Page 820 of 820 FirstFirst ... 320720770810816817818819820
Results 12,286 to 12,300 of 12300
    Astonishing Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Thanks regardless folks! I did mean Uncanny. My dumb error aha.

Really tempted to go for it.
    Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 1 was my very first Omnibus. What a great read. It can be a little wordy and a little dated for "modern" readers but I found it very enjoyable especially the issues with Byrne's art. I'm not a big X-Men fan but this is one of my favourite Omnibuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I disliked Bendis' GotG. Bendis himself admitted that he read no GotG material beforehand and did no research.

I enjoyed Nova by Loeb, Wells and Duggan. Very enjoyable with some good art.
    Very surprised about Bendis, you' dthink he would have read it.
    That is the land of lost content, I see it shining plain, the happy highways where I went and cannot come again.

Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 1 was my very first Omnibus. What a great read. It can be a little wordy and a little dated for "modern" readers but I found it very enjoyable especially the issues with Byrne's art. I'm not a big X-Men fan but this is one of my favourite Omnibuses.
    If it helps, I have read Dark Phoenix Saga at least four times over. I love it.
    That is the land of lost content, I see it shining plain, the happy highways where I went and cannot come again.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Most people would say Claremont's Uncanny X-men is the definitive run and in a lot of ways it is, especially the Byrne part of it. I think it's a great run but it has some clunker issues and you really have to look at it as a late 70s/80s series because it reads like one. But if you dig that style then it's one of the best bronze age Marvel series (and that's not just my opinion, although it's not my all time favourite from that era).
    Or if you just want the best of the best then the Dark Phoenix Saga is the one you want to read. That one is split between vol1 and vol2 of the omnibuses but it had an ohc which I believe is oop now.

For more modern stuff I think the only current in print X omnibus is Morrison's New X-men I would consider a definitive run. While I love that series I think Whedon's Astonishing (which is basically the follow up run to Morrison's but with a back to basics approach) is a more cohesive one (due to a steady writer-artist team, while Morrison had some questionable artists on his run). Sadly the AXM omnibus is oop but you should be able to track down the 2 ohcs for reasonable prices or the 2 chunky trades.
    Fairs. I don't mind some of the earlier stories. I have read dark phoenix. I love it. One of my favourites. I'm trying to 'ease' away from moderns as I feel I should appreciat ethe classics. I loved siMONSons THor.

Astonishing Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

If it helps, I have read Dark Phoenix Saga at least four times over. I love it.
    Fairs. I don't mind some of the earlier stories. I have read dark phoenix. I love it. One of my favourites. I'm trying to 'ease' away from moderns as I feel I should appreciat ethe classics. I loved siMONSons THor.
    Welll it would seem that UXM Omnibuses Vol 1-2 should find their way onto your shelf

I can't comment on Vol. 3 because I haven't read that material.

Why not appreciate both modern and classic?
    But if you want more older material I would highly recommend Squadron Supreme (the older edition with only the Gruenwald run in it), the O'neill Iron man epics, Michelinie Iron man omnibus and the Stern Spidey omnibus and Cap epics!

Welll it would seem that UXM Omnibuses Vol 1-2 should find their way onto your shelf

I can't comment on Vol. 3 because I haven't read that material.
    Oops I forgot there are three.

Mighty Member

Yeah as far as definitive stuff, DPS and DoFP are the stories you're looking for. As balakin mentioned, DPS is split across v1 and 2, but there is an omnibus coming later in the year collecting the relevant material all together, and there's an ohc of DoFP available.

I also second New X-men. It's a great (mostly) self contained run with as definitive an ending as you could reasonably expect from comics

I'm so grateful for this community.

Fantastic Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    I also second New X-men. It's a great (mostly) self contained run with as definitive an ending as you could reasonably expect from comics
    For more modern stories, New X-Men was very enjoyable for me. Morrison's writing is hit and miss with me, but I consider New X-Men one of his better arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Why not appreciate both modern and classic?
    But if you want more older material I would highly recommend Squadron Supreme (the older edition with only the Gruenwald run in it), the O'neill Iron man epics, Michelinie Iron man omnibus and the Stern Spidey omnibus and Cap epics!
    Thanks bud! I am aiming to balance both!

I plunged and ordered all three!

If you love Dark Phoenix Saga, I can't imagine you won't love all three of the omnis. The first is good, but the second and third is where Claremont really gets his footing with these characters and it takes off. Enjoy!

Spectacular Member

Very surprised about Bendis, you' dthink he would have read it.
    A few issues in and you can tell he did not do any deep research on past materials beforehand.

Vol 3 also includes the excellent God Loves, Man Kills story. If you want a Dark Knight-esque X-Men stuff, that is IT.

Must haves imo.

You wont regret the pickups.