Page 6 of 347 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I say this then I am going back on topic. To the people that came into this thread trying to "debunk" religion or prove that God is a fallacy and Christians are hateful people out to oppress gay people and women who choose abortion. First, not every person who says they are Christian are really Christian. There are some people who are indeed hate filled people that twist the bible to spew hate, judgement, and condemnation towards others. Those people are NOT what I would genuine or real Christians. So just know that not all Christians are like those people, so it's pretty unfair to try to lump everyone religious into that group.
    Nonbelievers are interested in the Bible too, but we just tend to approach it the same we would any other ancient work, and generally take the perspective that the Bible tells us a lot more about the people who wrote it and the world in which they lived than it does about any kind of natural order. And when it comes to history, undoubtedly the people and events that were influenced and motivated by Biblical scripture are of far greater importance than anything recorded within it.

So ultimately, while I can only speak for myself here, the goal isn't to debunk or disprove the Bible, but rather to understand the whole picture which you can't get just by looking at the text itself. For example, all of the conflicts between various Christian denominations wouldn't make any sense without the proper context, because they're all reading the same Bible and so we have to look elsewhere in order to figure out why they are interpreting the text differently and what kind of external factors influenced their development.

Incredible Member Iron_Legion87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Nonbelievers are interested in the Bible too, but we just tend to approach it the same we would any other ancient work, and generally take the perspective that the Bible tells us a lot more about the people who wrote it and the world in which they lived than it does about any kind of natural order. And when it comes to history, undoubtedly the people and events that were influenced and motivated by Biblical scripture are of far greater importance than anything recorded within it.

So ultimately, while I can only speak for myself here, the goal isn't to debunk or disprove the Bible, but rather to understand the whole picture which you can't get just by looking at the text itself. For example, all of the conflicts between various Christian denominations wouldn't make any sense without the proper context, because they're all reading the same Bible and so we have to look elsewhere in order to figure out why they are interpreting the text differently and what kind of external factors influenced their development.
    It's cool if some non believers want to discuss the bible in a civil respectful way. I am talking to the non believers who are coming into this thread simply to stir up a debate, bash religion/ or religious people etc. That kind of behavior more than likely leads to people getting riled up and get banned as a result.

I'm a Christian, and I've been meaning to read at-least one book of the Bible for donkey's years, but I never get round to it. I've read passages, but nothing more. The "completest" in me thinks I should just read Genesis (makes sense to go with the first book). While I'm religious, my curiosity of the Bible is just that. I don't believe it is the word of God unfiltered, it's man made and man adapted (hence the hate in it against various sexualities, other races, etc - man made). But I do think I should read at-least one book, just to say I did (I'd go for King James, gotta keep the British flag flying).

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Indeed, while I think it is always good to have a debate, this thread was not created by the opening pages for such. I never found it to good when a thread that had one major focus went off into sometime that it was never intended to be or most more then it should have. I also rather and support keeping this thread towards the opening post asked.
    May I suggest the OP request the moderators make this an appreciation thread for Bible reading and Christians, that gives the thread some what more protection on what it's intended for.

Second, Christians who believe in what the bible says about marriage and relationships are not all hateful people. I believe in traditional marriage but I am not out here spewing hate to homosexuals or trying to deny their rights. I love and respect them as fellow human beings. Like I said before, you don't have to accept or support everything someone else does in their life in order for you to love them. I am also pro life, but I am not condemning a woman who chose abortion.
    In truth, you don't. You cannot love someone if you think they are "less worthy" of marriage; say you have some affection for them, fine (but not love; that's simply a lie). You're not spewing hate, agreed. And everyone is entitled to their opinions, but please don't delude yourself into thinking you love someone, when you look down upon how they were born. At-least own your prejudice.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 09-25-2015 at 02:34 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

May I suggest the OP request the moderators make this an appreciation thread for Bible reading and Christians, that gives the thread some what more protection on what it's intended for.
    Are we really extending the appreciation thread hugbox rules to Community topics like religion now? Has CBR become that weenified?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    excuse me for butting in and going a little off topic.
    i'm not a christian but i really dislike how 97% of religious discussion on the internet inevitably takes a debate/debunk turn, with the odd jab or two sometimes.

yes people do use the name of religion to spread hate and commit acts of violence, but these people would distort whatever ideals to further their agenda. they are inherently negative people who hide behind religion as an excuse for being intolerant bigots.

that said, have a good day everyone !
    Yeah. Maybe the people who think religion is bad should just start a thread about it, instead of coming into a thread that clearly isn't about that. But then they wouldn't have anyone to argue with lol.

Fantastic Member

As I mentioned I don't read the bible as much as I use to and religion has had an negative impact on my life. However, if this insulting and dismissive commenting wouldn't and doesn't fly in the minority thread, why is it acceptable here? Why does this thread try to get derailed on the first page? If those that don't want to be judged in sweeping motions and accused of behavior that's not true based on what they believe then why throw it in the participants of this threads face? The bible is just as important to some people as minority representation is to others. Not all religious bible readers are racists or homophobes. Just like not all people who are concerned with the state of minorities in social constructs are keyboard warriors looking for attention.

My next goal is to read the entire bible in a year. Once I finish the 30 day new Testment plan, that's what I am going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    In truth, you don't. You cannot love someone if you think they are "less worthy" of marriage; say you have some affection for them, fine (but not love; that's simply a lie). You're not spewing hate, agreed. And everyone is entitled to their opinions, but please don't delude yourself into thinking you love someone, when you look down upon how they were born. At-least own your prejudice.
    That is untrue. Like I said before, one of the biggest lies society tells you today is that you have to accept EVERYTHING a person does in their life in order to love and accept them. That is simply a false statement. I have a family members who are not religious, I have two that are gay, I have one that is a gang member/ drug dealer ( who's in jail now), and I have one that's a womanizer. I don't agree with how they chosen to life their life, but I still love them as fellow human beings and family members. They have to live with the decisions they make in their life. Doesn't mean I have to accept their ways in order to love them. See my point?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Are we really extending the appreciation thread hugbox rules to Community topics like religion now? Has CBR become that weenified?
    I think this should be an appreciation thread. No offense, but it's clear you are someone that wants to stir up trouble here and want to bash religion and religious people. Like someone else said, if thats your opinion create a new thread and discuss it with other like minded individuals. This thread was NOT created for debates to bash religion or try to prove its a fallacy. It's okay if your not religious that your personal opinion/ belief. But don't be a jerk about it and try to bash others who"s opinions and beliefs differ from your own. That's why I respectfully suggest this thread may not be for you.

That is untrue. Like I said before, one of the biggest lies society tells you today is that you have to accept EVERYTHING a person does in their life in order to love and accept them. That is simply a false statement. I have a family members who are not religious, I have two that are gay, I have one that is a gang member/ drug dealer ( who's in jail now), and I have one that's a womanizer. I don't agree with how they chosen to life their life, but I still love them as fellow human beings and family members. They have to live with the decisions they make in their life. Doesn't mean I have to accept their ways in order to love them. See my point?
    Love is an amphigoric word if there ever was one. But, would it be safe to say, then that you don't respect them? I don't suspect you respect the womanizer, the gang member, those who are, that is, actively hurting other people. But am I going too far in presuming you have a similar disrespect, then, for homosexual (who isn't hurting anyone)?

And, I trust, of course, that you follow and judge just as harshly based on all of Leviticus or all of Paul's rambling condemnations, and don't just stick to homosexuality. No mixed fibers. No shellfish. Eating shellfish is like being a drug dealer, right?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I think this should be an appreciation thread. No offense, but it's clear you are someone that wants to stir up trouble here and want to bash religion and religious people. Like someone else said, if thats your opinion create a new thread and discuss it with other like minded individuals. This thread was NOT created for debates to bash religion or try to prove its a fallacy. It's okay if your not religious that your personal opinion/ belief. But don't be a jerk about it and try to bash others who"s opinions and beliefs differ from your own. That's why I respectfully suggest this thread may not be for you.
    Just keep it positive, discuss what you want, and get what you want out of the thread. Maybe the people who think a thread discussing Bible reading is a good place to drop the "God does not exist" line will eventually get bored. If not, ignore, ignore, ignore.

Why should you and your beliefs be safe from criticism or condemnation, when you're using this very thread to condemn others and to criticize their beliefs?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Love is an amphigoric word if there ever was one. But, would it be safe to say, then that you don't respect them? I don't suspect you respect the womanizer, the gang member, those who are, that is, actively hurting other people. But am I going too far in presuming you have a similar disrespect, then, for homosexual (who isn't hurting anyone)?

And, I trust, of course, that you follow and judge just as harshly based on all of Leviticus or all of Paul's rambling condemnations, and don't just stick to homosexuality. No mixed fibers. No shellfish. Eating shellfish is like being a drug dealer, right?
    Some things in the OT were the norms of the time or had specific reasons. Like the fabric thing that gets twisted around.

Leviticus 19:19, specifically the verse about the mixing of fabrics is mainly about the high priest who was the only one who could wear a garment that could be woven of linen and wool. No one else was allowed to have such a garment. Apparently, this rule was to place some distance between the high priest and the people, with the ultimate purpose of reminding Israel of how holy GODtruly is.

Simply as Christians we now live under the new Testment due to Jesus, but the things God said about morality in the OT still stand.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Why should you and your beliefs be safe from criticism or condemnation, when you're using this very thread to condemn others and to criticize their beliefs?
    I didn't come into the thread trying to talk about this stuff. The some person in the second post of the thread decided to make this a debate and derail the thread. I simply stated my opinion, but more people came in with the same mentality. I wouldn't go into the LGBT thread bashing them for who they are. I simply respect them and the thread and stay out and keep my opinions to myself. Why do non religious people feel the need to act crazy and prove God and religion are false when they see a religious thread?

So, you decide which ones you still have to abide by, or condemn others by? Or, are you abiding by everything Paul insists on, and all statements on morality or abomination in the Bible?