Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I can't imagine that telling them that fairy magic is going to solve everything isn't more destructive than telling them the truth.

I live in the dried up remains of a factory town, there's nothing but cows here now. The factory in the next town over is shutting down, NOBODY is coming to help them, and that town will dry up over the next decade or two. I get it, I get it better than anyone. It SUCKS! Life sucks, and nothing ever gets better. But lying to people, desperate people who just want to secure their livelihood, makes politicians like Trump the lowest of the low.

Clinton might not have had the plan you wanted, but she had a plan. She was trying to help. She wasn't blowing smoke just to steal votes. But in the end, no matter what they might say, people don't want a person that tells it like it is they want one that tells it like they wish it were. Fairy magic is an easy sell.
    Again Clinton didn't have plan. She gave vague promises that after the thing they relied on died, she would come with some magical new jobs that they could easily be trained for. At that, those vague promises came off to them as an afterthought of "support our platform first, we know you are in trouble, but afterwards we will figure it out". While Trump was saying "you are my main priority, I'm saving you".

They weren't going to take a backseat to another agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The the problem is there is no gaurantee of them being "handed new jobs". It was Clinton saying "oh sucks for you, but we'll find something new for you, in the meanwhile we care more about these other policies, so help us with those first". Trump was just playing savior, which is better than nothing.
    Lying to them is better than actually having a plan to help find them new jobs??? Yeah, that sounds about right for someone who would vote Trump.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmeyers View Post
    Lying to them is better than actually having a plan to help find them new jobs??? Yeah, that sounds about right for someone who would vote Trump.
    There was no plan. That's the difference.

A. Your factories and mines are shutting down, I'll stop them and help you keep your jobs.
    B. Your factories and mines are shutting down, I can't stop it, but support me and my agenda, and maybe down the line we replace the jobs with something else.

They were both vague empty promises. Trump's just was a more direct one that addressed their issues and Clinton's was a second hand one that if you came out and supported her agenda it may trickle back and being you new jobs after your old ones died.

If the centerpiece of her campaign was about prioritizing new jobs into old defunct factory and mining towns, and that was what she was running on, she probably would have had more concrete plans on it, and she might have one that vote. She asked them to support things that didn't effect them and offered no direct answers to how those new jobs would get there, and then barely really even showed up in those states, and then those people felt abandoned by her.

Again Clinton didn't have plan. She gave vague promises that after the thing they relied on died, she would come with some magical new jobs that they could easily be trained for. At that, those vague promises came off to them as an afterthought of "support our platform first, we know you are in trouble, but afterwards we will figure it out". While Trump was saying "you are my main priority, I'm saving you".

...no.

Trump's message was "The jobs are coming back. I will make them come back"
    It was what he pushed from the beginning, and he continues to push to this day. And it's bullshit.
    It's not about agenda, it's about outright falsehoods being sold to a desperate populous.

...no.

Trump's message was "The jobs are coming back. I will make them come back"
    It was what he pushed from the beginning, and he continues to push to this day. And it's bullshit.
    It's not about agenda, it's about outright falsehoods being sold to a desperate populous.
    That's the key word - desperate. Desperate people don't always make the best decisions, especially when the other side is saying 'later' and you feel you need relief now. Provide desperate people with some snake oil and/or someone to blame for their problems and they will often hand you what little they have left.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    In New Hamshpire, a fourteen year old boy led a group of teens to taunt an 8 year old biracial boy for being black, and then attempted to lynch him from a tree. Cops there are trying to shield the public from more details about the case, arguing that all parties involved are minors, and they don't want these "youthful mistakes" coming to haunt them as adults.

Trump's f***ing America, ladies and gents.
    What the hell is this nonsense? "Youthful mistakes"? Are you kidding me? What those miserable little shits did was not a "youthful mistake", it was an outright criminal act, and they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    What the hell is this nonsense? "Youthful mistakes"? Are you kidding me? What those miserable little shits did was not a "youthful mistake", it was an outright criminal act, and they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!
    Ya know, it's just a locker room lynching.

The phrase "youthful mistake" does not appear in the Root article, or in the NH1 local news item that was the basis for the Root article.

I think Worstblogever put it in quotation marks in order to mock an alternate point of view, albeit one that isn't expressed.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Invincible Member TheInvisibleMan's Avatar

That is a frakkin' copout

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The phrase "youthful mistake" does not appear in the Root article, or in the NH1 local news item that was the basis for the Root article.

I think Worstblogever put it in quotation marks in order to mock an alternate point of view, albeit one that isn't expressed.
    NH1.com said that Claremont Police Chief Mark Chase refused to comment on the case, but said the department is investigating the incident, which took place on Aug. 28. He said that because the perpetrators are juveniles, he is prevented from discussing the case publicly.

He said that unlike the adult judicial system, which is aimed at punishment, the juvenile justice system is designed to correct and rehabilitate aberrant behavior.

“These people need to be protected,” Chase said. “Mistakes they make as a young child should not have to follow them for the rest of their life.”

“Notice how he called these predators ‘young children,'” wrote Helm, “infantilizing the white teens. Conversely, teens like Trayvon Martin are made out to be hulking, menacing adults. Chief Chase seems to be centering the perpetrators feelings and futures, all but forgetting about the trauma of a little boy who had his so-called friends hang him from a tree to the point where he had to be medevaced to a hospital.”

According to the victim’s grandmother Lorrie Slattery, he was playing with a group of children and teens when they began to taunt him with racist epithets and throw sticks and rocks at him.

Someone stood on a picnic table and the group wrapped a rope from a nearby tire swing around the boy’s throat, then kicked him off the table.

The victim swung back and forth three times before he was able to free himself. None of the teens came to his aid.

NH1.com said Chief Chase refused to state whether the crime was racially motivated, although accounts of the incident make it clear the attack was based on the child’s race.

Slattery told Valley News it’s clear to her that the attack was racist because her grandson has been targeted for racist abuse from the same group of children and teens in the past.
    “If you listen to the fans, you’ll find yourself sitting with them”

- Joe Kuharich

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    White teenagers lynch biracial eight-year old.

The article starts off with "Welcome to Donald Trump's America," and I can't help but agree. Dropping the ball on Charlottesville, and giving tacit approval to racial separatists and supremacists leads to shit like this. Kids are listening, and they are absorbing the worst ideas.
    Sum bitches. I just can't understand why some white folks think that it's okay to go around harming people who don't look like them?
    What could this 8-year-old have done in his life to deserve this? This ain't some creepy pasta, where he's some ancient deity reincarnated into an 8-year-old bi-racial kid. This is a real human being.
    Is always confused.....

My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    That is a frakkin' copout
    Agreed. If those deplorable shits had been black, there damn sure wouldn't be any talk of protecting those "young children" or worrying about how "mistakes" they made shouldn't follow them for the rest of their lives. Instead, there would be outraged howling from coast to coast to lock up those kids until they're old enough to collect Social Security.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Agreed. If those deplorable shits had been black, there damn sure wouldn't be any talk of protecting those "young children" or worrying about how "mistakes" they made shouldn't follow them for the rest of their lives. Instead, there would be outraged howling from coast to coast to lock up those kids until they're old enough to collect Social Security.
    I doubt there are any laws to protect dead victims of police shootings - and by being unable to defend themselves by being dead, it's even easier to drag names through the mud.

That said, I think at least the ringleader here needs to be charged as an adult.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I can't imagine that telling them that fairy magic is going to solve everything isn't more destructive than telling them the truth.

I live in the dried up remains of a factory town, there's nothing but cows here now. The factory in the next town over is shutting down, NOBODY is coming to help them, and that town will dry up over the next decade or two. I get it, I get it better than anyone. It SUCKS! Life sucks, and nothing ever gets better. But lying to people, desperate people who just want to secure their livelihood, makes politicians like Trump the lowest of the low.

Clinton might not have had the plan you wanted, but she had a plan. She was trying to help. She wasn't blowing smoke just to steal votes. But in the end, no matter what they might say, people don't want a person that tells it like it is they want one that tells it like they wish it were. Fairy magic is an easy sell.
    I wonder if some of them weren't aware of options that are out there. When the hospital where I worked back decided to close and had to phase things out over a period of a few months the clerical staff was let go two days before Thanksgiving. You could qualify for a different level of benefits as a displaced worker if you laid off and there is no job to return to. It has probably changed over the years but I was already taking classes in the evenings at the Purdue extension. I had to apply and submit various paperwork but they paid for a percentage of my tuition as long as I maintained my grades. I don't know if the program varies from state to state but it was through the local unemployment office.
    Doctor Doom Appreciation Thread at CBR Forums
    My old SuperHero Squad name: Steel Divine Duke

Class 5 Roaming Vapor BeastieRunner's Avatar

Looks like Jose is heading for the East Coast again.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

An actual plan is difficult to articulate in a sound-bite or a tweet. Don't blame a politician just because you don't have the time to look up her proposals on her website.