Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default DC Comics Celebrates "Batman Day" with Timeline Poster, Cover Reveal

"Batman Day" hits comics shops July 23, celebrating the DC Comics icon's 75th anniversary, and along with it comes a new timeline of Bat-history.

Full article here.

Now if they only gave us a new timeline of what exactly occurred with Batman within the New 52 storylines, including what is still considered (somewhat) canon from before the Flashpoint changes.

I find it odd that there's no mention to Morrison's Batman run except that Damian becomes Robin. It should've been represented in the timeline. Also, great to see Finger get a credit for the original Batman story.
    Message board hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

"CBR....complain, b!#^h, and rant" ~ Greg Capullo

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Now if they only gave us a new timeline of what exactly occurred with Batman within the New 52 storylines, including what is still considered (somewhat) canon from before the Flashpoint changes.
    Yeah, this timeline is worthless. It's just a wiki bulletin.

That's what I was hoping this was, which was the only reason I clicked the link. So disappointed it turned out otherwise.
    It was only after Bruce died that I realized what I could do for him....Honor him. Honor what he stood for. Take up the mantle of the Bat. The mantle of my son. Atone for my sins by helping the world. -Thomas Wayne E2 Batman

Never give up without a fight. - Inscription on Zuko's dagger-Avatar: the Last Airbender

I think it's a shame that the poster in unavailable. I had so many posters of varied kinds (comics, classic art prints, sports, sports cars, women in bikinis, etc...) on my walls as a kid. It's fantastic that the comic is free!
    Top 6 Books Lately: All-New X-Men, Aquaman, Black Science, Five Ghosts, Cyclops, Starlight
    Top 6 Legionnaires: Wildfire, Timber Wolf, Polar Boy, Shadow Lass, Phantom Girl, Ultra Boy
    Top 6 X-Men: Cyclops, Iceman, Colossus, Cannonball, Nightcrawler, Jean Grey

WhyTF wouldn't they cut that Detective 27 homage from out of Zero Year if they just had to repurpose some Capullo art for the cover? I am looking forward to the freebie. I buy Bat books and I like Meltzer better than many seem to.
    Pull: Annihilator, Batstuff, Casanova, Danger Club, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Deadly Class, Dream Thief, Drifter, Ghost Fleet, Grindhouse by De Campi, Groo, Men of Wrath, Multiversity, Southern Bastards, Trees, Wild Blue Yonder

Quote Originally Posted by Walkinspanish View Post
    WhyTF wouldn't they cut that Detective 27 homage from out of Zero Year if they just had to repurpose some Capullo art for the cover? I am looking forward to the freebie. I buy Bat books and I like Meltzer better than many seem to.
    From Zero Year?

Moderator / Bounty Hunter ABH-1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walkinspanish View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why they didn't go with something else that better resembled the '39 Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    I find it odd that there's no mention to Morrison's Batman run except that Damian becomes Robin. It should've been represented in the timeline. Also, great to see Finger get a credit for the original Batman story.
    They don't want to mention Dick as Batman. It's a time period they want people to forget. Same thing happened with DC's 75 Batman action figures for Batman's 75th Anniversary. They had Jason Todd, Terry, Thomas Wayne, and even Two-Face's Batman costumes as action figures, but Dick Grayson's Batman costume was absent.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/05...action-figures

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    They don't want to mention Dick as Batman. It's a time period they want people to forget. Same thing happened with DC's 75 Batman action figures for Batman's 75th Anniversary. They had Jason Todd, Terry, Thomas Wayne, and even Two-Face's Batman costumes as action figures, but Dick Grayson's Batman costume was absent.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/05...action-figures
    But they did mention that Dick "filled in" for Batman back in Nightwing #1. (I know, 2011 was soooooooo three years ago . . . )

But they did mention that Dick "filled in" for Batman back in Nightwing #1. (I know, 2011 was soooooooo three years ago . . . )
    Yeah, I know and they also mentioned he was Batman in Nightwing #30. As well as a few quick mentions in Inc., but outside those two series there has been nothing. Which is sad for the character's biggest development in 30 years. I think it is just telling they didn't include a DickBats action figure or mention him being Batman along with Damian becoming Robin in the timeline above. It isn't something they want to bring a lot of attention to.

i suppose i should take some sanctification from DC officially saying steph was really robin...

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    i suppose i should take some sanctification from DC officially saying steph was really robin...
    . . . when she was, but they sort of tried to not remember that for later stories (and it DEFINITELY didn't happen in the New 52 at this point).

One other time it was acknowledged:

A locked down New 52 timeline wouldn't actually help make anything more accessible or streamlined or easier for writers to work with...all it would do is reinforce the idea that you need to know the fictional "true history" of the lore in order to get into comics (a 3 year old Cliffs Notes version of 75 years publishing history at that), while also setting up needless barriers and frameworks that future writers would have to work around thus limiting their creativity and willingness to work for DC. I'm fairly certain the majority of readers don't care enough to be bothered by strict continuity - it would be going to far to please the pedantic sensibilities of a minority who need everything lined up and organised and explained to them excessively.

The timeline in the article is the only type that contributes to any meangingful overview of Batman lore - charting the first appearances of key characters and stories, which are always products of their time and thus tells you more about them than any wikia fictional biography or synopsis. And it's not made up.