View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

21 10.34%
  • Deluxe

83 40.89%
  • Omnibus

62 30.54%
  • Absolute

65 32.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 161 of 161 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161
Results 2,401 to 2,404 of 2404

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    I'll preface this by saying I am in no way an expert just an enthusiastic hobbiest like nearly everyone else here, I'll also try and squeeze this into one post with the boards image per post rule.

3 Omnibus.
    On the left a Marvel one, Fantastic Four by Hickman. Everyone says marvel omnis are the best for binding and thats pretty much true.
    In the middle a DC/Vertigo Omni which everyone says is great. Sleeper by Brubaker
    On the right a DC/Vertigo Omni which is bad (binding wise). House of Secrets by Seagle (I actually think this is the worst omni I own for being a 'Mousetrap')

Here they are without their dustjackets.

Heres a close up of their respective bindings.

What can we see here? Well they are all definitely sewn, the Marvel one has a nice rounded spine, the others not so much.

Here they are open just a little way in.

Fantastic Four and Sleeper are both open under their own weight at this point and HoS is held open (hence the tilt on the spine).

Again what do we see. Both F4 and Sleeper allow those first few pages to come up, out and over the cover itself comfortably allowing them to stay open under their own weight. HoS the paper block is being impeded by the hardcover itself preventing it from opening comfortably and forcing itself closed again. In fact if you look a little but closer (might be hard to make out in my picture in which case I apologise) the actual inlay (the connecting page from the page block to the cover) for HoS isn't just glued to the cover by also to the 'hinge area' which means it almost keep pulling the book closed constantly because it dosn't have the room to move. Now the page blocks is not in anyway glued directly to the spine in fact I can run a ruler down the whole length of the spine Link as I've hit the image limit for the post and the ribbons on the top and bottom of page blocks these days are purely decorative and are glued on in both Marvel and DC omni (these post on these very forums from user whose Marvel ribbons have detached and they've had to repair) so I find it difficult to point at them as fault for these problems.

And there are definitely some problems with certain DC omni but its simply not as cut and dry as 'Glued bad, sewn good' or 'All DC omni are mousetraps'.

If anyone else fancies dissecting some omni off their shelves as an example I'd be interested to see.
    You picked the ONLY 2 well done omnibuses by DC. EVERY other DC omnibus is not done that way and those 2 stand out. HoS being glued to the cover is only a problem if the signatures are also glued. You can see in the F4 copy that the sewn only method allows more flexibility and prevents the tightness issues that arise from being glued to the inside cover.

A glued book is not the worst thing ever and works perfectly fine for smaller books or books without many double wide pages but when I drop $100 - $125 on a book, it better be sewn only. That's just my preference though. Binding doesn't matter as much to others.

EDIT: Actually, that's not completely true. I confused Hos with the Golden Age Superman. Sandman vol 1 is also well done. The rest gluewn. If you want I'd be happy to post some comparison pics.
    Last edited by Captain Planet; 10-23-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    You picked the ONLY 2 well done omnibuses by DC. EVERY other DC omnibus is not done that way and those 2 stand out.

EDIT: Actually, that's not completely true. I confused Hos with the Golden Age Superman. Sandman vol 1 is also well done. The rest gluewn. If you want I'd be happy to post some comparison pics.
    yupp, just reading Sandman v1 again, great binding. Also,I have to mention this every time, beautiful book.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    yupp, just reading Sandman v1 again, great binding. Also,I have to mention this every time, beautiful book.
    It always tempts me when I see it. It's a gorgeous book.

Are there any hardcovers that correct early harley Quinn stories? I want to read Batman adventures and the Alex ross ones but not sure if they're collected.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor