View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
306. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

    28 9.15%
  • Deluxe

    124 40.52%
  • Omnibus

    106 34.64%
  • Absolute

    86 28.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 375 of 375 FirstFirst ... 275325365371372373374375
Results 5,611 to 5,619 of 5619
  1. #5611
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Utrecht, Holland
    Posts
    2,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Can't agree more. I've long said this, but a central theme with Ennis' writing is the value of friendship, from Tommy and Nat, to Cassidy and Jesse to Billy and Hughie, etc. The dude can craft some touching conversations. Also - and you caught it here - that annual was bad ass. The thing about Ennis is that he didn't write "throw away" one shots. His Hitman vs. Lobo story was another one-shot that was cool as well.
    Yes indeed. You forget sometimes that under the profanity lies some very powerful emotional stuff few writers can rival. And yeah I agree, even when the stories are meant as fillers (for example the Final Night tie-in) they matter if only because they further develop the characters and their relarionships between each other. And that annual was the perfect mix of a classic film homage and just plain ol' Hitman style craziness. The ending was bit grim though (even for Ennis) but an amazing story indeed. I especially loved the stand-off (like I said, perfect mix between classic western homage and Hitman insanity). Overall I can't wait to get my mitts on vol 5-7.
    "That night he walked through fire, and the fire didn't burn him. That night he walked through bullets, and the bullets didn't mark him. They say that night Veto Skreemer chased death. They say that he found death many timed. But he would not or could not stay dead."

  2. #5612
    Junior Member vark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    France
    Posts
    281

    Default

    I was hesitating with that Absolute Y as I haven't read this comics ever. It will be the occasion! But I thought it was scheduled for later this month?

  3. #5613

    Default

    I'm also interested in the paper stock on Absolute Y. Similar matte paper as is in the deluxes or the Absolutes of LH/DV/HK?

  4. #5614
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    I'm also interested in the paper stock on Absolute Y. Similar matte paper as is in the deluxes or the Absolutes of LH/DV/HK?
    From what I've seen, Absolute Transmetropolitan got the matte paper... so Y the last man probably too.

  5. #5615
    Veteran Member TomSlick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Yes indeed. You forget sometimes that under the profanity lies some very powerful emotional stuff few writers can rival. And yeah I agree, even when the stories are meant as fillers (for example the Final Night tie-in) they matter if only because they further develop the characters and their relarionships between each other. And that annual was the perfect mix of a classic film homage and just plain ol' Hitman style craziness. The ending was bit grim though (even for Ennis) but an amazing story indeed. I especially loved the stand-off (like I said, perfect mix between classic western homage and Hitman insanity). Overall I can't wait to get my mitts on vol 5-7.

    Oh man, you haven't read the whole run? I wish I was you and reading it for the first time.
    By the way, speaking of one-shots, although it wasn't a one-shot, the Hitman issue that featured Superman in it - the one that was mostly a conversation - won an Eisner that year for best story as I recall.

  6. #5616
    Rookie Member aleksivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    I'm also interested in the paper stock on Absolute Y. Similar matte paper as is in the deluxes or the Absolutes of LH/DV/HK?

    Paper stock is like the deluxe. Here's a closer look


  7. #5617
    Junior Member Hellboydce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Solihull, UK
    Posts
    357

    Default

    it might be worth a topic, but i wonder if I'm the only person in the world that found Y boring?

  8. #5618
    Rookie Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    49

    Default

    ....

    ....

    Yes.

    Edit: being slightly less facetious, I can see how the meandering nature of the story might lose potential readers. While I really enjoy it, love it even, it does feel like a series of lots of little vignettes while he stumbles his way across the world to Beth; the overarching theme being the development of the relationship between 355 and Yorick.

    Edit edit: There's so much richness to the world, the books explorations of what it means to be a man, what it means to be a woman, great depth of character. It's really pretty great. Shares a lot of similarities with the 70's TV show 'Kung Fu', now that I think about it.
    Last edited by GetEveryone; Today at 01:42 AM.

  9. #5619
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Azerbaijan
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    it might be worth a topic, but i wonder if I'm the only person in the world that found Y boring?
    of course you're not the only one

    i think it's generally overrated - even though i personally enjoyed it while i read it (and i might reread it sometime in the future), but definitely not to the extent of getting the expensive and bulky absolute editions, it's just not worth it for me in any aspect.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •