View Poll Results: Do you think DC has gone the wrong route with their movies.

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

64 34.04%
  • NO

124 65.96%
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738 LastLast
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    That's not even really true, either. It's more a case of where and when it should be seen than never.
    Well, from an outsider perspective, The US really do seem extremely uptight about sex. But you know, Brazil.... I may not be in the best position to make a fair judgment.

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Well, from an outsider perspective, The US really do seem extremely uptight about sex. But you know, Brazil.... I may not be in the best position to make a fair judgment.
    Compared to other Western-style countries, we might seem more uptight. Nevertheless, the US isn't remotely close to being the most sex shy on the planet.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

We miss you, Captain Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I believe the counter-point is that people are naturally averse to violence. We don't really want to hurt each other. But we will have sex and swear quite easily if prompted. So showing us violence isn't going to "normalize" violence, but telling people who don't need to be having sex (because they aren't prepared for the consequences one way or another) that sex is fine and OK to do will lead to more of it, same with language.

I'm not saying I agree with that theory, just that I think that's how we have gotten to where we are.
    Just to clarify Im not saying you believe in any of the issues Im addressing. I'm simply addressing the point you made. I didn't say that violence in media would "normalize violence" nor do I believe so. However if we don't believe violence in media is escalating violence in the society then why are people believe sex and fault language in media will create more sex and fault language? In movies, comics and games violence is often the only solution. For instance I can't remember torture to get information has ever been wrong. it is always a succesful way to get reliable information whatever it is tv series (24) Movies (James Bond) Games (Mass Effect) or Comics (Batman). When we romanticize violence and torture it might not create more violence but it creates an idea that it is a useful tool.

Isn't fault language and sex minor problems compared to violence? Teenager will have sex regardless of media they have been doing so for thousands of years only difference is more and more people gets to choose whom they want to sleep with. Educating teenager about birth control is a much better and safer route to go than indirectly censuring media with a rating system. I believe that when media is tabooing sex then it also tabooing sex in the society. It doesn't prevent it for happening it only prevents people from talking about which is counter productive. Simply sing an out of sight out of mind tactic.

If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    For instance I can't remember torture to get information has ever been wrong. it is always a succesful way to get reliable information whatever it is tv series (24) Movies (James Bond) Games (Mass Effect) or Comics (Batman). When we romanticize violence and torture it might not create more violence but it creates an idea that it is a useful tool.
    Off topic, but who the hell did you torture in Mass Effect?

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Off topic, but who the hell did you torture in Mass Effect?
    I think he's referring to Thane's Loyalty mission in Mass Effect 2 where you have the Renegade option of extracting information from a guy by simply punching the crap out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    I think he's referring to Thane's Loyalty mission in Mass Effect 2 where you have the Renegade option of extracting information from a guy by simply punching the crap out of him.
    Yeah that is it. Besides many of the renegade option also threaten with violence (if I remember correctly be a few years since I played Mass Effect 2) which deals with the same problem. The interesting here comicwise is some writers (though I can't find it at the moment, I remember it being on the Kevin Smith podcast Fatman on Batman but I could be mistaken) have expressed they wanted this deus ex machina gone, at least on an ideal level but realistically it is a trope which is turf to get rid of because it would make storytelling harder.

Yes I think they've gone the wrong way, in so much their universe at present come off at its core as an attempt by corporate Hollywood to reverse engineer an auteur's vision and mass produce it.

I know it's a different medium but CW Flash shows that you can have a DC hero with personal drama, life or death situations and have the characters be "fun" at the same time. It's understandable that WB/DC wants to differentiate themselves from Marvel. The problem is that some of us fear is that by making their universe more "grounded" it'll lead to making every character into a walking pile "my life is misery". Don't get me wrong I have no problem with darker stuff but there are people who think the DC movies are gonna become this: tumblr_nqv9r4cKWG1se4sm5o1_1280.jpg My point is that the variety of characters DC have is the best way to define the universe their in. Some are at the dark end of the spectrum, some are at the light and then there are those who are in between the two. Having them all in the grim and gritty side is gonna turn people off.

Edt: 100th post!
    Last edited by AquaLantern; 07-21-2015 at 07:55 AM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Compared to other Western-style countries, we might seem more uptight. Nevertheless, the US isn't remotely close to being the most sex shy on the planet.
    In terms of attitudes towards sex and sexuality, the U.S. might be among the most bipolar societies in the world....something the U.S. likely inherited from England (particularly its Puritan strain).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I might not like some of the new DC stuff personally, but I like that Convergence brought back the infinite Earths back because 52 alternate universes seems limiting.
    Somewhere the Justice Society of America is shaking their heads in disbelief

Quote Originally Posted by AquaLantern View Post
    I know it's a different medium but CW Flash shows that you can have a DC hero with personal drama, life or death situations and have the characters be "fun" at the same time. It's understandable that WB/DC wants to differentiate themselves from Marvel. The problem is that some of us fear is that by making their universe more "grounded" it'll lead to making every character into a walking pile "my life is misery". Don't get me wrong I have no problem with darker stuff but there are people who think the DC movies are gonna become this: My point is that the variety of characters DC have is the best way to define the universe their in. Some are at the dark end of the spectrum, some are at the light and then there are those who are in between the two. Having them all in the grim and gritty side is gonna turn people off.
    Right, but if you've heard literally anything they've said about the future of their movies it's pretty apparent that in Flash and Shazam at least this won't be this case, and Ayer has said there's a lot of comedy moments in SS.

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    In terms of attitudes towards sex and sexuality, the U.S. might be among the most bipolar societies in the world....something the U.S. likely inherited from England (particularly its Puritan strain).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    That's closer to the truth, based on our mix of cultures.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

We miss you, Captain Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    I might not like some of the new DC stuff personally, but I like that Convergence brought back the infinite Earths back because 52 alternate universes seems limiting.
    Wrong thread?

I prefer the darker tone.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Right, but if you've heard literally anything they've said about the future of their movies it's pretty apparent that in Flash and Shazam at least this won't be this case, and Ayer has said there's a lot of comedy moments in SS.
    Too add to this, didn't the WB president recently say that humour is an essential part to their universe? And it might have been said person (not sure) who also said that the DC's movies are going to be a lit bit more more edgier than Marvels. It amazes me how everyone who brings that up always forgets the little bit more. And it seems unlike Marvel they're dealing with real time consequences and how IRL things would be perceived, ie Superman. I think DC are going the right and best way with their movies! Infact it might be a blessing Marvel beat them to it, BvS is shaping up to be the greatest Superhero movie ever.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.
    "...SOMETIMES IT'S ONLY MADNESS THAT MAKES US WHAT WE ARE"- Batman