Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Ryan & Roberts Break Down DC's "New Suicide Squad"

Writer Sean Ryan & artist Jeremy Roberts tell CBR about "New Suicide Squad," relaunching the book and who to expect on their version of Task Force X.

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Writer Sean Ryan & artist Jeremy Roberts tell CBR about "New Suicide Squad," relaunching the book and who to expect on their version of Task Force X.

Full article here.
    It's weird to have Harley Quinn and Harlequin (Joker's Daughter) on the same team.

Joker's Daughter is the worst, most fanfic-y, exsue for a Rule 63 character I've ever seen and nearly ruins the fact that Black Manta and Deathstroke are on this team as well for me.

Joker's Daughter- No, just no. To me this is just a bad, bad 4th tier character.

Enthusiasm? Check. Name-dropping Zircher (and Kot's) brief run? Check. Name-dropping Simone's Secret Six? Check.

Giving Floyd his dirtbag mustache? Check, check, check and mate.

I'll be giving it a shot. Keeping my hopes low so I can be pleasantly surprised, but I'm hearing all the right things.

I'm also not thrilled about Joker's Daughter, but that said I am curious to see how they reconcile her use with what's going on in Batman Eternal. Beyond that ... hopefully Harley you know, kills her?

Do we know the cast so far?

Deadshot, Harley, King Shark, Manta, J.D. and Slade are great (especially Slade, actually). Waller's in. I imagine James Junior is in. I see Captain Boomerang in there. Who else might we see? Is the Unknown Soldier sticking around? When "Broken" is done, will Count Vertigo show up? Could we get a remix of Vertigo/Poison Ivy? (I'd like that!) How about post-Eternal with Cluemaster?

And how's that go for the niches?

Sniper: Deadshot. Doubling as our sarcastic commentator and "reader-identification" guy.
    Muscle: King Shark. Doubles as comic relief and the whole "monster with a good heart" role.
    Brains: Harley Quinn. Doubles as comic relief. Obviously the psychoanalysis ability is key. She's the nerd!
    Frogman/Infiltration: Manta. Total straight-man material.
    Close-Quarters Murder Machine/Tactician: Deathstroke. Know-it-all, to be sure.
    Wild card: J.D. ???
    Headquarters/Coordination: Waller & Gordon.
    Unknown niche? Boomerang. (Silent weapons?)

Not bad, really. They've almost got a 1:1 Avengers contrast, too:

Deathstroke :: Captain America
    Black Manta :: Iron Man
    King Shark :: Thor
    Harley Quinn :: Black Widow
    Deadshot :: Hawkeye (Boomerang fits this role as well, what with the archaic weaponry)
    J.D. :: Hulk (Oh, not in capabilities, but in being probably an uncontrollable wild card)
    Waller :: Nick Fury
    Gordon :: Maria Hill

Good six/seven man band + handlers material.

So who is the cannon fodder going to be? Like in Glass's run, probably esoteric Z-listers that used up their 15 seconds of fame in various New 52 titles, akin to Lime and Light.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 06-06-2014 at 11:09 AM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Ryan on Deadshot: "He's like if Robert Downey, Jr. and Bill Murray had a baby, and that baby was really good at shooting people."

I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    Ryan on Deadshot: "He's like if Robert Downey, Jr. and Bill Murray had a baby, and that baby was really good at shooting people."

I'm in.
    Righto. I want Deadshot to make me feel like I'm reading a Hunter Thompson story. The Bill Murray connection is implicit.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I hope Joker's Daughter contracts ebola and dies very painfully of the squirts in the first storyline.

"Why did you decide to bring them into the team?"
    Honest answer: because editorial mandated it.

I'm looking forward to this, despite not liking Deathstroke and out and out abhorring Joker's Daughter. Jeremy Roberts did a great job with the final Stormwatch (and Sterling Gates wrote a killer script, the best issue of the run ... I'm sad Gates and Roberts never got to continue the bock, having sorted out all the rubbish and given us a great new beginning) and Sean Ryan's last Suicide Squad was also a fun read.

So good luck, all.
    How ironic (choke)

Once again, I'm curious to see if JD can be made into a semi-interesting character with someone not named Nocenti writing her.

I reeeeaallly wish Joker's Daughter wasn't on this new team. She definitely lessens my excitement for the relaunch. It's so unnecessary to have her and Harley in the same book. Also, I love Black Manta but putting him on the Squad feels like a down grade. Johns just made him an A List villain again and now he's an ARGUS lap dog. Oh well. At least Floyd got his mustache back!!!

I still hate skinny Waller.

Looks good otherwise.

I like the look of the Joker's Daughter and would like something else differently with her, but not in The Suicide Squad with Harley. Doesn't make sense!

So this looks like it could actually be really fun. Going to try out at least the first two issues. Not sold on the inclusion of Joker's Daughter however, but we'll see - it'll be interesting to see if the creative team can handle her well. At the very least her interactions with Harley should be interesting.