Page 211 of 241 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,165 of 3602

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Now that IS cool. Kudos to your Dad.

My favourite Legionnaire will always be Cosmic Boy. It's one of those things where the little kiddie me still exists in my head and is saying 'He's really cool. He's my favourite.' Why ignore him you know?
    Yeah, I get that. Lightning Lad or Livewire, Garth has always been my favorite of the founders, and as a kid, he was my favorite member overall. Since then though, there's two I've come to like more. Ferro, as I already mentioned, and Gates.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    Yeah, I get that. Lightning Lad or Livewire, Garth has always been my favorite of the founders, and as a kid, he was my favorite member overall. Since then though, there's two I've come to like more. Ferro, as I already mentioned, and Gates.
    Yeah, Gates is great. I always found Dawnstar to be impossibly exotic. Starfire. Polar Boy. Sun Boy. Mon-El. Triplicate Girl. Dream Girl. Blok. The list goes on.

I think we're contributing to thread drift here technically, since there is NOTHING controversial in waxing lyrical about the awesomeness of these characters and their world.

Long Live The Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Yeah, Gates is great. I always found Dawnstar to be impossibly exotic. Starfire. Polar Boy. Sun Boy. Mon-El. Triplicate Girl. Dream Girl. Blok. The list goes on.

I think we're contributing to thread drift here technically, since there is NOTHING controversial in waxing lyrical about the awesomeness of these characters and their world.

Long Live The Legion.
    Long Live the Legion, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    That could be the premise. Swampy has some sort of delusion that he's starring in a silver age comic, so he gets a costume and joins the League cuz he simply thinks that's the thing to do. The League goes along with it until they can figure out what's going on.
    That was my basic idea - though I had the JLA going along with it more for damage control than figuring out what was going on.

How about this for controversy: The Legion as portrayed in the Great Darkness Saga (So we're talking early eighties here) by Levitz had become a bit whiny. Levitz has a Legionair break down into tears or throw a jealous tantrum ever other page it seems. Dream Girl gets her much desired leadership of the legion in the last panel of issue #291 and the first things she does as she leads a contingent of Legionaires to the Sorcerers World in #292 is declaring "This isn't the first mission I wanted as Legion Leader!". Well, that's not something I want to hear from my newly elected leader. Not much of a confidence booster. But no worse than previous leader Lighning Lad who just resigns as leader in a childish tantrum (devastating parts of the HQ) when Chameleon Boy (For reasons that never seem to be explained) takes a couple of Legionairs to the Khund Homeworld without his consent. That whole group comes across as a bunch of people with severe emotional problems.

I know it's the eighties with it's angst and stuff but jeez. The more I read the more anoyed I became. Everybody seems to waddle in self-pity! Are things going to pick up in the 'The Curse'-tpb (taking us through #313) or do we keep the 'I didn't win the election so now I'm going to be mean to you till you cry'-tone?

I recently came across (Superboy and the) LoSH #199 from 1973 and both the art and the depiction of the Legion are, as my tastes go, a relief compared to those early eighties issues from the Great Darknes Saga.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    I don't hate her or Duke but sometimes I feel like Snyder is attempting to push his creations as the 'new' additions to the Batfamily at the cost of the other estabilished Batfam members.

Speaking of new additions, this might be unpopular in the Superman forum, but I really like Jon Kent, one of the best additions to the Superfamily in years imo.
    I love Jon Kent aswell! He is actually a fun addition to the fold and he works great off both Superman and Damian Wayne. I really disliked Damian at first (Why do we need another new Robin when we got a perfectly fine Tim Drake?) but together with Kent, DC really works the fun / comedy-element well.

When I think of Duke, Harper Row, Batwing (I actually had to look up what his superhero name was)or even Spoiler, I get that scene from Resevoir Dogs in my head where Steve Buscemi is playing the worlds smallest violin, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Ales View Post
    I love Jon Kent aswell! He is actually a fun addition to the fold and he works great off both Superman and Damian Wayne. I really disliked Damian at first (Why do we need another new Robin when we got a perfectly fine Tim Drake?) but together with Kent, DC really works the fun / comedy-element well.

When I think of Duke, Harper Row, Batwing (I actually had to look up what his superhero name was)or even Spoiler, I get that scene from Resevoir Dogs in my head where Steve Buscemi is playing the worlds smallest violin, really.
    Comparing Steph to those other three is like comparing a golden god to cockroaches.

There's just no comparison between the quality and popularity of the characters.

I don't hate her or Duke but sometimes I feel like Snyder is attempting to push his creations as the 'new' additions to the Batfamily at the cost of the other estabilished Batfam members.
    I begin in N52 but.... I prefer the Post-Crisis Batfamily.. Especially, his Robins and Batgirls.. Poor Barbara, I hate Burnside..

I put Batwing and Grayson allies as exceptions..

Maya in Robin: Son of Batman liked me more than the rest of Bat-allies in N52..
    Last edited by adrikito; 03-22-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    I begin in N52 but.... I prefer the Post-Crisis Batfamily.. Especially, his Robins and Batgirls.. Poor Barbara, I hate Burnside..

I put Batwing and Grayson allies as exceptions..

Maya in Robin: Son of Batman liked me more than the rest of Bat-allies in N52..
    For me the best Batfam lineup was the one with Batman Dick, with Red Robin, Black Bat, Batgirl Steph and Damian imo. But I enjoy the one with Bruce as Batman, Tim as Robin, Cass as Batgirl, Steph as Spoiler and Barbara as Oracle and mentor to Cass and Steph.

I like Maya too! I want her to appear in SuperSons

For me the best Batfam lineup was the one with Batman Dick, with Red Robin, Black Bat, Batgirl Steph and Damian imo. But I enjoy the one with Bruce as Batman, Tim as Robin, Cass as Batgirl, Steph as Spoiler and Barbara as Oracle and mentor to Cass and Steph.
    The bolded era is, unsurprisingly, my favorite lineup. You forgot Jean-Paul in there though. Starting in around 1998, until 2003, Azrael was a core part of the Family. Also Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    The bolded era is, unsurprisingly, my favorite lineup. You forgot Jean-Paul in there though. Starting in around 1998, until 2003, Azrael was a core part of the Family. Also Nightwing.
    Oh yeah, Nightwing .

I still have to read a lot of the pre-Damian Batfam era, I started reading comics when Damian was Robin so for me, Damian was Robin and Steph was Batgirl (but Cass as Batgirl was fantastic and imo one of the best Batcomics DC has ever released). I still have to read Dixon's comics and I will eventually

I just remembered that Damian and Steph's little brother-big sister relation ship was entirely retconned

I still have to read a lot of the pre-Damian Batfam era, I started reading comics when Damian was Robin so for me, Damian was Robin and Steph was Batgirl (but Cass as Batgirl was fantastic and imo one of the best Batcomics DC has ever released). I still have to read Dixon's comics and I will eventually

I just remembered that Damian and Steph's little brother-big sister relation ship was entirely retconned
    Dixon is a fantastic writer, from his Robin, to his Nightwing, to his fill in issues on Cass's book. (Hilariously, HE'S credited as the writer for the newly released Batgirl vol 3 trade on Amazon, instead of Puckett)

As for the era itself, the books are really good, but it pretty much shows life at its suckiest for Bruce. I'll tell you this though. Starting with War Games, and until Damian's introduction, Cass's solo book was the only one that was still any good.

And yeah, Steph and Damian's big sis lil bro relationship was amazing. My second favorite relationship in the Batfamily after Cass and Steph's [strike]lovers[strike] best friendship relationship.

Lastly, Cass's solo book is by far my favorite bat book of all time, bad issues and all. Puckett's run I find to be objectively the best run DC has ever put out, closely followed by Young Justice and Simone's Secret Six.

I like Maya too! I want her to appear in SuperSons
    Dick is a great batman, I liked the batman robin vol 1... Yes, these characters are the best Lineup. Sorry, Bruce..

Barbara..... Damn, Burnside.. She is less mature..

I see 2 recent Gleason images of her.. One with the Supersons(the called tiny trinity), another with only Maya.... Before 2018, she will have returned.
    Last edited by adrikito; 03-22-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I have read the first trade of Rob Williams' Martian Manhunter (yay, Mr Biscuits) and Suicide Squad (Rebirth) today and liked MM more. I also prefer the artist Eddy Barrows to Jim Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    My controversial opinion on Batman films is that the Burton films are dated and kinda crap. All 4 of those movies are just 90s celebrities dressing up as Batman villains with an evil plot, with Batman reacting to them. Batman and Robin is pretty much a remake of Batman Returns with the gothic style and weird fetishism replaced with a campy style and Silver Age fetishism (and with an added Robin and Batgirl). The first two are just Burton films where he gets wrapped up in his own style and forgets to write a story or even have a half decent structure... so like most Burton films.

I know how much 90s kids love to talk up Michael Keaton but his Batman is unrecognisable from the comics and not a good character in his own right. He plays Bruce Wayne as a socially awkward weirdo like every other superhero and his Batman plays second to the villains of the week and rarely does anything interesting.

Maybe they can be enjoyable for the nostalgia attached and some cool villains but they aren't good by any stretch.
    This is true.

"My controversial opinion for the day is that I want to see a live-action Batman movie that plays the character straight but still appeals to all ages ." What is playing the character straight