is a severe lack of star power here. What happened to the writers and artists we know and loved?

Elder Member

Really, there's quite a bit of talent here from what I can see. Also fans are constantly complaining about "wanting new things" and that "new people should get a shot." Well here you go, lets see how many now turn around a complain about the lack of "big names." My guess is, a lot.

Remember folks; it's okay to be critical, but when speaking about creators don't be rude, insulting, or disrespectful.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

"Doom believes you have something...of Doom's. Really no way around saying it twice there." ~Doctor Doom