Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Batman Eternal, #9

A surprise-filled "Batman Eternal" #9 takes Batman outside of Gotham, as Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV, John Layman, and Guillem March all deliver a nicely focused and impressively rendered chapter of an immense storyline.

Full review here.

Good issue, Batman's trip to Hong Kong and meeting with Jiro was cool, at first I felt it wasn't going to lead to much but then I saw that last page.
    I guess this is where things start to turn bad for Catwoman...

This series is all over the place and I'm not sure that I care about any of it. Also, not only how is the Roman still in continuity, but how is his Year One rooftop encounter with Catwoman even remotely in continuity?

Quote Originally Posted by JokersNuts View Post
    This series is all over the place and I'm not sure that I care about any of it. Also, not only how is the Roman still in continuity, but how is his Year One rooftop encounter with Catwoman even remotely in continuity?
    Miller's 1980s material seems untouchable, whereas Loeb's 2000s material has been virtually excised. We've already seen, and are steadily seeing more dialing back of New 52 "changes for change's sake". Snyder has talked at large about his fear of overwriting Year One with Zero Year, and how he finally just went rock & roll on it - but ultimately if you read it, nothing about Zero Year contradicts Year One, except maybe adding the hologram thing to the "I shall become a bat" moment. Otherwise, the Red Hood/Secret City stuff fits pretty neatly alongside and between the panels of Bruce's scouting Gordon in Year One, and scaring the pants off of Falcone, with only very minor tweaks needed to reconcile them. We could almost even presume (for now, until directly contradicted) that Matt Wagner's Mad Monk and Hugo Strange stories occur in and around the Doctor Death/Dark City days.

And while Long Halloween and Dark Victory are tossed (probably rightly so, since each purport to take two years time in Batman's early career, and we've got a VERY loosely condensed timeline to think about, to say nothing of Falcone being alive, Two-Face having a new origin, on and on and on ...) we've still seen moves to at least align character origins with the classic origins that Long Halloween/Dark Victory were fairly faithful to - Dick Grayson's Secret Origin for instance pretty much excises all the additional layers of Saiko/Owl involvement in favor of a streamlined take on the classic origin with barely any references to the Zero Month issue, either.

Between Eternal's reference to the Mafia/Penguin war, Falcone's strife with Catwoman, and back a bit, the Zucco stuff in Nightwing, we can assume that while Long Halloween/Dark Victory never happened - some events VERY SIMILAR to them did happen. Obviously we're waiting to see if we get flashback material verifying that or not, but we can probably figure a few things just by how prominent they are to the sort of larger Bat-Mythos: Zucco probably has ties to the Falcones & Maronis. There was a battle for Gotham's soul between gangsters and freaks. The Batman/Gordon/Harvey Dent alliance to crush organized crime happened. What we don't know is more fixated on specifics of Loeb's stories - did the Holiday or Hangman killings happen? Did Selina go to Rome? Did Two-Face throw a wrench into the mix during the freak/gangster war? Mostly novel points, those.

Obviously this is a continuity-laden response, but I'm actually enjoying NOT being a continuity buff, New 52 or otherwise, for this story. My imagination is filling in the blanks pretty quick, leaving me to just enjoy Eternal's scope and momentum. I for one prefer these kind of "scatter-shot all over Gotham" stories with running mysteries.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com