Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Axel-In-Charge - Jun 6, 2014

Marvel EIC Axel Alonso comments on the ongoing reports that "Fantastic Four" may be headed for hiatus, and what's in store for the Sorcerer Supreme.

Full article here.

BANNED

There has been a lot of talk in the industry this week about the possible future of "Fantastic Four." Last week, CBR published a report saying the books may be taken off the table stemming from issues with 20th Century Fox, who hold the rights to FF films, following an initial report by Bleeding Cool. What can you can say on the record about the matter?

Alonso: The Fantastic Four -- Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben -- are a vital part of the Marvel Universe, and we have no plans to change that. James Robinson has exciting plans for them in the immediate future -- starting with the "Original Sin" tie-in story -- and we are continually devising plans to use them in new and surprising ways in the vast landscape of the Marvel Universe, like we do with any Marvel character; in fact, we already know that one of [the FF] will be a huge player in a universe-spanning event down the road.
    BOOM! More confirmation that the Four are okay.

Everything Axel said about FF indicates to me that the title will be cancelled, and the characters will be used in other titles, as originally reported. The FF will break up and join other teams so Marvel can still use the characters but not provide new FF stories and promotion for Fox to use.

At no point does Alonso come close to denying that they will cancel FF. If they aren't going to cancel it, why will neither Alonso nor Brevoort give a firm and conclusive denial?

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Osborn View Post
    Everything Axel said about FF indicates to me that the title will be cancelled, and the characters will be used in other titles, as originally reported. The FF will break up and join other teams so Marvel can still use the characters but not provide new FF stories and promotion for Fox to use.

At no point does Alonso come close to denying that they will cancel FF. If they aren't going to cancel it, why will neither Alonso nor Brevoort give a firm and conclusive denial?
    Have to agree with this. There is no confirmation that the series will continue, just that the characters could be used.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Osborn View Post

You mean like Brevoort saying that the title will be published next month, the month after, next year and so on?
    He said so on his formspring.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    You mean like Brevoort saying that the title will be published next month, the month after, next year and so on?
    I don't know. That was a pretty odd response from Alonzo; he pretty much failed to directly answer a fairly direct question. Not exactly the best way to end speculation if there is actually no truth to it.

That Marcus To art on New Warriors so so dope! People need to read this and Nova! Not everything is X-men and Avengers.
    Also very excited to see what else is going to happen in OS. Crazy event so far.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by joeshan View Post
    I don't know. That was a pretty odd response from Alonzo; he pretty much failed to directly answer a fairly direct question. Not exactly the best way to end speculation if there is actually no truth to it.
    Man, do people need an outright NO THIS BOOK WILL NOT BE CANCELLED before they stop going with BC?
    He said they have no plans to change them and that Robinson had a lot already in store for the team.

Alonso may have not have outright said it, but he implied it.

I don't know, it feels like people need to rumors to be true so they can not feel bad about going along with them.
    That or they just have a strange beef with the Fantastic Four.
    This whole situation just confuses me.

You mean like when Brevoort said "We are publishing FANTASTIC FOUR. Next month, we will be publishing FANTASTIC FOUR. A year from now, assuming that it?s still selling well, we will be publishing FANTASTIC FOUR."?

Because that answer specifically does not rule out a potential hiatus of the title in the run-up to the release of the movie, which is what is being talked about here.

If you believe everything the EIC says of course.
    You don't have to break it to fix it.

You quoted the first paragraph, but then left off the second, where he basically says "Sometimes we cancel books."

Note that Breevort said that (modestly paraphrasing) that they will publish FF this month, next month, etc. and MAYBE next year.

I'm assuming that they can't fully deny the BC rumors because there's a series relaunch coming. (Something like cancelling FF and replacing it with a THING series for a year or something like that.) But they're DEFINITELY hedging in their answers.

BANNED

Know what... I give up.

Until the title is actually cancelled, then we'll see.
    People are gonna keep saying IT'S TOTES HAPPENING YOU GUISE, BLEEDING COOL SAID SO!!!
    So whatever. Believe the rumors despite everything that's actually being said.

Man, do people need an outright NO THIS BOOK WILL NOT BE CANCELLED before they stop going with BC?
    He said they have no plans to change them and that Robinson had a lot already in store for the team.

Alonso may have not have outright said it, but he implied it.

I don't know, it feels like people need to rumors to be true so they can not feel bad about going along with them.
    That or they just have a strange beef with the Fantastic Four.
    This whole situation just confuses me.
    It's simply a question of numbers. FF's numbers are down. So maybe it's time to put them on hiatus and wait for the movie to come out. Then when the publicity machine starts up for the movie, you bring back FF. Wouldn't surprise me if that is what they are actually planning.
    You don't have to break it to fix it.

Know what... I give up.

Until the title is actually cancelled, then we'll see.
    People are gonna keep saying IT'S TOTES HAPPENING YOU GUISE, BLEEDING COOL SAID SO!!!
    So whatever. Believe the rumors despite everything that's actually being said.
    Well, yes, we won't know until the title is canceled, but since they're never going to say "yes, the rumors are true," we have to read between the lines. Here we have the EIC a) Not denying that the title may be canceled b) Talking about how Marvel sometimes makes big changes but it's all to a good purpose. That doesn't seem like what he would say if the rumors were outright false.

This doesn't mean the FF are doomed and will never be used in any way again. The initial Bleeding Cool report says Marvel plans to keep using the characters. But it is looking more and more like something is going to change with the ongoing FF title. That doesn't mean the end of the world - books have been canceled before and replaced with other books, temporarily. Just some kind of change is probably coming.

Sounds like AXIS is the event All-New X-Factor is tying in to. Nice. A Deadpool/Gambit interaction would be phenomenal.