View Poll Results: Who is your favourite YOUNG AVENGER?

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • HAWKEYE [Kate Bishop]

    44 16.54%
  • HULKLING [Theodroe 'Teddy' Altman]

    17 6.39%
  • IRON LAD [Nathaniel Richards]

    5 1.88%
  • LOKI, God of Mischief

    22 8.27%
  • MARVEL BOY [Noh-vah]

    10 3.76%
  • MISS AMERICA CHAVEZ

    33 12.41%
  • PATRIOT [Elijah 'Eli' Bradley]

    32 12.03%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

    10 3.76%
  • SPEED [Thomas 'Tommy' Shepherd]

    15 5.64%
  • STATURE [Cassandra 'Cassie' Lang]

    15 5.64%
  • VISION [Jonas]

    4 1.50%
  • WICCAN [William 'Billy' Kaplan]

    59 22.18%
Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 825 of 926
  1. #811
    Mighty Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I've never seen Champions existing as an obstacle to Young Avengers returning either. For one thing, the two teams don't have any shared members, and also, DC currently has two Titans books. Wouldn't surprise me if they called it New Avengers instead though. The name is available since there's only one Avengers book currently, and Hulkling and Wiccan technically own the brand thanks to the ending of Ewing's run on the title.
    I prefer if they stick with the Young Avengers name. New Avengers feels too non-specific, so there isn't really a guarantee that it's a title they would be able to keep long term. With YA, they've already made their names with that and it's hard to associate it with any other team, so the odds of those characters being always attached to it are bigger.

  2. #812
    Fantastic Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Probably just gonna check out the Runaways crossovers and Presents. I don't know what Dark Reign and Siege even were and I don't have much interest in learning.
    You don't necessarily need to know everything that's going on in Dark Reign to understand the Young Avengers mini, basically you just need to know that Osborn was put in charge of the superhuman community and created the Dark Avengers (villains pretending to be heroes). It's fairly self contained otherwise.
    Try reading the Vision issue of Young Avengers Presents first. The YA Dark Reign mini is by the same creative team, Paul Cornell and Mark Brooks.

    Siege is pretty much completely skippable.

    I would also check out this one issue from the mini following Captain America's death in Civil War
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Fallen_...merica_Vol_1_3

    It's the first time Eli and Kate met Clint Barton, but they didn't realize who he was at the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I feel like Eli is never coming back
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There's apparently a rights issue involving the Bradley family from the person who created Eli's grandfather (Isaiah), which is why Eli's vanished off the face of the Earth in the comics.
    I haven't seen any real evidence that Marvel isn't allowed to use Eli or the Bradley family due to a legal dispute. But the circumstantial evidence is pretty damning.
    Spencer didn't even refer to Eli by name in the issue where Rayshaun mentioned him.
    They're using Rayshaun in the Marvel Rising Secret Warriors cartoon even though he was pretty much just created, and based on the character description with super soldier powers and leadership abilities he'll basically be Eli in everything but name.

    On the other hand:
    Gillen said he couldn't use Eli in his volume of Young Avengers because another writer had plans for him (which didn't end up happening)
    Eli has been on a variant cover or two.
    He's appeared in flashbacks to group shots of the Young Avengers like in Cassie's issue of Astonishing Ant-Man or most recently in that issue of Exiles that showed the alternate path Iron Lad could have taken. (But Eli wasn't mentioned by name.)
    And they wanted to use Eli in a subplot in the Black Panther film. (That subplot didn't end up making it into the film.)

    At the very least it's suspicious how he hasn't been used and has been almost completely replaced and ignored.

  3. #813
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    307

    Default

    I honestly think that putting Eli's family in Black Panther's sequel is highly likely considering how the character does not have the largest supporting cast to introduce.

  4. #814
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There's apparently a rights issue involving the Bradley family from the person who created Eli's grandfather (Isaiah), which is why Eli's vanished off the face of the Earth in the comics.
    It's Baker dealing with the rights issues, right? Because from what I understand it was him and Morales that came up with the character but since Moralas passed on, he's looking to get the rights on him? Or do I have that backwards and it's the Moralas family looking for that rights? I can't remember?

  5. #815
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah - Eli actually gave permission off panel, via phone call (in Captain America Sam Wilson #24), for Rayshaun Lucas to take over the Patriot identity. And they didn't name him. It was basically just "isn't there already a Patriot?" "Yeah, he's retired and I've got permission to use the name".

    Cassie last appeared in Secret Empire. Her last leading role was in Astonishing Ant-Man.
    See that scene really bugged me. One thing I really liked in Eli's case was the ties to all the main characters attached to both his grandfather, Steve, and Jeffrey. You had Buckey telling him about Jeff, you had Steve saying that he could see him taking over as a future captain and Steve also visited Isaiah between panels apparently. So there was ties into him taking on the role of Patriot, it fit him. Rayshaun, who is a good character in his own right, came out of no where, was put in, and hasn't had any strong things to qualify him as taking on that mantle yet. It was like "Hey I called him" okay so how did you get that number, who did you talk to? You could have shown him emailing or chatting with him in some way, or not shown his face or something to indicate that Eli gave him his blessing. It really gets to me that this court case is screwing up everything, down to the fact that they wanted to have Eli be the boy at the end of the BP movie and couldn't!

  6. #816
    Extraordinary Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    9,743

    Default

    I think the situation is that Eli can't be named, but can be shown.

  7. #817
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I think the situation is that Eli can't be named, but can be shown.
    Could they technically make his mom get remarried and have him change his last name? Like he was Bradley now he's Davis or Wilson, or I don't know Smith? Because if it's just a naming case then that could be fixed?

  8. #818
    Ultimate Member Assam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,143

    Default

    So my roommate is a big time casual (He's seen a couple MCU films but he isn't even that into the franchise)...I just showed him a few panels of Billy and Teddy and now he wants to make the jump to comics just for them.
    Current Top 20 Titles: New Super-Man and the Justice League of China/Runaways/Mighty Morphin Power Rangers/Go Go Power Rangers/Maxwell's Demons/Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles/Paper Girls/Unbeatable Squirrel Girl/Quantum and Woody/Detective Comics/Exiles/Fence/X-Men Red/Ms. Marvel/Domino/Mech Cadet Yu/The Flash/Champions/The Wildstorm: Michael Cray/New Mutants: Dead Souls

  9. #819
    Mighty Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Could they technically make his mom get remarried and have him change his last name? Like he was Bradley now he's Davis or Wilson, or I don't know Smith? Because if it's just a naming case then that could be fixed?
    I think if it was that easy, they would've done it by now instead of creating a whole new character to tell the stories they probably wanted to tell with Eli.

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    So my roommate is a big time casual (He's seen a couple MCU films but he isn't even that into the franchise)...I just showed him a few panels of Billy and Teddy and now he wants to make the jump to comics just for them.
    Literal story of my life. I started my journey in comics because I saw a fanart of Billy/Teddy once and traced it back to Marvel. Sometimes you just can't resist the Gay Force.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 05-08-2018 at 10:16 PM.

  10. #820
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    So my roommate is a big time casual (He's seen a couple MCU films but he isn't even that into the franchise)...I just showed him a few panels of Billy and Teddy and now he wants to make the jump to comics just for them.
    That's outstanding! I love hearing stuff like this. Yay Assam, recruiting and beefing up the fandom. haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post

    Literal story of my life. I started my journey in comics because I saw a fanart of Billy/Teddy once and traced it back to Marvel. Sometimes you just can't resist the Gay Force.
    Ha ha ha YUUUUUSSSS!

    Speaking of fanart --- so, I was deep in the tumblz the other day and I came across Aud Koch again (such an incredible style with such expressive lines: http://audkoch.tumblr.com/tagged/wiccan) and OF COURSE, I'm eating up every crumb and morsel of the Billy/Teddy stuff in their menagerie, because DUH -- and I fell head over heels for a few of the adjustments made on these particular images:




    Specifically, I'm really into this white leg/arm fade into the stark black body but with the space vibe still incorporated with the star/constellations
    The striped cloak -- an obvious nod to the would-be-supreme-future-- was never my jam, but I understand the inclusion. The whole space-wizard vibe is really strong though, and I dig that A LOT -- especially with Teddy's space-monarch-destiny, it has this very natural progression into that theme of medieval meets cosmic.

    So anyways.... I'm gonna do my own Koch-inspired version soon and post it here for y'all to judge, read, and/or side-eye.
    Last edited by Fokken; 05-09-2018 at 05:42 AM.
    "Um, blah, blah, blah. And, Girl Power. Feminism, d'you know what I mean?"

  11. #821
    Mighty Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Speaking of fanart --- so, I was deep in the tumblz the other day and I came across Aud Koch again (such an incredible style with such expressive lines: http://audkoch.tumblr.com/tagged/wiccan) and OF COURSE, I'm eating up every crumb and morsel of the Billy/Teddy stuff in their menagerie, because DUH -- and I fell head over heels for a few of the adjustments made on these particular images:




    Specifically, I'm really into this white leg/arm fade into the stark black body but with the space vibe still incorporated with the star/constellations
    The striped cloak -- an obvious nod to the would-be-supreme-future-- was never my jam, but I understand the inclusion. The whole space-wizard vibe is really strong though, and I dig that A LOT -- especially with Teddy's space-monarch-destiny, it has this very natural progression into that theme of medieval meets cosmic.

    So anyways.... I'm gonna do my own Koch-inspired version soon and post it here for y'all to judge, read, and/or side-eye.
    I'm not the biggest fan of the Sorcerer Supreme look for Billy, but the artist made it look so cool in this particular piece, so I don't mind. Teddy looks very good too in his royal alien glory. And YES, Fokken, share your art with us! I'm always here for it.

  12. #822
    Ultimate Member Assam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,143

    Default

    Right, so I've pretty much read all the YA material I want to, outside of other books to feature the characters, and overall I'm glad I did. Like V.1, I can't say v.2 and Children's Crusade were great books, but they weren't bad and there was still a lot that I liked. I said after reading V.1 that it was the characters who made the book, but having now seen every member, I can definitely say that that's still true for some of them, but...not others.

    Teddy, Tommy, Kate, Eli and Billy are now some of my favorite Marvel heroes. I bloody love modern Loki, although I wish I'd known to finish Journey into Mystery before reading V.2. Jonas I think I like more than most people seem to, Cassie I think I like a lot less than most people seem to, America and David were decent, Noh-Vah I found pretty unlikable and Nate is just the worst.

    But yeah, here's hoping for a Thompson penned YA book to be announced soon.
    Current Top 20 Titles: New Super-Man and the Justice League of China/Runaways/Mighty Morphin Power Rangers/Go Go Power Rangers/Maxwell's Demons/Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles/Paper Girls/Unbeatable Squirrel Girl/Quantum and Woody/Detective Comics/Exiles/Fence/X-Men Red/Ms. Marvel/Domino/Mech Cadet Yu/The Flash/Champions/The Wildstorm: Michael Cray/New Mutants: Dead Souls

  13. #823
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Right, so I've pretty much read all the YA material I want to, outside of other books to feature the characters, and overall I'm glad I did. Like V.1, I can't say v.2 and Children's Crusade were great books, but they weren't bad and there was still a lot that I liked. I said after reading V.1 that it was the characters who made the book, but having now seen every member, I can definitely say that that's still true for some of them, but...not others.

    Teddy, Tommy, Kate, Eli and Billy are now some of my favorite Marvel heroes. I bloody love modern Loki, although I wish I'd known to finish Journey into Mystery before reading V.2. Jonas I think I like more than most people seem to, Cassie I think I like a lot less than most people seem to, America and David were decent, Noh-Vah I found pretty unlikable and Nate is just the worst.

    But yeah, here's hoping for a Thompson penned YA book to be announced soon.
    Oh LAWD JESUS Pleeeease give us some YA sooner than later!
    I'm with you on Jonas and Cassie. I enjoyed Jonas more than I enjoyed Cass. The complexity of his identity and self discovering and self assertion was really intriguing to me.

    Noh Varr's a pretty rad character, if you take his appearance in Gillen's run with a grain of salt. He was much more of a charicature in that piece, imho. Amusing, certainly, but also hyperbolized imho.
    "Um, blah, blah, blah. And, Girl Power. Feminism, d'you know what I mean?"

  14. #824
    Extraordinary Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    9,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    But yeah, here's hoping for a Thompson penned YA book to be announced soon.
    Solicits are due in six days. If it's happening, we should have that announcement before then.

  15. #825
    Extraordinary Member Wiccan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    8,084

    Default

    I feel like most of the YA fandom actually dislikes or just doesn't care about Cassie... Seems like most people who like her are Ant-Man fans.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •