Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16566263646566

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Busiek was working off the version that was at hand and that was pretty much the humorously impatient jerk version from X-Factor. He didn't even get to do much with Quicksilver because the character was either busy in his own short-lived solo book or was part of Magneto's cabinet on Genosha at the time. Anyway, he already had a couple of reclamation projects on his plate, seeing as he was going to tackle bringing Wonder Man back from the dead and Hank Pym's mental issues (the latter of which didn't work. he spent all sorts of time on it and people still think of Pym as the "crazy one"). So, trying to make Quicksilver nicer wasn't necessarily on the to-do list.
    Reading Quicksilver in Busiek's run, I totally didn't get the "humorously impatient jerk from X-Factor", I only got "impatient jerk". The only humourous thing I remember him saying was his comment to Justice when he unveiled his new costume. He was just a jerk or background scenery for most of the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan View Post
    That was news that floated around last fall on a couple of comic book sites. Fox was looking to develop an X-Factor tv show with Quicksilver as one of the cast. I don't know that it's ACTUALLY going to happen. Don't have the links handy as it was last fall
    I don't recall any news stories specifically saying that it was an X-Factor show. The articles that I read said it was an X-men-BASED show, and it was the majority of readers who suspected (and/or agreed) that an X-Factor show was the most likely thing to be produced. Or that it would make the best sense. Or would work best for television.

Thanks for the QatD screen shots- I want to track those down now.

Reading Quicksilver in Busiek's run, I totally didn't get the "humorously impatient jerk from X-Factor", I only got "impatient jerk". The only humourous thing I remember him saying was his comment to Justice when he unveiled his new costume. He was just a jerk or background scenery for most of the issues.
    Even in PAD's stories, QS was never a "funny" character (as in, he didn't crack wise or tell jokes that made other character laugh, like Multiple Man and Strong Guy did), he was just a good source of humor for the reader because he was so deadpan and dark.
    Quicksilver.tk

Quote Originally Posted by Living Silver View Post
    Even in PAD's stories, QS was never a "funny" character (as in, he didn't crack wise or tell jokes that made other character laugh, like Multiple Man and Strong Guy did), he was just a good source of humor for the reader because he was so deadpan and dark.
    It's true that Quicksilver doesn't often do jokes, he just says things which are funny in context. I 'm not good at describing humour, but it feels like Spiderman's humour is "rehearsed" whereas Quicksilver isn't aiming to get laughs at all...I think that's the big reason why I'm not liking Remender's take on Quicksilver .Well that and he speaks too colloquially...and the retcon..
    Anywoo, I still think Busiek's take on Quicksilver was more reminiscent of his 70s persona than 90s. There was very little that was endearing, and unintentionally funny about Quicksilver that I remember..I mean, there's one page where Pietro talks about his estranged family, maybe one instance of Pietro stealing guns from people and being smug about it, and like I mentioned before, getting annoyed at Justice for delaying an Avenger meeting. But maybe it's not fair companrison: X-Factor only had 7 characters, whereas the Avengers was a lot more crowded, so Pietro had more panel time in X-Factor than the Avengers.

Veteran Member

He seemed a bit lighter, with some self-deprecating humor, during the Avengers Academy run, where he was both snarky, on occasion, and the object of some snark, at other times.

There were even a few running gags, like him telling Finesse that Magneto used to test him and Wanda by sending assassins to kill them, and when Finesse later mentions it to Magneto (defending Quicksilver against his father, in what was a pretty amazing character turn for her), Magneto whispers to her something like, "They had orders not to actually kill them. Never tell Pietro this."

He also did something kind-hearted, helping to save Juston Seyfert's Sentinel from Emma all hopped on Phoenix, using super-speed to save part of it's computer brain (that Juston could use to rebuild the Sentinel) faster than Emma could see as she destroyed it. After she left, he handed it to Juston and said, "I wasn't being nice or anything. I just didn't want to hear you all whine about it for the next week."

I liked that he remained standoffish, and whenever he did something halfway decent, it was entirely on his terms, rather than be soft-pedaled into a big softy or go through the kind of 'might as well have just killed him' characterization change that befell Warren Worthington, or, arguably, Scott or Hank or Xavier.

^ There's also the argument that even when he DID do something completely out of altruism, he didn't want people to know or think it was for that reason, because then they would expect it again and again, and also because such motivation makes people a bit more vulnerable, which I don't think Pietro likes.

But, yes, I loved the way Gage wrote him. I wish he could do so again, but my guess is that ship has long sailed.

I wonder if the other characters believe his assertion that he saved Speedball's cat and Justin's sentinel because he didn't want to be bothered by the children whining. Maybe they can see through his excuses?
    I also liked that the usually very unemotional Finesse had an angry outburst because of Magneto berating Quicksilver. The thing though, is that we didn't get to see a lot of their interactions, so it's not entirely clear why she became so attached to her teacher.
    electr1cgoblin, why dod you think Gage will never again write Quicksilver? I know he's not currently working at Marvel, but I don't see why he would never do a project for them in the future. Is there something I'm missing?

electr1cgoblin, why dod you think Gage will never again write Quicksilver? I know he's not currently working at Marvel, but I don't see why he would never do a project for them in the future. Is there something I'm missing?
    Well, I didn't say "never" but my guess is it won't happen.

Why? Gage isn't working for Marvel now, and they didn't exactly throw choice stuff his way when he WAS there (and they should have). My guess is that he'll be happier working for other companies.

I also don't think that anyone writing Quicksilver any time soon is a big priority for the company. They, uhm, did what they did in the movies, and I don't see any substantive (or really, any) plans for him in the new "Secret Wars" or "Battleworld" or Marvel 3.0 or whatever the new universe is going to be called, either.

Could be wrong, of course, but I'm just calling them as I see them.

I'm sure someone has brought it up in this thread already and I don't know why it has taken this long to dawn on me, but are there any thoughts in here as to the continuity issue of Quicksilver having been depowered by M-day if he's not actually a mutant?

Quote Originally Posted by bandoogiemanz View Post
    I'm sure someone has brought it up in this thread already and I don't know why it has taken this long to dawn on me, but are there any thoughts in here as to the continuity issue of Quicksilver having been depowered by M-day if he's not actually a mutant?
    It makes no sense, because even prior to House of M, there were other proofs that he was a mutant. Like, being detected by Sentinels as a mutant, his daughter Luna being human because his mutant genes and his wife's Inhuman genes "cancelled each other out" (which makes no sense in real world biology, but then many things in the Marvel U makes no sense by "real world" standards). Then there's the Onslaught saga, where Pietro is left behind by the Avengers because he's a mutant . Then there's also the "no more humans" storyline from last year where he and his sister were not spirited away with the rest of the humans. Also, he's been part of the mutant world for a long time, so this retcon feels like an erasure of that history.
    So yeah, this revelation really screws up a lot of continuity.

Veteran Member

HOPELESS' "HOUSE OF M" EXAMINES INTRIGUES OF MAGNETO'S BATTLEWORLD MONARCHY

CBR News: Does "House of M" reimagin the world of the titular reality, or is it what would have happened if the heroes of the 616 never disrupted it? Basically, when we enter the borders of the Monarchy of M in your first issue, have things changed all that much since the last time readers visited this reality?

Dennis Hopeless: Our story revolves around an established and thriving House of Magnus. Magneto is the king of his domain and rules over a mutant-centric Genosha. Obviously the Battleworld of it all shifts things around a bit, but our status quo is more or less the original "House of M" premise. Wanda has her chaos magic powers in our story, but she doesn't use them to remake the universe. She's just a scary powerful princess and doting mother. Quicksilver is a headstrong prince who thinks he knows better than Daddy. Lorna thinks they're all crazy.

The original "House of M" series featured a sprawling cast. How many characters are you playing with in this series?

We're mainly focusing on the royal family, Namor and a handful of human rebels. Hawkeye, Black Cat and Misty Knight play big roles in the story. We threw a "House of M" Death Locket in there (because nobody said I couldn't). I always really enjoyed this version of the Marvel universe and jumped at the chance to tell a royal family story focusing on Magneto as king. This guy has always been a warrior and he was a great one. What's it like for Magneto to hang up the helmet and play king to a bunch of happy mutants? This series is our answer to that question.

With the Monarchy of M, Magneto has achieved his goal of creating a sort of mutant utopia, but his domain is part of Battleworld, which is made up of a lot of realms where mutants are persecuted and suffering, like the nearby Sentinel Territories. How big a role does the rest of Battleworld play in your "House of M" series?

This story is very self-contained. Magneto and his family rule this one domain and don't really concern themselves much with the others. The plot keeps everyone pretty busy, so it was easy enough to keep it localized. You could definitely read this series with no prior knowledge of "Secret Wars" or Battleworld.

Focusing in a little more on some story specifics, how big is the scope and scale of "House of M?" What sort of genres are you playing with here? Seems like the monarchy element might make thing rife for courtly intrigue.

It's a bit of a be-careful-what-you-wish-for story. We open on a bored Magneto lamenting the loss of his old exciting life. He's a warrior who has run out of wars, living this slow monotonous life of royal luxury -- and he hates it. We spend much of the book reminding him what his old life felt like. Magneto's children feel very differently and yeah, they're right in the thick of the drama.

Artist Kris Anka, was originally slated to bring "House of M" to life, but I understand he had to depart the project because of scheduling issues.

Yes, the new artists are Marco Failla and Ario Anindito. We just started getting art in from Marco (Which looks incredible), and I can't wait to see what Ario has in store.

This isn't the first time Marvel has taken readers back to the "House of M" reality. What is it about this particular reality that makes it such an intriguing place to revisit, both for writers and readers?

It's just a really fun twist on mutants. Nearly every hero in the Marvel Universe is some kind of celebrity who gets to live pretty large off of their gifts, but mutants have always been the second-class citizens. "House of M" flips that on its head and shows us the opposite. There's a lot of potential in that setting. It helps that the original event gave us a tiny taste of this world, and then yanked it away. There were so many stories left untold, and I'm really enjoying this opportunity to tell one.

My good friend Cullen Bunn is stepping in to co-write issues #2-4 of "House of M" with m,e and so far we are having a blast. Nobody knows Magneto better than Cullen, so he was a perfect addition to the team. I can't wait for fans to see what we have in store!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...world-monarchy

It's true that Quicksilver doesn't often do jokes, he just says things which are funny in context. I 'm not good at describing humour, but it feels like Spiderman's humour is "rehearsed" whereas Quicksilver isn't aiming to get laughs at all...I think that's the big reason why I'm not liking Remender's take on Quicksilver .Well that and he speaks too colloquially...and the retcon..
    Anywoo, I still think Busiek's take on Quicksilver was more reminiscent of his 70s persona than 90s. There was very little that was endearing, and unintentionally funny about Quicksilver that I remember..I mean, there's one page where Pietro talks about his estranged family, maybe one instance of Pietro stealing guns from people and being smug about it, and like I mentioned before, getting annoyed at Justice for delaying an Avenger meeting. But maybe it's not fair companrison: X-Factor only had 7 characters, whereas the Avengers was a lot more crowded, so Pietro had more panel time in X-Factor than the Avengers.
    I haven't actually read Busiek's Avengers, but I might as well do it now (as I gave up on Uncanny Avengers). Remner's version of Pietro must not be very well liked- there's been little activity in this thread since X-Factor ended. Even WITH A:AoU being released.
    Quicksilver.tk

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Those are some funky outfits. Magneto and Pietro seem to be channeling their best Hugo Boss Nazi-wear, which, particularly for Mags, is punching irony right in it's face. Wanda is pretending to be a little girl wearing adult jammies, complete with *insane* wrap-around straightjacket sleeves (foreshadowing much?). And Wolverine. I don't know if that look is sending the right message. He's obviously the last person who should be wearing white, given that he's the best at what he does, and what he does best is be sneaky and get blood all over his clothes. That one-black-leg asymmetrical thing would look fine, on, say, Psylocke...