Page 6 of 71 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 1057
  1. #76
    The hole in the CBR donut ChadH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Real America(TM)
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Hi everyone. I've been around the Community board since 2010 under the name ChadH. I'd decided to change since the reboot. I'm already familiar with some of you and look forward to meeting and getting to know the rest eventually.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!



    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history.

  2. #77
    Ultimate Member t hedge coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Weihai
    Posts
    7,634

    Default

    Hi, y'all. My name's Travis, but I'll answer to Coke, Hedge Coke, T, w'ev (one of my Argentine students told the local news my name was "Travieso," so that's making a comeback). Originally from North Carolina, grew up mostly on the rez or in little orange-picking towns, in a family of comics readers. I was probably well into double digits before I really understood not everyone had comics laying all around the house.

    I do a weekly column at the Comics Cube that will return soon, and most of my fiction and nonfiction stuff out there ends up with comics shoutouts whether I intend it or not. I genuinely love comics as a medium, the range, the capacity, the energy of comics.

  3. #78
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,091

    Default

    Pleased to meet you, hope you've guessed my name. It's time to plaster on a fake smile and plow through this shit one more time.

    35 year old straight cis-gendered white male, married, with a two year old boy, and a cat (though I prefer dogs). Floating between vegetarianism and veganism. Atheist. Artist, when I have the time (almost never). From upstate NY, live in Brooklyn. Anxiety, depression, and ADD (just figured out the latter). Slight-to-moderate misanthrope. Rather lazy. Politically progressive. Privilege checked daily. Still not a great person: judgmental, dripping with snark, and absolutely finished with cromagnon mindsets. Middle fingers are almost constantly erect. In love with almost every curse word.

    Comics: just the good ones, please. All genres. Got my start with Batman '89, and the third Robin. Mostly DC. Dislike the New52 almost entirely. No real comics budget, so very far behind on EVERYTHING. Like Hawkguy, Waid's Daredevil, Saga, Adventure Time. Currently going through the SXSW bundle from Comixology.

    Will read just just about anything by Moore, Gaiman, Ellis, Morrison, Hickman, Bendis, Busiek, P Craig Russell, Cooke, Waid, Fraction, McDuffie, Brubaker, Rucka, JH Williams III, Linda Medley, and a ton of others my sleep - deprived brain is forgetting.

    Standup & sketch comedy: the more absurd, the better. Python, KITH, State, UCB. Pryor, Carlin, Hicks, Bamford, Proops, Oswalt, Elon James White, W Kamau Bell, Aisha Tyler.

    Music: just about everything. Clog-dancing music is right out. Jazz, ambient, tribal, rock & roll, hip-hop, orchestral, film scores/soundtracks, etc.

    I listen to a metric fuckton of podcasts. Don't ask me to name them all. We don't have that kind of time.

    I have no fucks to give for sports. None at all.

  4. #79
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    726

    Default

    dupersuper: 2nd day on the new thread. I'll be more recognizable once I get my old avatar up.

  5. #80
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    954

    Default

    My name is Pat Thomas (imagine that), 47 yrs old, and I'm a returned comic reader in Alabama. I got into comics a couple of times when I was younger and began some pretty good
    collections, but in 1985 I sold my last comics to pay a fine, and figured I was through. But 25 years later, in 2010, I got an urge to read some of the old stories again. I
    found a lcs and some good online vendors, and within a few months I was becoming fully immersed in the Marvel Universe again. I've had a great time catching up with everything
    in the 25 years I was away. I started off with Spidey & Avengers, but have since branched out to most Marvel titles, a bunch of DC, and a few Independents, and have amassed about
    16,000 comics (no doubles & I'll read them all) since early 2011. I'm currently behind in my back issue reading, which has grown to about 10 longboxes. I'm retired and recently divorced,
    so I'll eventually catch up. All I've got is time now. I'll see everyone around the boards. War Eagle!

  6. #81
    Metahumane MykeHavoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Testing, 1-2-3. Everything seems to be building back up to speed. Glad to see some cool cats are already here.

    Breezing through, I see folks are giving mini bios, so I suppose I should contribute:

    My love of comics started around age 3, or rather comic-related stuff. Batman '89 was opening while I lived in Brooklyn NY, and there's simply no way to adequately express how the bonanza of anticipation for it's release was unparalleled to anything else I've ever seen. I got my VHS copy, and along with the likes of the first Ninja Turtles live action film, Ghostbusters, Willow and so many other wonderful classics of the era, watched it until it died. I had so much Bats memorabilia, it would've made your head spin. I still think the crowning jewel is the Bob the goon action figure... because why not, right?
    I also grew up loving the Reeves Superman films. I recall Superboy's TV show, as well as the Flash. I'd catch reruns of Wonder Woman and The Hulk. Lois and Clark obviously blew up, but I was just looking forward to see the blue boyscout knock out some villains. Animated shows like X-Men, Spider-Man and Batman were the cream of the crop. My grandparents owned a 7-11 in my youth, so I was reading floppies from as early as I could read. The Death of Superman saga had a huge impact on me when it occurred. Following that up with Knightfall was equally crushing. I could never afford to keep up with the hobby though. I'd occasionally buy an issue here or there. But it was the discovery of the collected editions while a long bout of ailment that I got sucked back in, full force. I think it may have just been the urge to have a complete collection of the feature film stuff, then the animated shows and films, and then naturally the curiosity to seek out the source material was planted. It quickly became a growing obsession and is pretty much my sole fun money recipient. I believe I have somewhere close to 700 graphic novels, ranging from softcover to hardcover, deluxe size and Omnibus. Showcase presents, Essentials, Ultimate Editions, complete collections etc. Love'em all. Was pretty solidly DC until the MCU films sucked me back in and I was able to find a lot of great material to branch off from.
    Anyway, blah blah blah, hope that's enough and not too numbingly boring.

  7. #82
    Dweller in the West Primetime Harder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Valinor
    Posts
    2,809

    Default

    ++START SEQUENCE++

    NAME: The poster formerly known as Mr. Primetime

    ORIGIN: Classified. Level Q clearance required.

    OCCUPATION: Ranch hand / cat herder / starving author

    MODUS OPERANDI: Enters threads, posts snark and/or opinions, leaves. This is believed to be due to a lack of debating skills. Will usually return if replied to.

    PERSONALITY NOTES: Possesses an arid wit and extensive vocabulary. Hermit-like mindset results in frequent long-term absences, for which he expresses inexplicable guilt. Maintains a strict policy against getting mad at words on the internet. Does not mind being corrected and considers it a learning experience. Makes references with great frequency.

    SKILLS: Classified. Level P clearance required.

    INTERESTS: Marvel & DC Comics up to 1996 (some exemptions made for certain later material). Anything written by Warren Ellis. Fantasy and science-fiction novels. Norse mythology. Some webcomics. Some Japanese cartoons. Most American cartoons. Video games. 'Pathfinder', 'Mutants & Masterminds', 'Giant Guardian Generation', and 'Mechamorphs' tabletop role-playing games. Is to guitars as 'gearheads' are to automobiles.

    ++END SEQUENCE. ENTER CODE TO PREVENT AUTOMATED SELF-DESTRUCT.++
    Last edited by Primetime Harder; 05-01-2014 at 11:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Are there any ghost types that are immune to fire, ice, and gorilla marriage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I hate you all, from chimpan a to chimpan z.
    "Doom drinks your milkshake!" -PatchMadripoor

    Original join date: 6/2007

  8. #83
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Posts
    1,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    Testing, 1-2-3. Everything seems to be building back up to speed. Glad to see some cool cats are already here.

    Breezing through, I see folks are giving mini bios, so I suppose I should contribute:

    My love of comics started around age 3, or rather comic-related stuff. Batman '89 was opening while I lived in Brooklyn NY, and there's simply no way to adequately express how the bonanza of anticipation for it's release was unparalleled to anything else I've ever seen. I got my VHS copy, and along with the likes of the first Ninja Turtles live action film, Ghostbusters, Willow and so many other wonderful classics of the era, watched it until it died. I had so much Bats memorabilia, it would've made your head spin. I still think the crowning jewel is the Bob the goon action figure... because why not, right?
    I also grew up loving the Reeves Superman films. I recall Superboy's TV show, as well as the Flash. I'd catch reruns of Wonder Woman and The Hulk. Lois and Clark obviously blew up, but I was just looking forward to see the blue boyscout knock out some villains. Animated shows like X-Men, Spider-Man and Batman were the cream of the crop. My grandparents owned a 7-11 in my youth, so I was reading floppies from as early as I could read. The Death of Superman saga had a huge impact on me when it occurred. Following that up with Knightfall was equally crushing. I could never afford to keep up with the hobby though. I'd occasionally buy an issue here or there. But it was the discovery of the collected editions while a long bout of ailment that I got sucked back in, full force. I think it may have just been the urge to have a complete collection of the feature film stuff, then the animated shows and films, and then naturally the curiosity to seek out the source material was planted. It quickly became a growing obsession and is pretty much my sole fun money recipient. I believe I have somewhere close to 700 graphic novels, ranging from softcover to hardcover, deluxe size and Omnibus. Showcase presents, Essentials, Ultimate Editions, complete collections etc. Love'em all. Was pretty solidly DC until the MCU films sucked me back in and I was able to find a lot of great material to branch off from.
    Anyway, blah blah blah, hope that's enough and not too numbingly boring.
    DUDE! Aren't you from the 7thHouse?!
    It's LucifugeRising.

  9. #84
    Metahumane MykeHavoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    DUDE! Aren't you from the 7thHouse?!
    It's LucifugeRising.
    Hahaha holy crap. Funny running into you here. Haven't been over there in ages.
    Yes, this would be my other passion after music.

  10. #85
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Posts
    1,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    Hahaha holy crap. Funny running into you here. Haven't been over there in ages.
    Yes, this would be my other passion after music.
    Aha same here man.
    I've posted like 3 times in the past 2 years.

    Good to have a fellow Danzig fan around. heh.

  11. #86
    Fantastic Member Naked Bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Hi,

    I used to be Leo Ho Tep, but now it's time to change. I'm rebooted into Naked Bat.

    I read spider-ma, and all things Batman/Justice League. I'm more of a Dc fan, but I love MArvel as well, Daredevil being one of my favorite heroes.

  12. #87
    Junior Member UnbreakableVow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    DeLand, FL
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Hi CBR

    I'm Anthony, 27, from a small town called DeLand, Florida. People on the internet tend to call me UV or Vow

    Most of my life I'd been a fan of superheroes in other forms of media. Earliest exposure was the Spider-Man cartoon from the early '90s, segueing into other great series like Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, and The Spectacular Spider-Man. When I saw the first X-Men film back in 2000 I adored it (and still have a soft spot for it), and when Spider-Man made it big in 2002, I was ready for the comic book invasion of film.

    I dabbled slightly in various comics before (Runaways, TMNT, a couple trades of Ultimate Spider-Man), but the Marvel Now initiative resonated with me in a big way and pulled me into the fold enough to the point where I have a monthly pull list, mostly Marvel, with a few Image for good measure. This has all basically been over the past six months or so.

    Favorites include Runaways, Captain Marvel, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel (so far anyways), Black Widow, Sex Criminals, Killjoys, and Saga

    I'm always looking forward to more new solo books. As blasphemous as it may sound, Runaways excepted, I'm not really into team books - X-Men, Avengers, none of those really do it for me. Marvel's been showing an increasing willingness to do solo books of traditionally team-based members like Hawkeye, Storm and now Star-Lord, and I couldn't be happier with this.

    I also read all my comics digitally through the Comixology app, though I still support the local comic book store (because it's a very cool, friendly establishment) by buying hard copies and using the digital code inside.

  13. #88
    Ultimate Member t hedge coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Weihai
    Posts
    7,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    Hi,

    I used to be Leo Ho Tep, but now it's time to change. I'm rebooted into Naked Bat.

    I read spider-ma, and all things Batman/Justice League. I'm more of a Dc fan, but I love MArvel as well, Daredevil being one of my favorite heroes.
    You can't change your name! There are laws!

    Okeh, there aren't laws, but... I'm going to be so confused for the next month. New names, new avatars, new posters... it's all so new!

  14. #89
    The Best There Is Wolverine12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Hi I'm Wolverine12 and I like to party. I like the Ultimate Marvel imprint and most X-Men stuff. There are a few Image books I dig, Saga, TWD etc.
    You brought back Wolverine

  15. #90
    Astonishing Member Raye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,053

    Default

    I'm Raye... real name is Jill. I posted here before, mostly in the DC forums after the New 52 reboot, but drifted away. I decided to come back in an effort to support the new moderation policies. So far though, I have been mostly been posting in the Marvel section, since they are doing stuff that interests me more these days, though I read stuff from all over. I actually started with Sandman, and it has a special place in my heart because of that, then I got into Marvel, mostly X-Men stuff, starting with Excalibur, (I love Nightcrawler to pieces, thrilled that he's back) and off and on Spider-Man, with a bunch more Vertigo and Image on the side, Fables, Y, Transmet, Preacher, Walking Dead, American Vampire and Saga being favorites off the top of my head. Then Wildstorm, specifically Authority and Planetary, (I followed Warren Ellis there) but also enjoyed Wildats 3.0 and Sleeper, and while I did read some stuff here and there before, like Secret Six, I never really got into DC until the New 52.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •