View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
480. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

45 9.38%
  • Deluxe

194 40.42%
  • Omnibus

187 38.96%
  • Absolute

110 22.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 944 of 944 FirstFirst ... 444844894934940941942943944
Results 14,146 to 14,154 of 14154

How much do the Future's End one shots(collected in the omnibus) contribute/tie into the main series(collected in the trades) and are worth reading with the main series?

BANNED

Future's end was like, mediocre at best. Honestly, it was like 52 Week, Part 2. But even more shittier and the writers and artists just pushed it out to make quota's. I love DC, but that was just horrendous. I wouldn't even waste my time on that uninspired shitfest.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    How much do the Future's End one shots(collected in the omnibus) contribute/tie into the main series(collected in the trades) and are worth reading with the main series?
    Thats a tough question. Its pretty Low, if any. You didnt ask for a review of FE, so I won't include that, but there's hardly any that fit in with the story. I think the biggest one was the Justice League/JLU crossover that was happening in those one shots. I think the Constantine issue was also slightly insightful?

There are some stand alone issues that were worth reading. They don't tie into the FE story, but into the main series themselves. Red Lanterns, Sinestro and Supergirl come to mind.

All-New Member

The one Futures End one-shot I recall that actually tied into the ongoing series was the Flash one, which was part of a storyline where present-day Barry Allen was fighting an alternate future version of himself. For most DC books, the Futures End stunt worked like a skip month, and many of the specials weren't even written and drawn by the regular creative teams. In my opinion, the writer who made the best use of the concept was Charles Soule. The Swamp Thing and Red Lanterns one-shots work beautifully as epilogues to his runs on those respective series, even though they shipped months before his final issues came out.
    Last edited by Starro; 08-16-2017 at 05:28 AM.

All-New Member

Sorry, double-posted by accident.
    Last edited by Starro; 08-16-2017 at 05:27 AM.

Incredible Member

The only one that might be worth reading along with the main Futures End series is the Green Arrow one, it spoilers:
    goes a bit more into his fake out death and what hes been doing since before his reappearance in the main Futures End book
    end of spoilers

You really don't need to bother with any of the others, they are pure world building which is kinda nice for the whole Elseworlds/Alternate future thing they've got going on but none of them really tie-in to any events in the main book.

Thanks everyone for the input about Future's End. IST had the omnibus on damage/clearance for 38 bucks but looks like someone else picked it up.

Maybe if it's ever that low again I'll bite.

All-New Member

Only now I realize I completely misunderstood ER Prest's question. By "main series", I thought he meant DC's many ongoing series, not the weekly Futures End series. Since Lemire and Jurgens were part of Futures End's writing team, the one-shots they wrote (Justice League, Justice League United, Green Arrow, Superman, Aquaman, Aquaman and the Others) tended to be the ones that tied most closely into the weekly series.

And while I singled out Soule's one-shots as the best of the bunch, I must say Grayson: Futures End is an excellent piece of writing, too. It was the comic that made me realize Tom King was a writer to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Starro View Post
    Only now I realize I completely misunderstood ER Prest's question. By "main series", I thought he meant DC's many ongoing series, not the weekly Futures End series. Since Lemire and Jurgens were part of Futures End's writing team, the one-shots they wrote (Justice League, Justice League United, Green Arrow, Superman, Aquaman, Aquaman and the Others) tended to be the ones that tied most closely into the weekly series.

And while I singled out Soule's one-shots as the best of the bunch, I must say Grayson: Futures End is an excellent piece of writing, too. It was the comic that made me realize Tom King was a writer to watch.
    No worries. I could have worded and clarified a bit better hah