Page 83 of 129 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1930
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! Dark Knight1047's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    we're actually covering this in Bible study. and its something several former pastors have gone over.

i agree we are living at the end. i wouldnt put any sort of time limit or table on it though, i think things will get much worse. though that could unfold quickly and it may not. though i do believe in the 7 year final tribulation, its clearly laid out to happen in the Bible. though i know there are different schools when it comes to eschatology.
    I believe we are living in the end times as well. But like you, I'm not going to say "in the next 5 years" or anything like that. Only God knows when but he also said you will know the signs when they arrive. All anyone has to do is look around and it becomes clear.
    "There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."

WARNING: DANGER! DANGER! The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I think it will drag itself out a long while.
    What I'm Buying: Nova, Contest of Champions, Amazing Spider-Man,Uncanny Avengers, Web Warriors, Any sort of Star Wars TPB
    What I'm Collecting Digitally: Invinicble Iron Man, Squadron Supreme,Spider-Man 2099
    Never give up! Move on from before.....Surpass your limits!~ Ultraman Orb Opening Theme (It sounds cooler in Japanese.)

potentially.

things are getting bad but they need to be much worse. and there are a few things in the world that need to shift a bit to make way for things. but really all it takes is one big move from a major power, or just the right attack at the right moment, and things can unfold quickly

That's what I'm expecting. I've heard the expression "frogs in a pot" used to describe humanity right now. The water is getting hotter and, according to the expression, we won't know just how bad it is until it's already too late. All I know is that I don't trust anything I hear on the news anymore. America feels like it's been overtaken by Hydra and all the Presidential candidates are Hydra agents for goodness' sake. I get the impression that we're really just one disaster/terrorist attack away from Emergency Powers and the end of what "freedom" we have left.

Sorry to be a drag. This is just how bad I feel it is right now. xD
    "Read anything I write for the pleasure of reading it. Whatever else you find will be the measure of what you brought..." - Ernest Hemingway

which is probably right. i think a lot of people feel that way on both sides of the aisle. just plain frustration and feeling handcuffed. in regards to endtimes though, that all kinda has to happen.

The NEW Classic Comics Forum: http://classiccomics.org

Aren't there always people who believe that they are living in the end times? People were saying it 100 years ago, 500 years ago, 2000 years ago. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_time:

"Some first century Christians believed Jesus would return during their lifetime. When the converts of Paul in Thessalonica were persecuted by the Roman Empire, they believed the end of days to be imminent."

They were all wrong; why do you think you're right?
    --
    The new home of the Classic Comics Forum community: http://classiccomics.org

Down with shredded cheese - make America grate again!

Rob Allen, the scriptures are all we have to go by. I can see that the conditions are right but I can't know anything with certainty because some things are beyond me. Bear with me and read these scriptures if you aren't already familiar with them, and maybe you'll see why people are always on alert for the signs of the end.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Peter 3:3-10
    "knowing this first of all, that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires. They will say, “Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things are continuing as they were from the beginning of creation.” For they deliberately overlook this fact, that the heavens existed long ago, and the earth was formed out of water and through water by the word of God, and that by means of these the world that then existed was deluged with water and perished. But by the same word the heavens and earth that now exist are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief (in the night), and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew 24:36-44
    “But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only. For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man... Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect."
    If I were to look at the condition of the world today and say, "Hmmm. It looks like we could be living in the end times but people have been saying that since I was a child, so what makes me think I'm right? I'll just tune everything out and go about my business as usual." I think that would be foolish. There isn't much that needs to happen according to the Bible. The little that hasn't happened yet could take place over the course of years or weeks. We don't know for sure but it sure feels to me like we've only a few years left.
    "Read anything I write for the pleasure of reading it. Whatever else you find will be the measure of what you brought..." - Ernest Hemingway

well said.

we're told to live with expectation, our lamps full of oil and ready to go. keeping an eye on the times is always a wise thing to do. as is living with the expectation of Christ returning soon.

i dont think we should be pre-occupied by it as some are. but rather be occupied with sharing the Gospel and living as Christ wants us to. but we do need to know the signs, pay attention and just be aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Aren't there always people who believe that they are living in the end times? People were saying it 100 years ago, 500 years ago, 2000 years ago. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_time:

"Some first century Christians believed Jesus would return during their lifetime. When the converts of Paul in Thessalonica were persecuted by the Roman Empire, they believed the end of days to be imminent."

Yeah. From what I can tell the second coming/apocalypse/rapture is always a constant 5-20 years away.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post

Because of the scriptures. One of the end times scriptures says that the gospel will have been preached to all nations and made known to all (I'm paraphrasing) and with the internet and missionaries travelling to all corners of the world, this would be the first time this particular scripture could be possible.--Matthew 24:14

Another one states that Israel and the Jews would be exiled and cast abroad and in the end times, they would return to the land that God had provided for them. On May 14, 1948, Israel became a Jewish state once more. And then:

“When I have brought them back from the nations and have gathered them from the countries of their enemies, I will show myself holy through them in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the Lord their God, for though I sent them into exile among the nations, I will gather them to their own land, not leaving any behind, I will no longer hide my face from them, for I will pour out my Spirit on the house of Israel, declares the Sovereign Lord.” --Ezekiel 39:27-29

There's others, but those are off the top of my head.
    "There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."

So people here do take the Bible literally?

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Absolutely

Some here do, I don't.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Turing. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are so generous we DeGeneres. We are Olivier, Gielgud, Guinness, McKellan. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato and Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Collector of Worlds GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Depends on what part of the bible for me. I consider myself a Christian, but honestly I don't really believe in the whole end of the world/Revelations stuff myself. I mean every culture/religion seems to have a creation and destruction story, no one really knows when, how or if things really started or will end because we ourselves are not God, so I would say weather using religion or science its all just speculation.

That said I do take many parts of the bible very seriously, things like the ten commandments, your body being a temple, and love your neighbor as yourself are all things I take to heart as words to live by.
    When there is no enemy within the enemies outside cannot hurt you.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Depends on what part of the bible for me. I consider myself a Christian, but honestly I don't really believe in the whole end of the world/Revelations stuff myself. I mean every culture/religion seems to have a creation and destruction story, no one really knows when, how or if things really started or will end because we ourselves are not God, so I would say weather using religion or science its all just speculation.

That said I do take many parts of the bible very seriously, things like the ten commandments, your body being a temple, and love your neighbor as yourself are all things I take to heart as words to live by.
    No offense GLR, but you can't pick and choose which parts of the bible you wish to believe in and which parts you don't. Either you believe in the entire bible or you don't believe it at all.