Page 2 of 348 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

I've been looking at Proverbs a lot recently; lots of great stuff in there! Although I'd consider myself a Christian, I unfortunately don't read the Bible all that often. A couple of weeks ago, though, I was reading Job. That book may be one of my favorites: great story almost in the form of an epic poem. Lots of beautiful lines in there! (Watchmen, anybody? "I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls." )
    Formerly the guy with the Black Panther picture

BANNED

I read the bible quite a bit, but I still did poorly on this Gospel Quiz.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

Quote Originally Posted by bloodofthegods View Post
    I haven't in many years. I was raised on it though, and have read probably more times that most front to back. I remember Song of Solomon being some great poetry, which was a bit more interesting as a younger person. As I got older I could even see the romantic poetry turn into erotica a bit. Mild yes, but the insinuations were certainly there, I just had to have the mindset.

Job was pretty interesting, but I don't see the conclusions of use it in the context of what most use it for as a debate on god's plan and/or love for humanity. I actually see it quite the opposite.

Revelations was of course a neat book to read young because of the all the monsters and symbolic things. When I had to read the bible daily I spent a lot of time reading revelations, even though I didn't understand all the symbolism.
    I would like to suggest you read John, the last of the four gospels.
    I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by weezer17 View Post
    I've been looking at Proverbs a lot recently; lots of great stuff in there! Although I'd consider myself a Christian, I unfortunately don't read the Bible all that often. A couple of weeks ago, though, I was reading Job. That book may be one of my favorites: great story almost in the form of an epic poem. Lots of beautiful lines in there! (Watchmen, anybody? "I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls." )
    It certainly is. Job shows us that as Christians, we are not exempt from bad things happening to us and that we will go through tough times, but God will always be with us and bless us. We just have to have faith in Him.
    I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    I read the bible quite a bit, but I still did poorly on this Gospel Quiz.
    I just looked at the questions to that quiz and it's quite misleading. For example, question 8 asked "How did Judas die?" and they gave two answers "He hung himself" and "He fell to the ground and his guts spilled open". BOTH of these things happened, each answer was just written about in two separate books of the bible. Judas hung himself and the branch that he hung from broke and when he fell to the ground, his guts spilled open.

So don't feel bad because I think that quiz was designed to confuse and play on words.
    Last edited by The Whovian; 09-23-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Incredible Member Iron_Legion87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    It certainly is. Job shows us that as Christians, we are not exempt from bad things happening to us and that we will go through tough times, but God will always be with us and bless us. We just have to have faith in Him.
    That's true! I am going through a rough patch but still believe God will see me through it!

Bible quizzing this year is focused Galations Ephesians, Philipeans, Collossians and Philemon.

So yah, that's what I have been reading.

Meet Brianne de Chateau! CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

What book of the bible are you reading? I like to read chapters from one book of the Old Testament and New Testament at the same time. I'm currently reading Habakkuk and Hebrews.
    Indeed this is a Nice Idea for a Thread Dark Knight1047.

I was raised and still live by the Roman Catholic Faith and Teachings of the Bible.

Been to long since I did any reading or examination of the bible so I am at a similar point that Weezer17 is. But still, I remember Sunday School and the teachings I got from theme which helped form my main bases of my knowledge of the Bible. But now recently I am starting to do more reading and with that I got a new copy of the Bible that is at the top of my list. Show while I read threw it I will give my passages and views of the ones that stand out most to me here.

Still, their are a decent amount of passages I know and indeed live my life by; one of my Favorites that I always recount in my daily life and even when I am posting here on CBR is:

Luke 6:31-

"Do to Others as You Would have them do to You."
    Meet Dragon Ball Super's Brianne De Chateau!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_uF7wkiWWY&t=7s
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread!

Awesome thread, I can't really imagine why I never thought of it.

The morning should get me back on my reading plan. It's been an inconsistent few months. I use biblegateway on my iPad and phone. Currently it's proverbs and New Testament ,which is fine by me. I want to throw in a psalm at night but it's better to stick to getting consistent period for now.

I encourage you guys to download the Youversion bible app. It has a ton of reading plans and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I encourage you guys to download the Youversion bible app. It has a ton of reading plans and stuff.
    It's one of my favourite apps. I'm doing the One Year Bible again this year and really trying hard to stick to it every day. I did terribly last year but I haven't missed a day this year. It's one of those weird translations, NLT. I change it when I feel like it to NIV and if I'm feeling whimsical, NKJ. It's fun to hop around from OT to NT and get a psalm and proverb every day.

I'm a huge Paul fanboy. I'm in his letters now, just started Ephesians.

Well, I know you're being facetious but Jesus did talk about these issues in the old testament
    Jesus never speaks a word in the Old Testament.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Again, God and Jesus are one in the same. Jesus is God's son, but essentially Jesus is God in human form. So stuff that God said was immoral in the OT still stands.

I think I'm going to dive back into Jacob and Esau again, sometime soon. Seriously the maddest story.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    There's an Elijah-is-a-sock-puppet gag in this somewhere.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

What book of the bible are you reading? I like to read chapters from one book of the Old Testament and New Testament at the same time. I'm currently reading Habakkuk and Hebrews.
    Great topic thread!

Interestingly, I just happened on Habakkuk a few weeks ago. I can't promise that I'd ever read it before, and if so, I didn't recall it.

My favorite passages:

"Why do you make men like fish of the sea,
    Like creeping things that have no ruler over them?" (1:14)

And from a bit earlier:

"Are you not from everlasting,
    O Lord my God, my Holy One?
    We shall not die." (1:12)

If I read the "we shall not die" passage correctly, I think it concerns national rather than individual salvation. The prophet's concern is with Israel's continued existence as a testament to God's word.

The concept that I've continually returned to from Hebrews is that the law is only "a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things." (10:1)

I also find the passage about "Jesus having become high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek" (6:20) fascinating. As far as Old Testament figures go, Melchizidek doesn't exactly stand out: he's pretty much gone as quickly as he came. I like how the author uses this as an analogy for Christ's eternal nature; Melchizidek is, figuratively speaking, "without father, without mother, without genealogy" but Christ literally has "neither beginning of days nor end of life." (7:3)