Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default is there a worse ultimates title than ultimate iron man?

Seriously....the thing was so bad they retconned it as a cartoon show about tony stark.

Orson Scott Card didn't check any of his facts before writing it. Tony having regenerative abilities, his mom being dead....i honestly don't remember if I finished reading the series but if I did it's been so long I don't remember how it ended. The artwork was great in it but the story sucked big time.
    "Drewbacca?"

I'm sorry I was expecting shadayim

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    is there a worse ultimates title than ultimate iron man?
    Dude, go read Ultimate Power, then Ultimate Origins and see if you still need to ask that question. Ultimate Iron Man is far from the worst book in the Ultimate line.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    Dude, go read Ultimate Power, then Ultimate Origins and see if you still need to ask that question. Ultimate Iron Man is far from the worst book in the Ultimate line.
    I liked origins. Power i didn't really understand cause Ive never read supreme power. But i don't remember hating it.
    "Drewbacca?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    And neither of those were so bad they were retconned as cartoons with in the ultimate universe.
    "Drewbacca?"

And neither of those were so bad they were retconned as cartoons with in the ultimate universe.
    Power was shit-awful. Terrible art, terrible story, terrible dialogue. Iron Man was just average. And Millar retconning it as a cartoon was for continuity, not quality. It was also probably the edgiest crap Millar's ever pulled, which is saying something.

Anything from UWS/DWF...

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateStuntz View Post
    Anything from UWS/DWF...
    Yeah Humphries run was the worst of the UU imo.
    Bring back Ultimate Wolverine....again

I haven't read Ultimate Power or Ultimate Iron Man, but I find it hard to believe that anything could possibly be worse than the colossal joke that is Ultimates 3.

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonBlownapart View Post
    I haven't read Ultimate Power or Ultimate Iron Man, but I find it hard to believe that anything could possibly be worse than the colossal joke that is Ultimates 3.

I liked ultimates 3.
    "Drewbacca?"

Seriously....the thing was so bad they retconned it as a cartoon show about tony stark.

Orson Scott Card didn't check any of his facts before writing it. Tony having regenerative abilities, his mom being dead....i honestly don't remember if I finished reading the series but if I did it's been so long I don't remember how it ended. The artwork was great in it but the story sucked big time.
    Well, at least it could be retconned, it didn't just took a shite in the whole universe and then left the other writers to sort it out. I've been on and off the Ultimate Universe since Ultimatum. Pretty much just to follow the Ultimate X-Men (Credit where it's due, at least Ultimate X was pretty good, and it set up a nice second generation X-Men vs Brotherhood thing that other writers sadly dropped), holding on to the few that haven't died pointlessly. Now after Cataclysim I guess I'm done with it. The only book that has been more or less safe from the after efects is Spider-Man.

Wait, since when did ultimate power have bad art? That's easily the best thing about the book. I personally think the story is fine. A little simple, but its a fun romp. I actually have avoided ultimate iron man due to all the negative word of mouth, plus Orson Scott card is a turd, so its been easy to avoid the temptation. While everyone will likely agree that Loeb's first few efforts really killed a lot of what was good about mk1, ultimate x and new ultimates were both quite good. Unfortunately, Hickman's ultimates was so good that every writer since has failed to live up to it.

Also, noticed someone mentioned origins. I personally love it. The idea of having the whole universe having a tightknit history is just neat to me and a nice departure from the seemingly random coincidences of the 616 universe.
    Last edited by MykeHavoc; 06-10-2014 at 07:30 AM.
    Time; the death that's life. Through sewn shut eyes,
    Black stars shine the light of the dark side.

I really disliked Hunger, more so than anything else I've read in the UU, even with the likes of Ultimate Adventure and Ultimate Iron Man (which I did enjoy the first one, despite how strange it was). Mar-Vell was terribly out of character, and so were the entire Kree race (what happened to weird doggy-like Scooby Doo creatures?) and Rick Jones was so damn boring. I had just reread the Ultimate Gah Lak Tus trilogy, and the horrifically bad revelation that the Kree had built them, which makes no sense when taking into account Ultimate Secret, ruining the mystery behind them. And so did them merging with Galactus, which made no sense logic-wise for them. The plot went nowhere as well.

The biggest problem I had with it was that Fialkov's general writing wasn't terrible, but the characters and plots were. My brain was telling me, yeah, it's okay, but everything in my head was hating it.

For me, Ultimate Power wasn't bad, apart from Loeb's issues. If I remember correctly, he managed to use every single cliche for characters (It's Clobbering Time, I'm the Best at What I Do) in a way that was supposed to be awesome.

The (rebooted) Savior Flash Gordon's Avatar

ULTIMATES 3 is the worst, along with everything else with LOEB on it.
    Had a really nice marriage, but got retconned and now she doesn't even want to get coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    ULTIMATES 3 is the worst, along with everything else with LOEB on it.
    Personally, I liked Ultimate X, specially the whole New X-Men vs New Brotherhood generational thing it had going on, too bad it was completely scrapped and they were all turned into fanatic zealots (World War X was great, but X-Men post Ultimatum has been all about dropped storylines).

Ultimate Power, writing wise, is actually pretty good until Loeb's issues. Then everything that was interesting gets aggressively chucked out the window and replaced with crap.

I think it's easy to overlook some of the more forgettable, but gawdawful, Ultimates books. Cataclysm: Ultimates is worse than anything anyone has mentioned so far, but it's so boring and unnecessary that I doubt many people read it.