View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

21 9.81%
  • Deluxe

89 41.59%
  • Omnibus

66 30.84%
  • Absolute

66 30.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 34 of 187 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    This was discussed on the old board but someone in the DC forum posted an updated official list of DC's Essential Graphic Novels:

* Justice League Vol. 1: Origin (New 52)
    * Batman: Earth One
    Geoff Johns must have put this list together if a couple of turds like those two books made it.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    Quick question to anyone who purchased absolute sandman volume 2 off of amazon within the last year or so: was the version you received the version with a flat spine or was it curved like all the others? There have been 4 print runs of volume 2 and I know one of them is screwed up and has a flat spine, but I don't know if that was the most recent printing which is (presumably) the one being sold on amazon (and other online retailers). I know it's kind of superficial but I don't want to buy blind and end up with one of the flat spinned versions. Huge thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Edit: wow, according to the front page abs. Sandman vol. 2 is actually on its 6th reprint...
    Sorry, where did you find out what the current printing is?

JLA is in there, at least I'm assuming the JLAv1 is Morrisons run.
    Just picked this up last night for $7 (original OHC). I know it won't be that easy finding the other 3, but happy with the find nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Sorry, where did you find out what the current printing is?

Just picked this up last night for $7 (original OHC). I know it won't be that easy finding the other 3, but happy with the find nonetheless.
    It's in the second or third post of this thread.

It's in the second or third post of this thread.
    Ah okay, gotcha. Thanks.

It's DCs official list. It's clearly pushing a couple of books to increase sales but I thought it was pretty good as well. I'd replace Batman Earth One with Batman Black Mirror, Justice. League Origins with Authority v1, Batman Hush with Planetary v1 and Superman Earth One with Superman Birthright.

Edit: Earth One not Year One, got to have that.
    Yeah. Those were definitely some of the missing stories I meant. I'm surprised Ex Machina isn't on it considering the recent tpbs. An official list like this would have been a perfect time to plug the widely available Starman Omnibus paperbacks. I can see why they might leave something like Preacher off the list, but Transmetropolitan, The Invisibles, 100 Bullets, and We3 seem like essential vertigo. Arkham Asylum is also curiously absent. In light of the new shows, Hellblazer, Gotham Central and I, Zombie are also strangely left out.
    Last edited by Enormouse; 05-24-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Have updated the new printings list with info from here, new additions are:

THE PLANETARY OMNIBUS HC ((2nd printing) - Available from May 2014
    THE FLASH OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC now will include FLASH COMICS #104. This title is solicited in the May Previews and is scheduled to arrive in stores on September 24.
    SUPERMAN VOL. 4: PSI-WAR HC now includes Action Comics #24.

Quote Originally Posted by Enormouse View Post
    the widely available Starman Omnibus paperbacks
    you mean widely available except volume 3 which is harder to find than a white whale-unicorn hybrid?

Yeah. Those were definitely some of the missing stories I meant. I'm surprised Ex Machina isn't on it considering the recent tpbs. An official list like this would have been a perfect time to plug the widely available Starman Omnibus paperbacks. I can see why they might leave something like Preacher off the list, but Transmetropolitan, The Invisibles, 100 Bullets, and We3 seem like essential vertigo. Arkham Asylum is also curiously absent. In light of the new shows, Hellblazer, Gotham Central and I, Zombie are also strangely left out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    you mean widely available except volume 3 which is harder to find than a white whale-unicorn hybrid?
    There's actually no such thing as a Starman TPB Omnibus. There's a 10 Vol. TPB series and a 6 Vol. HC series. For whatever reason the HC are called "Omnibus", but their not even oversized, they are glued and my personal opinion is that the paperstock and printing quality are OK but nothing to jubilate. The TPB has been OOP for years, the HC is OOP for vol. 3,4 & 5 and it's true that finding a new copy of vol. 3 for less than 100 USD is a challenge. Still some hope here as vol. 1&2 have seen a new printing.
    Last edited by Spirou; 05-25-2014 at 04:16 AM.
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

Quote Originally Posted by Spirou View Post
    There's actually no such thing as a Starman TPB Omnibus. There's a 10 Vol. TPB series and a 6 Vol. HC series. For whatever reason the HC are called "Omnibus", but their not even oversized, they are glued and my personal opinion is that the paperstock and printing quality are OK but nothing to jubilate. The TPB has been OOP for years, the HC is OOP for vol. 3,4 & 5 and it's true that finding a new copy of vol. 3 for less than 100 USD is a challenge. Still some hope here as vol. 1&2 have seen a new printing.
    Actually DC started reprinting the Hardcover Omnibus line in Paperback but stopped at Volume 3 or something because there was just no demand for it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Starman-Omni...dp/1401219373/

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    Actually DC started reprinting the Hardcover Omnibus line in Paperback but stopped at Volume 3 or something because there was just no demand for it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Starman-Omni...dp/1401219373/
    Oh sorry then. My bad. I didn't take notice of this at all. I think that's one of the most frustrating things for collectors when a new format just stops in the middle of nowhere.
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    That's kind of exactly my point. The volumes for 1 and 2 are widely available, yet they canceled the line before 3. It's an incredible series that could benefit from being on a list of essential comics. With the right advertising there might even be demand for it.

That's kind of exactly my point. The volumes for 1 and 2 are widely available, yet they canceled the line before 3. It's an incredible series that could benefit from being on a list of essential comics. With the right advertising there might even be demand for it.
    Oh right, now I get your point, and yes, you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    Quick question to anyone who purchased absolute sandman volume 2 off of amazon within the last year or so: was the version you received the version with a flat spine or was it curved like all the others?
    I got mine from Amazon UK last year and it was curved, exactly the same as the others.

THE FLASH OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC now will include FLASH COMICS #104. This title is solicited in the May Previews and is scheduled to arrive in stores on September 24.
    Why was this issue missing and how important is it?
    "I'm not always hooked on a feeling but when i am, i'm high on believing!" My Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    Why was this issue missing and how important is it?
    Looks like it was the first appearance of Rival, Jay Garrick's "Reverse Flash" basically: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Flash_Comics_Vol_1_104