Page 94 of 94 FirstFirst ... 44849091929394
Results 1,396 to 1,406 of 1406

Don't know if its been mentioned in this thread and I don't participate much in here but via some facebooks friends that knew the deceased woman and are outraged there is a big controversy in Idaho over a transgender woman's funeral.

Jennifer Gable was born male as Geoff Gable but transitioned to female around 2007. Jennifer died suddenly at age 32 of aneurysm. Her family utterly disrespected her life by having the funeral home cut her hair, dress her as a male, and bury her as Geoff. Friends of Jennifer, some who knew her as Geoff, are outraged.

http://magicvalley.com/news/local/ar...9c37e2843.html

Senior Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Don't know if its been mentioned in this thread and I don't participate much in here but via some facebooks friends that knew the deceased woman and are outraged there is a big controversy in Idaho over a transgender woman's funeral.

Jennifer Gable was born male as Geoff Gable but transitioned to female around 2007. Jennifer died suddenly at age 32 of aneurysm. Her family utterly disrespected her life by having the funeral home cut her hair, dress her as a male, and bury her as Geoff. Friends of Jennifer, some who knew her as Geoff, are outraged.

I saw it briefly pop-up on Facebook but didn't check the main article. I would guess either the birth certificate was used as a basis, or the 'next-of-kin' referenced in the article was never comfortable with her identity. Regardless, what makes someone's identity comes from her, not from anyone else in the family. I hope there is some reconciliation out of this, because to celebrate someone's life in that fashion is a nightmare. In the very least the funeral director should have question the next-of-kin's wishes very heavily. I really hope similar cases don't crop up, but there's bound to be, right?

(also I have to answer a survey to read some of it)

-

There's an article in The I today (I'd guess it's in The Independent as well but idk), pp32-33 called 'I love you just the way you are'. It gives background on a new book being published by Kristin Russo and Dannielle Owens-Reid entitled This is a Book for Parents of Gay Teens, and features advice, personal stories and a word glossary on terms straight parents probably won't know like FTM. The writing duo have also collaborated on a site called Everyone Is Gay, which also has a Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, Vimeo and YouTube channels. I hope that someone finds this useful.

One quote which stands out to me:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle Owens-Reid
    These parents are so cool with their kid being gay that they don't ask any questions, either because they think it would betray that they are indeed struggling, or because they think they don't have any. Their kid is gay, they still love them, case closed.

It kind of forecloses the way that you can love your kid if you can't let yourself ask any questions. It is different to walk down the street as a queer person than it is to walk down the street as a straight person. I think there is a real danger in saying no one is different.
    -

Been doing some Media research and came across a book which isn't strictly on transgender issues, but has a good summary on the divide between biological sex and created gender. There's a 7 page preview which is worth reading for anyone interested in understanding gender identity. Especially good bit on how we make assumptions about a child's gender identity before they are even born.
    Last edited by America / Bucky / Russia; Yesterday at 04:21 AM.
    Some links about me:
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Dailymotion
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

Do you like the character of Ho Po-Wing? Am I missing something? Can you expand on what it is about it that you love, to help me understand/appreciate it better?
    Well I don't know what I would say to make you change your mind if you just weren't feeling the movie, but I loved the raw techniques and tone the film had which added to all the raw emotions of the characters. The loose narrative and choppiness felt very natural to watch and it felt like a legitimate couple with a ton of issues. The back and forth felt very natural and I wanted to see them grow and work through their problems but no matter what, it just wasn't going to work. It also felt great to see a queer couple that wasn't as love-dovey and going through a lot of situations. Most of the time it just felt like I was watching a couple and not a "gay couple" if you get my meaning.

Also, the situation and sub-plot with the co-worker was very subtle and endearing and also heart aching to watch because they seem so perfect for each other but there was that fear of being completely naked that neither of them couldn't break. Both due to society and their past. It felt so real.

The style just added to it. It just felt like a movie made for me and the aesthetic of what makes film very fascinating and fun for me as both a viewer and film-maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    On the topic of "black men aren't hot" BS; thanks to the "Who Should Play Luke Cage?" thread; I just discovered this little hottie!
    Wait wha? Can you link me to this?

Yeah I saw it on Huffington Post:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_6212900.html

Sad and scary that one's family can just change your appearance to suit them and not even use your legal name. Jennifer was in fact her legal name even if they don't want to believe she's female then "his" name was still Jennifer.

“I am disgusted,” Stacy Dee Hudson reportedly posted on Facebook. “A great and dear friend’s mom went to the funeral today. It was not closed casket. They cut her hair, suit on. How can they bury her as Geoff when she legally changed her name. So very sad. Jen you will be missed and people who know you know that you are at peace.”
    Make it blue
    "Define 'normal' and make a good case for it", Bruce Wayne. GOTHAM

Original Join Date: Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Yeah I saw it on Huffington Post:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_6212900.html

Sad and scary that one's family can just change your appearance to suit them and not even use your legal name. Jennifer was in fact her legal name even if they don't want to believe she's female then "his" name was still Jennifer.

“I am disgusted,” Stacy Dee Hudson reportedly posted on Facebook. “A great and dear friend’s mom went to the funeral today. It was not closed casket. They cut her hair, suit on. How can they bury her as Geoff when she legally changed her name. So very sad. Jen you will be missed and people who know you know that you are at peace.”
    Shitty thing to do, as revenge, I'd be getting a proper headstone and doing some midnight switcherooing. Or at least some graffiti.

I'd be so impossibly angry for my friend.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Senior Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

More interesting stuff from The Telegraph on an evolutionary perspective on homosexuality:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Diana Fleischman
    "From an evolutionary perspective we tend to think of sexual behaviour as a means to an end for reproduction.
    "However, because sexual behaviour is intimate and pleasurable, it is also used in many species, including non-human primates, to help form and maintain social bonds. We can all see this in romantic couples who bond by engaging in sexual behaviour even when reproduction is not possible.
    “Having some degree of attraction to the opposite sex is a type of adaptive behaviour, and in any adaptive behaviour you will see extremes of the spectrum, hence some people will only be attracted to members of the same sex.
    “But the research suggests that having exclusively heterosexual thoughts is a disadvantage – it’s better to be a little bit attracted to the opposite sex.”
    Some links about me:
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Dailymotion
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out

All-New Time_to_Zap Time Like Lightning's Avatar

Issue #5 of The Wicked + The Divine revealed that one of the characters is transgender.

In case you're not familiar with the Image comics series by none other than Young Avengers team Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie, here's some relatively spoiler-free art to get you hooked.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

Ambrose Redmoon said that, but you totally heard it first in Princess Diaries.

If anyone else is a fan of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. like I am, here's a link to an article on thebacklot (a gay website) talking about the best and worst aspects of the show's second season. http://www.thebacklot.com/the-best-a...hield/11/2014/
    Reading this made me really wish they would make Fitz and Mac a couple, but it'll probably just continue to be "subtext."

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I'd LOVE it if Toadette was trans!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    That's interesting about Toad and Toadette. I knew they weren't actually mushrooms, those are hats. Also Birdo is supposed to be Transgender, Birdo was described as being a boy dinosaur that wanted to be a girl.
    Birdo is actually credited as THE FIRST openly LGBT character in computer games. The Northstar of computer games, if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    Vanille and Fang (Final Fantasy XIII)...depending on who you ask. The game itself never states that they're romantically interested in each other, but they do share a bond that goes deeper than friendship. Though it is the FF fanbase, and they mostly want them to be lesbians for the hot girl-on-girl action.
    And Cloud/Sephiroth or Squall/Seifer both have very "erotic" undertones.

Something like this makes me so angry and so sad at the same time. Shame on that family; how dare they! At a time of grieving they let their pettiness and hatred take over. it's disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Well I don't know what I would say to make you change your mind if you just weren't feeling the movie, but I loved the raw techniques and tone the film had which added to all the raw emotions of the characters. The loose narrative and choppiness felt very natural to watch and it felt like a legitimate couple with a ton of issues. The back and forth felt very natural and I wanted to see them grow and work through their problems but no matter what, it just wasn't going to work. It also felt great to see a queer couple that wasn't as love-dovey and going through a lot of situations. Most of the time it just felt like I was watching a couple and not a "gay couple" if you get my meaning.

Also, the situation and sub-plot with the co-worker was very subtle and endearing and also heart aching to watch because they seem so perfect for each other but there was that fear of being completely naked that neither of them couldn't break. Both due to society and their past. It felt so real.

The style just added to it. It just felt like a movie made for me and the aesthetic of what makes film very fascinating and fun for me as both a viewer and film-maker.
    See, reading this through your eyes, makes it sound much more like Secrets & Lies (1995); which is AWESOME (due to the improv, the surprises, the natural dialogue). I did enjoy the subtlety of the coworkers scenes (which were my favourite scenes). I rooted for them to get together *le sigh*

I disagree about they "queer couple that wasn't love-dovey" because that is certainly a much more RARE example of LGBT couples in cinema. I can think of tons of failed/doomed/destructive gay couples, but "love-dovey"? No, that is a rarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Wait wha? Can you link me to this?
    It's only speculation on CBR, not conformation of the actual short-list.
    http://community.comicbookresources....-For-Luke-Cage

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    EPIC! But damn, this makes me miss Young Avengers sooooooo much

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    If anyone else is a fan of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. like I am, here's a link to an article on thebacklot (a gay website) talking about the best and worst aspects of the show's second season. http://www.thebacklot.com/the-best-a...hield/11/2014/
    Reading this made me really wish they would make Fitz and Mac a couple, but it'll probably just continue to be "subtext."
    I keep meaning to watch the episodes with Victoria Hand; but I never get round to it. I guess I've not put the effort in because I've sort of decided to boycott all MCU films and products (at-least in terms of paying to see them, i.e. cinema or buying them on DVD, or watching them on TV when the ratings are recorded) until they introduce an LGBT character. It's 2014, and I'm tired of being treated like I don't matter. VOTED WITH YOUR WALLET; and my wallet is done giving money to a company who wants to pretend LGBT people don't exist or deserve representation.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; Today at 05:08 AM.