Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Wood & Smallwood Take Over "Moon Knight" with September's Issue #7

Marvel has announced that writer Brian Wood and artist Greg Smallwood will follow Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey on "Moon Knight."

Full article here.

I'm not saying this in defense of Wood or anything but was it necessary to bring up the sexual harassment thing in a completely unrelated article?

More to the point, I am sad to see Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey go. Its been great comics storytelling. But I like Wood and I'm impressed with Smallwood's art. So I'll definitely give it a shot.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Who wants to take bets on how long it'll take for Moon Knight #7 to be resolicited as Moon Knight (vol. 174?) #1??
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

It's a shame that Ellis and Shalvey will be leaving the book so soon, even if the new creative team is nothing to sneeze at. It's good to hear that the book will continue running short self-contained stories, though, and I can only hope it will stay aloof from the broader Marvel universe. The hodgepodge of outside continuity tends to flatten books that have their own obscure cosmologies.

Still, it's been too long since Ellis let one of his episodic occult procedurals stick around long enough for any kind of thematic closure or character arc. Books like Fell, Secret Avengers, Global Frequency, and now Moon Knight are all striking as exercises in style but fall short of sustained projects like Planetary and Transmetropolitan where Ellis builds toward some kind of statement. So far Moon Knight has shown us a world full of used-up men who can't stay buried; it has turned the Egyptian motif into a book about funeral rites, a combat-intensive book of the dead. And this Moon Knight seems resonant in a way that Fell with its cynical urban purgatory was not. There's something going on in this material, a nascent statement, that will probably vanish now that Wood is trading weird fiction for military paranoia.

Still, I'll check out the next iteration. No point ignoring talent for the sake of a tantalizing counter-factual.

I Am REALLY into the current creative team so I'm sad to see them go. My only experience with Wood is his female X-Men series, which I quickly dropped.
    Batman, Batman: Eternal, Green Arrow, Injustice: Year Three, Superman
    All-New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Captain Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Inhuman, Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, New Avengers, Nova, The Punisher, Thor: God of Thunder, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Mundungus View Post
    I'm not saying this in defense of Wood or anything but was it necessary to bring up the sexual harassment thing in a completely unrelated article?
    I felt the exact same way. While the new rules are pretty clear about not going after creators, I can't see how that line would do anything but create a scenario where just that sort of thing is likely to happen.

As for the new team - Not that psyched/willing to give it a couple of issues.

I'd forgotten about Ellis and Wood previously working together, I wonder if Ellis requested him or if it was all Lowe.

Anyway, the Newsarama interview gave me a little more hope. This certainly suits Wood better, but after his X-Men mess I'm still not so sure about this.

So the creative team is Wood and Smallwood... and yet Ellis is the one writing "Trees".

Still this fills me with hope.

I'm personally glad that Ellis is leaving. I expected so much from him but I haven't liked his run at all. Too bad Shalvey is leaving as well. Wish they could have kept him.

Trees, nice one.

This is probably the best replacement team possible for the sake of consistency. And Bellaire staying is great.

Weird that they brought up the allegations because we already knew marvel supports him. Good luck getting an exclusive.

Talk about bait and switch.

Also, with that creative team, I doubt the book will make it past 18. Wood is no Ellis. Smallwood and Bellaire are good though.

EDIT: Is it weird that any time I see Wood on a book on a Big Two book, I wish it was Rucka instead? Rucka would so kill on this, although he might give Marc a female sidekick.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 06-04-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Better art... but not fond of Wood saying he's dialing back on the supernatural stuff. Yes, Marc comes from an interesting military background. Not sure what Wood will do with the political, but I was hoping the next writer would lean more towards the supernatural.

Anyway, I'll wait for this team's first arc collected and if I like that, I'll continue on an issue by issue basis.
    Former Marvel girl...

Still SICK that Ellis and Shalvey are moving on but man am I happy we got/get to experience the run on Moon Knight. Goes to show how popular and cool Moon Knight can and should be. Anyhow, I look forward to the new team. Hopefully we can see Ellis and Shalvey collaborate on something else.

It was pretty obvious that Ellis would be leaving after the first arc; it is Ellis after. I've been steeling myself for that moment. But man, I was certain Shalvey would be staying. That breaks my heart; him and Bellaire made the book for me. It really seemed more their show than Ellis, almost like Ellis would give them a plot synopsis and say "go nuts". That being said, I'm okay with Wood, and though I've never read anything done by Smallwood, his art looks like it will fit the tone. I'm super happy they're keeping the done in one format, and though no one can out-weird Ellis, I hope they try to keep that weird pulpy feel.
    currently reading and enjoying very, very much: Manhattan Projects, Mind MGMT, Moon Knight, Multiversity, Southern Bastards

*sigh*
    I can't remember a time when I've enjoyed Moon Knight more than with Ellis's run.
    Shame it ended up being so short.