Page 4 of 348 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Indeed this is a Nice Idea for a Thread Dark Knight1047.

I was raised and still live by the Roman Catholic Faith and Teachings of the Bible.

Been to long since I did any reading or examination of the bible so I am at a similar point that Weezer17 is. But still, I remember Sunday School and the teachings I got from theme which helped form my main bases of my knowledge of the Bible. But now recently I am starting to do more reading and with that I got a new copy of the Bible that is at the top of my list. Show while I read threw it I will give my passages and views of the ones that stand out most to me here.

Still, their are a decent amount of passages I know and indeed live my life by; one of my Favorites that I always recount in my daily life and even when I am posting here on CBR is:

Luke 6:31-

"Do to Others as You Would have them do to You."
    Absolutely. That's what Jesus taught us. I bought a new bible a couple years ago (I have about 4 different ones) but the youth pastor at my church recommended a bible that has a lot of neat stuff in it. I can't remember what's it called off the top of my head (I have it written down somewhere) but I plan on buying it.
    I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Awesome thread, I can't really imagine why I never thought of it.

The morning should get me back on my reading plan. It's been an inconsistent few months. I use biblegateway on my iPad and phone. Currently it's proverbs and New Testament ,which is fine by me. I want to throw in a psalm at night but it's better to stick to getting consistent period for now.
    I use Bible Gateway too. I read Moody's daily devotion every morning, then the scripture verse that Bible Gateway provides. It's a really cool site isn't it? You can read the scripture in every known form of translation. Very neat.
    I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I encourage you guys to download the Youversion bible app. It has a ton of reading plans and stuff.
    Will do, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Jesus never speaks a word in the Old Testament.
    The Old Testament came from the word of God, which Jesus is. Jesus is part of the Holy Trinity, that consists of God the Holy Spirit and Jesus. If you read just the first part of Genesis, you will read where God speaks about the Jesus being with him and the Holy Trinity. So yes, Jesus did give us the holy words of the Old Testament.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Great topic thread!

Interestingly, I just happened on Habakkuk a few weeks ago. I can't promise that I'd ever read it before, and if so, I didn't recall it.

My favorite passages:

"Why do you make men like fish of the sea,
    Like creeping things that have no ruler over them?" (1:14)

And from a bit earlier:

"Are you not from everlasting,
    O Lord my God, my Holy One?
    We shall not die." (1:12)

If I read the "we shall not die" passage correctly, I think it concerns national rather than individual salvation. The prophet's concern is with Israel's continued existence as a testament to God's word.
    You are right. He was asking God why evil men seem to triumph while good men suffer because of them. God's response is that while his judgement may not be immediate, it will eventually happen. And then the evil men will be judged. And the nation of Israel will last forever just as God promised.

The concept that I've continually returned to from Hebrews is that the law is only "a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things." (10:1)
    Yep

I also find the passage about "Jesus having become high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek" (6:20) fascinating. As far as Old Testament figures go, Melchizidek doesn't exactly stand out: he's pretty much gone as quickly as he came. I like how the author uses this as an analogy for Christ's eternal nature; Melchizidek is, figuratively speaking, "without father, without mother, without genealogy" but Christ literally has "neither beginning of days nor end of life." (7:3)
    I'm glad you brought this up. To me personally, this is one of the most complex and mind boggling things that I can't wrap my head around. I truly cannot understand it or interpret it. Some believe that Melchizidek was Jesus himself (a Christophany) and while some things certainly point to that, some things suggest otherwise. I just can't make up my mind one way or the other. I have asked many scholars on the bible about this person (who is only mentioned twice and not much about him is revealed) and even they cannot give me a direct answer.

If anyone can give me some insight into this, please do so. I would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by tombo View Post
    I believe in God, and I've tried reading the bible (and the koran), but I think my main problem with the Bible is the parts of the Old Testament where God orders the Israelites to do things such as massacre towns, sparing only the virgin women. I'm not judging the Israelites, I know they were barbaric times, I just can't believe that God would say those words - God would want as many people saved as possible. Killing everyone expect the young women is what men want, not what God wants. I could follow the Bible in a liberal, progressive way, taking the main message while seeing the brutal parts as being written through the prism of their time. But I just can't believe, as literalist believers do, that God actually said those words.

When I was "struggling" with these things I talked to a lot of evangelical Christians, read lots of books and websites, but never came across a defence of these parts that convinced me. Heard defenses ranging from, God was talking down to them on their level, they were merciful, rescuing people they didn't have to rescue, the places they wipe out were unredeemably evil, etc. I know they were no worse than any other people of their time but the Bible lifts them up as being personally instructed by God.

Basically the whole Old Testament just doesn't feel inspired by God to me. It feels too much a product of it's time and place as much as Chinese or Indian myth does. It doesn't feel like something that's meant to be the universal story of God all humanity should read. Neither does the New, given the amount of time it spends worrying about men's haircuts.
    I understand your frustration in trying to understand why God would command these things until I started going to bible study groups years ago and listening to Christian apologetics answer these questions. From these I was able to glean the answer. God commanded these things because He knew that if any part of these people were left alive, they would influence His people, the Israelites, and not in a good way.

For instance, some of these people worshiped Baal and sacrificed human children and committed other evil acts. Like all cultures, adults teach their children from birth what to do, how to behave and so forth. Had God spared the women and children, they would most certainly influence some of the Israelites and this did happen later on. For example, when Solomon married women from other nations he ended up allowing them to worship their false gods in his presence and home. God didn't want this.

Also, if they were not completely eradicated, they would come back to trouble the Israelites and make war on them continuously.

While it is something that I still struggle with, I now at least understand why God commanded it. We mus also remember that we cannot fathom God's wisdom. Our understanding is finite, his is not.

A, "one and the same". B., dodgy metaphysics of the Trinity aside, Jesus the Son doesn't even exist prior to the New Testament,
    Even if you take out what you call "metaphysics of the Trinity", Jesus is mentioned in Genesis and made several appearances in the Old Testament called Christophanies:
    http://lifeofjesus2001.tripod.com/jc...tophanies.html

Also, God says several times in the plural when speaking about himself in Genesis. For example:
    In Genesis 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

Who is God referring to when he says "us" and "our", if not the Holy Trinity? He doesn't say "let me make man in my image". He says "US". He's referring to Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Furthermore, Jesus is called by God as "The Word", which again, is mentioned in Genesis and many other places in the Old Testament.

(As a bonus addition to your original post, Romans was written by Paul, who never met Jesus, and brought his own stable of issues to his evangelism.)
    Pleas don't take this as a knock against you, but I have a hard time believing you actually have read the bible or are just speaking words that others have put in your mind. Paul is the new Christian name that Saul was given. Saul (Paul) did meet Jesus in the spirit on his way to Damascus and was thus converted to Christianity and began his ministry:

As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?”

“Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked.

"I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” he replied. “Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.”

— Acts 9:3–9

Quote Originally Posted by bloodofthegods View Post
    Any particular reason that gospel?
    It's one of the most beautifully written gospels and really helps you understand your relationship with Christ and how much He truly loves us all.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, the history in the Bible is almost certainly a fabrication nearly all the way through.
    I would disagree with you whole heatedly, as would some archaeologists and scientists who have found cities and places from the bible and have certified that events in the bible did indeed take place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I understand your frustration in trying to understand why God would command these things until I started going to bible study groups years ago and listening to Christian apologetics answer these questions. From these I was able to glean the answer. God commanded these things because He knew that if any part of these people were left alive, they would influence His people, the Israelites, and not in a good way.

For instance, some of these people worshiped Baal and sacrificed human children and committed other evil acts. Like all cultures, adults teach their children from birth what to do, how to behave and so forth. Had God spared the women and children, they would most certainly influence some of the Israelites and this did happen later on. For example, when Solomon married women from other nations he ended up allowing them to worship their false gods in his presence and home. God didn't want this.

Also, if they were not completely eradicated, they would come back to trouble the Israelites and make war on them continuously.
    Even if all of that were true, it's still a completely monstrous, undefensible act of genocide.

And of course you slaughter all the male children, infants and babies included (because they might go on to do bad stuff), but spare the still marriable women.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Even if all of that were true, it's still a completely monstrous, undefensible act of genocide.

And of course you slaughter all the male children, infants and babies included (because they might go on to do bad stuff), but spare the still marriable women.
    The Israelites didn't do this without consequence or in a blood thirsty way. They were truly affected by doing these things and God knew it. God had the Israelite soldiers stay out of their own camp for (I think) 7 days. There was a reason for this. The soldiers needed time to come to terms with what they did and not bring these things home with them to their family (talking about it. what they did on the battlefield stayed on the batlefield). Also, they used this time to pray and get closer to God, because what they did was traumatic for them. They didn't do these things for the fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    The Israelites didn't do this without consequence or in a blood thirsty way. They were truly affected by doing these things and God knew it. God had the Israelite soldiers stay out of their own camp for (I think) 7 days. There was a reason for this. The soldiers needed time to come to terms with what they did and not bring these things home with them to their family (talking about it. what they did on the battlefield stayed on the batlefield). Also, they used this time to pray and get closer to God, because what they did was traumatic for them. They didn't do these things for the fun of it.
    And that makes it better how exactly?
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

I truly can't explain to you how it makes it better, but just wanted to reiterate what I said before and that is that we have a finite understanding of God's plan and as such will never be able to comprehend these things. We just have to have faith that God knows best.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but I'm not a scholar so I can't give you a better answer.

If you are an omnipotent being then you should be able to make plans that do not include genocide (or congenital birth defects...)

If god is omnipotent and still includes those things on his 'to do' list, then he is evil, no two ways about it. And going on about his mysterious ways is just making excuses.
    - Gerhard Bronner

Seven days of atonement is enough atonement for any genocide committed with efficacy and lack of furor. I think that's written somewhere. As long as you save all the marriageable women and all the livestock.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)