Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Captain America #22

This July, the final chapter of the saga that started in Dimension Z begins in The Tomorrow Soldier - an epic new story arc kicking off in CAPTAIN AMERICA #22 by writer Rick Remender and artist Carlos Pacheco! After the Earth-shattering events of last issue, the Super-Soldier Serum within Captain America has been neutralized, reducing him to a feeble old man. After everything he's already been through, how can Steve Rogers cope with such devastating loss? And can he continue to fulfill his duties as Captain America?
    There's no time for doubt, though, as two of Cap's greatest foes have emerged from the shadows, their master plan almost complete. The Red Skull and Arnim Zola have reunited to finish the job they started - and not even the Avengers can stop them. The next explosive arc of the series that will have everyone talking begins right here! No fan should miss the explosive CAPTAIN AMERICA #22 this July!

Full preview here.

I've been surprised at how little hype, attention have been put towards this storyline on the part of Marvel. I mean zero advertising or awareness outside this book.

Moreover when it occurred in the most recent issue, it was done with absolutely zero foreshadowing. Iron Nail stuck his tendrils in him and then he turned old. Done, end of story. We weren't warned Iron Nail had that power and the implications weren't entirely addressed by the end of the issue. I think Marvel dropped the ball on this one.
    Last edited by randomengine; 06-06-2014 at 10:48 AM.
    Pull List
    Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Justice League
    Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, All-New Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Superior Iron Man, Thor, Uncanny X-Men, Death of Wolverine, Axis

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    I've been surprised at how little hype, attention have been put towards this storyline on the part of Marvel. I mean zero advertising or awareness outside this book.

Moreover when it occurred in the most recent issue, it was done with absolutely zero foreshadowing. Iron Nail stuck his tendrils in him and then he turned old. Done, end of story. We weren't warned Iron Nail had that power and the implications weren't entirely addressed by the end of the issue. I think Marvel dropped the ball on this one.
    I agree with you 100%! This just came out of the blue!

I have to agree on this, I don't even like Captain America to much and had I known this was gonna happen, I'd have picked it up. Heck, I think Remender should had an interview about this because now I'm intrigued that Cap is now old and now we need a new Captain America.

Yeah, I agree. The issue felt rushed and then bam, Cap was old & I was not sure exactly what just happened. I think the Dimension Z arc was excellent, then the following two arcs have just been meh. Not bad, but not great. The best thing about them has been Jet Black. Where do I see this story going? Probably some stand in for Captain America for awhile. Cap even mentions this in the latest issue that "He's not Captain America, he's just the guy who wears the uniform" or something. Also probably going to build up to Axis, now that ol' Red Skull is back out of the shadows.

Why is Fury smoking a twig?

I think it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation with fans. There was just an editorial on CBN about how Marvel was making a huge mistake promoting the Death of Wolverine ahead of time instead of letting readers discover the big shock of the story on their own. Well, this was definitely a stealth moment, a total surprise development that wasn't hyped ahead of time but is nonetheless a HUGE change in status quo for Cap but it came more or less out of left field.

Personally, I dug it, as I've been digging Remender's Cap all along. And for anyone who didn't pick this up, there's still time to jump onboard!

Quote Originally Posted by thechief View Post
    Why is Fury smoking a twig?
    Hah. yeah a little too much detail was put into that cigar and makes it look like he pulled out a twig to smoke.

To address the current run though, I've been loving this book so far. The Dimension Z stuff was great and I've been enjoying the current story arc along with the Bitter March Winter Soldier mini series.

The twist at the end totally caught me offguard but thinking about it more I can see what Remender had planned with this so far and I'm totally excited to see if my theory comes true.
    Last edited by vonfaustus; 06-06-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I think it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation with fans. There was just an editorial on CBN about how Marvel was making a huge mistake promoting the Death of Wolverine ahead of time instead of letting readers discover the big shock of the story on their own. Well, this was definitely a stealth moment, a total surprise development that wasn't hyped ahead of time but is nonetheless a HUGE change in status quo for Cap but it came more or less out of left field.

Personally, I dug it, as I've been digging Remender's Cap all along. And for anyone who didn't pick this up, there's still time to jump onboard!

I completely agree; you just can't please everyone.
    Axis UncannyAvengers UncannyXMen XFactor XForce Magneto Loki GhostRider Nightcrawler SpiderMan2099 RocketRaccoon SecretSix Saga Wicked+Divine Low

Actually there was a slight hint in the preview of september Avengers' cover, that shown how the Marvel universe will be in May and had (I think) Falcon as Cap and Steve as an old man with a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    Actually there was a slight hint in the preview of september Avengers' cover, that shown how the Marvel universe will be in May and had (I think) Falcon as Cap and Steve as an old man with a stick.
    You are right, there was, but the first hint was the most recent solicited issue that showed him as an old man. I put the pieces together, but was wondering when all the press attention, interviews, and hints was going to come together.....it never did, it still hasn't.

It reminds me of all those horrible things that happened to various characters at the end of the DC Universe before Flashpoint, but before the The New 52. Maybe Marvel isn't making a big deal about this because that rumoured Marvel reboot in May 2015 is gonna make the whole concept irrelevant anyway.
    Pull List
    Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Justice League
    Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, All-New Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Superior Iron Man, Thor, Uncanny X-Men, Death of Wolverine, Axis

You are right, there was, but the first hint was the most recent solicited issue that showed him as an old man. I put the pieces together, but was wondering when all the press attention, interviews, and hints was going to come together.....it never did, it still hasn't.

It reminds me of all those horrible things that happened to various characters at the end of the DC Universe before Flashpoint, but before the The New 52. Maybe Marvel isn't making a big deal about this because that rumoured Marvel reboot in May 2015 is gonna make the whole concept irrelevant anyway.
    Oh wow! I never thought I would welcome a reboot but now I am clamoring for one! With all of the crap on cap storyline Remember has been shoving down our throats (How many times HAS the super soldier serum been negated now?) I can't wait for a reboot. (And that is what it seems Marvel is setting up alright.)

What? The mere fact this was kept a secret, is one of the best things. It came out of left field, it wasn't something we knew was going to happen, too many comics, especially events, you already know how they end.

How can you be disappointed by this?
    "I'm not always hooked on a feeling but when i am, i'm high on believing!" My Blog!

"And can he continue to fulfill his duties as Captain America?"

Uh, no he can't. He's now an old man who has to use a cane to walk and is forced to lay in bed under order by SHIELD. There is no way he can continue to fight the combined forces of a Red Skull with Xavier's powers and Arnim Zola.
    Last edited by sifighter; 06-06-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    What? The mere fact this was kept a secret, is one of the best things. It came out of left field, it wasn't something we knew was going to happen, too many comics, especially events, you already know how they end.

How can you be disappointed by this?
    Absolutely this. This makes the issue have that much more pop to it. If it was spoiled in advance would the issue still resonate as much?

And regarding the reboot talk, that's so old.