Page 359 of 359 FirstFirst ... 259309349355356357358359
Results 5,371 to 5,379 of 5379

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I figure this thread is aimed more towards Christian belief, but considering the thread title;

Currently I'm reading the Satanic Bible written by Anton LeVay. I didn't get through much besides the first page but it has an interesting start, hypocritical church goers. According to this; the big push to starting the Church of Satan was that the very practice of going to church was particularly hypocritical when the same people who begged for forgiveness once again went out and dived deep into earthly pleasures. The very notion that the practitioners are easily capable of being hypocritical jerks isn't new to me (I've personally known plenty), but the fact that it started a movement of playing Devil's advocate is noteworthy.

I gotta say that I can't wait to see where this book goes.
    Is the idea in the book to worship a real Satan? Or embrace those things the Church considered sins and coming from Satan?
    With Great Power, yadda, yadda, yadda....

I always figured it was just a cash grab. A version of L-Ron Hubbard who was into horror instead of space opera.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I always figured it was just a cash grab. A version of L-Ron Hubbard who was into horror instead of space opera.
    Could be said of many Churches.
    Last edited by Kirby101; Today at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    so, who invented monotheism?
    the egypts or the jews?
    Judaism (invent's not the best wording "progressed to first" maybe). Akhenaten was more monolatry as were the early Israelites. Basically they acknowledged that there were other gods but only one is worthy of worship all other don't even need to be named. Some where around the time of the Kingdom of Judah's Babylonian Exile "Judaism" emerged. This was the complete and utter existence of other deities was false and that there was only one God.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Judaism (invent's not the best wording "progressed to first" maybe). Akhenaten was more monolatry as were the early Israelites. Basically they acknowledged that there were other gods but only one is worthy of worship all other don't even need to be named. Some where around the time of the Kingdom of Judah's Babylonian Exile "Judaism" emerged. This was the complete and utter existence of other deities was false and that there was only one God.
    And thus the heavy influence of Babylonian myth into the Hebrew scriptures.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

I figure this thread is aimed more towards Christian belief, but considering the thread title;

Currently I'm reading the Satanic Bible written by Anton LeVay. I didn't get through much besides the first page but it has an interesting start, hypocritical church goers. According to this; the big push to starting the Church of Satan was that the very practice of going to church was particularly hypocritical when the same people who begged for forgiveness once again went out and dived deep into earthly pleasures. The very notion that the practitioners are easily capable of being hypocritical jerks isn't new to me (I've personally known plenty), but the fact that it started a movement of playing Devil's advocate is noteworthy.
    That's kind of painting a broad stroke on all Christians. Are some doing that? Sure. Are all of them? No.

Do we all sin? Yes. Do we all repent and ask for forgiveness? No (and I mean true repentance, not just going through the motions). Therein lies the difference.

So no, I don't see how Christians who walk with the Lord every day are hypocritical.
    I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

Today's devotion:

PRACTICE: LIVING AS CHILDREN OF LIGHT
    https://www.todayintheword.org/issue.../devotions/22/
    I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    That's kind of painting a broad stroke on all Christians. Are some doing that? Sure. Are all of them? No.

Do we all sin? Yes. Do we all repent and ask for forgiveness? No (and I mean true repentance, not just going through the motions). Therein lies the difference.

So no, I don't see how Christians who walk with the Lord every day are hypocritical.
    Agree with you 100 percent. The Bible is also full of examples of people who sinned and then sought redemption. And a few who sinned and then paid the wages of sin - death. Its a book whose sole purpose is redemption of the imperfect. Not redemption of the perfect.

The key difference between a Christian and a non-Christian isn't perfection or lack of sin - its that Christians are no longer slaves to sin because they have a connection to the only way to erase its hold on their lives - Christ Jesus (Romans 6:6).
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I gotta say that I can't wait to see where this book goes.
    Ironically LeVay was called out as a hypocrite by his own members when he began to ask them form money. Also his daughter has said most of the stories that he told of his own life was a lie. LeVay was a show man of sorts that put on plays for the the people, he liked the fame that infamy brought. His books are only playing to an audience that already has a bias and out look on certain aspects of society and people.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting