Page 802 of 848 FirstFirst ... 302702752792798799800801802803804805806812 ... LastLast
Results 12,016 to 12,030 of 12714

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    As a huge Ultimate Spider-man fan, I did not particularly like the Miles Morales stuff (I read the first 3 Ultimate Collections). It was nice seeing some of Peter's supporting cast again though. My main issue with the series is that Bendis completely refused to even acknowledge that Miles is black, least of all explore the implications of that in any way. Considering the historical Spider-man paradigm of being distrusted by cops, smeared by the press etc it was a glaring blind spot.

It also felt like big plot lines were rushed and abandoned (like Miles' uncle) to move onto more fun stuff. Then he gets involved with a bunch of dumb Ultimate universe events which sidetracks things even further.
    I only read the first year which I liked but these are valid points, particularly the failure to address Miles’ race which Bendis and Marvel made a big deal about in the early announcement of the series. I did enjoy the Spider-Men limited series, especially how the universe viewed an older Peter Parker and his interactions with Aunt May and the others.

As a huge Ultimate Spider-man fan, I did not particularly like the Miles Morales stuff (I read the first 3 Ultimate Collections). It was nice seeing some of Peter's supporting cast again though. My main issue with the series is that Bendis completely refused to even acknowledge that Miles is black, least of all explore the implications of that in any way. Considering the historical Spider-man paradigm of being distrusted by cops, smeared by the press etc it was a glaring blind spot.
    Bendis tried a bit in the recent run.

For all his good intentions, he just doesn't "get" that part. He has the same issues with Cage.
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Isn't there an omni coming out?
    What do you mean? The 600-page Legionquest HC came out Tuesday but is not branded an omnibus.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

It also felt like big plot lines were rushed and abandoned (like Miles' uncle) to move onto more fun stuff. Then he gets involved with a bunch of dumb Ultimate universe events which sidetracks things even further.
    I kinda feel like writing that story would have opened so many cans of worms, it wouldn't have helped the character. The anti-SJW backlash seems to have missed Miles in general, but I think if he'd done more with Mile's skin colour, it wouldnt have.

For better or worse depends on your mileage I guess.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

On a similar topic, if anyone is bored I wrote this amazon review of the Death of Ultimate Spider-man Omnibus when it was released almost 6 years ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...wasThisHelpful (I know I used the word "so" way too much).

Astonishing Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

On a similar topic, if anyone is bored I wrote this amazon review of the Death of Ultimate Spider-man Omnibus when it was released almost 6 years ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...wasThisHelpful (I know I used the word "so" way too much).
    I had a good read and you nailed some solid points.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I kinda feel like writing that story would have opened so many cans of worms, it wouldn't have helped the character. The anti-SJW backlash seems to have missed Miles in general, but I think if he'd done more with Mile's skin colour, it wouldnt have.

For better or worse depends on your mileage I guess.

Exactly. In any case, with all this striving for equality, issues like skin colour really need to stop being an issue. Spider-man is Spider-man...the fact that Bendis didnt make his skin colour an issue is a good indication that people are moving beyond such matters. The more we focus on things, the more we perpetuate them.

Spectacular Member Master Destructo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    For those of you who may not know, Tigereyes is carrying out his Yearly Most Wanted Omnibus Ballot. Full details here
    For anyone wanting to vote who hasn't yet, it's now or never. He's several votes shy of last year at present. Voting closes today at 7pm EST.

The first entries to make the Most Wanted Omnibuses are in:

#60 (TIE) X-MEN LEGACY BY MIKE CAREY

#60 (TIE) DAZZLER COMPLETE

#59 INVINCIBLE IRON MAN BY MATT FRACTION

#58 CAPTAIN MARVEL (1999) by PETER DAVID

#57 INFINITY CRUSADE

#56 AVENGERS WEST COAST V4

#60 (TIE) X-MEN LEGACY BY MIKE CAREY

#60 (TIE) DAZZLER COMPLETE

#59 INVINCIBLE IRON MAN BY MATT FRACTION

#58 CAPTAIN MARVEL (1999) by PETER DAVID

#57 INFINITY CRUSADE

Quite a drop from X-MEN LEGACY BY MIKE CAREY! It's one of my most wanted!
    Most Wanted Omni: X-Factor 90's (Peter David, DeMatteis and DeZago); X-Factor Investigations (Peter David); X-Men: Legacy (Carey); Alpha Flight Vol2 (Mantlo, Hudnall & Lee); Moon Knight by Ellis, Wood & Bunn OHC ; Moon Knight Vol 1; Excalibur Omnibus Vol. 1;Animal Man Omnibus vol. 2; Animal Man by Lemire; Hellblazer by Ennis ; Question by Dennis O'Neil + Rick Veitch.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoramos View Post
    Quite a drop from X-MEN LEGACY BY MIKE CAREY! It's one of my most wanted!
    I guess on reason might be that they go with trades as reprints for his work on X Men Vol. 2 and the chances are high that Marvel will continue these trades (or abandon them if the first one does not meet expectations)? It was an outstanding run!

Astonishing Member Captain Craig's Avatar

#57 INFINITY CRUSADE

Even though they didn't make my list I would support these entries.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

The next set of entries from the Top 60 Most Wanted Omnibuses:

#55 MICRONAUTS

#54 WHAT IF (1970s)

#53 DOCTOR STRANGE by ROGER STERN

#52 MOON KNIGHT (2006) HUSTON & BENSON

#51 X-MEN: CROSSROADS OMNIBUS

And the next lot:

#50 X-TREME X-MEN

#49 (TIE) NEW WARRIORS VOLUME 2

#49 (TIE) DITKO MONSTERBUS

#48 SUB-MARINER VOLUME 1

#47 COSMIC UNIVERSE BY JIM STARLIN

#46 X-FACTOR (1986)

None of the ones from 55 to 46 tickle my fancy.

Spectacular Member

X-Treme and Crossroads would be instant buys for me!