1. #99901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Nope -- never said that: every situation is unique.

    But have fun with your strawman, as you so often do regardless.
    Strawman accusations are not framed as "if this, then that" extrapolations.

    The very definition of a strawman accusation is that A must claim that B said something B did not say.

  2. #99902
    Rebel that Rebels BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    6,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I'm no legal eagle but doesn't Trump have to wait to see if he's tried and convicted? There could still be some dirty laundry that gets aired pertaining to Trump.
    Tried and found guilty. Then he can be pardoned. Trump pardoned that sheriff before sentencing. First time for a modern POTUS.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  3. #99903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Which in no way reflects what this racist asshat GOPer said. But could we expect anything else?
    Back in Feb 2018 Ian Walters said:

    “We elected Mike Steele as chairman because he was a black guy, that was the wrong thing to do”

    Now is that a criticism of Michael Steele, or of equal opportunity generally?

  4. #99904
    Rebel that Rebels BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    6,859

    Default

    The Terrible Arguments Against the Constitutionality of the Mueller Investigation.

    Written by none other than top Republican lawyer, husband of current Trump Trustee, the one, the only ... GEORGE CONWAY!

    Oh man, she's gonna get fired.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  5. #99905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You mean like Melania? She lied.
    If Melania were stripped of her citizenship for falsifications, it certainly wouldn't be any skin off my nose. We both know that it's not going to happen, and more, that no laws are going to be set aside just because some people manage to circumvent them. So what's the relevance?

  6. #99906
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Strawman accusations are not framed as "if this, then that" extrapolations.

    The very definition of a strawman accusation is that A must claim that B said something B did not say.
    Ok -- thanks for the info.

  7. #99907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post

    Great great profiles.


    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I don't get why you are even bothering to engage in strawman bs. It's clear he wanted to use that as an opportunity to paint people who had issues with Hillary as misogynists because it's easier to say "oh they all just didn't like her because she's a woman" as opposed to really considering why some people didn't want to vote for her.
    I don't engage with that person most times. The Passive Aggressiveness is amazing. Also if you don't like Hillary, your reasons are bullshit, also But Bernie sucks too.
    They're not an honest actor with this particular topic.
    Is always confused.....

    My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

    My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

  8. #99908
    formerly edhopper Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Back in Feb 2018 Ian Walters said:

    “We elected Mike Steele as chairman because he was a black guy, that was the wrong thing to do”

    Now is that a criticism of Michael Steele, or of equal opportunity generally?
    First, that's not the politician from the linked article. Second that assumes this asshat is right about the only reason for Steele. Which is a racist statement itself. Quacks like a duck. But keep defending this bs, we can get you a bigger shovel.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  9. #99909
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Royal Castle of Atlantica, High Court of Terra
    Posts
    16,516

    Default

    Undocumented immigrants pay billions of dollars in federal taxes each year

    The reality is far different. Immigrants who are authorized to work in the United States pay the same taxes as US citizens. And, contrary to the persistent myth, undocumented immigrants do in fact pay taxes too. Millions of undocumented immigrants file tax returns each year, and they are paying taxes for benefits they can’t even use.

    The best estimates come from research by the Institute of Taxation and Economic Policy, a Washington, DC, think tank, which suggests that about half of undocumented workers in the United States file income tax returns. The most recent IRS data, from 2015, shows that the agency received 4.4 million income tax returns from workers who don’t have Social Security numbers, which includes a large number of undocumented immigrants. That year, they paid $23.6 billion in income taxes.

    Those undocumented workers paid taxes for benefits they can’t even use, like Social Security and Medicare. They also aren’t eligible for benefits like the earned income tax credit. But the IRS still expects unauthorized immigrants to file their taxes, and many of them do so.

    Filing taxes helps immigrants create a paper trail to show when they entered the country and how long they’ve been contributing tax dollars. Many are hoping it will help them get legal status one day. That has happened in past reform efforts, and one of the first requirements is usually to prove that a person has been paying taxes. That was the case for the undocumented youth granted temporary work permits under President Obama’s deportation relief program, known as DACA. With the Trump administration’s anti-immigrant agenda, however, their chance of getting papers seems remote for now.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.
    DBM: Meagan/Cyanna/Dash/Mirror Mage

  10. #99910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Is it retroactive and does it impact the descendants of people who lied to get in? Meaning where exactly did your family immigrate from Mets? Maybe we should look into their paperwork.

    You know, just in case.
    It does not seem to have any effect on birthright citizenship.

    Your hostility to the policy does raise the question of what it is that you want. What is the best immigration policy? Should the United States, as a nation, increase incentives to lie when seeking citizenship by offering no penalties for it?

    So, taking citizenship away from people who lied on documentation to obtain citizenship is equivalent to the Nazis?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  11. #99911
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Royal Castle of Atlantica, High Court of Terra
    Posts
    16,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It does not seem to have any effect on birthright citizenship.

    Your hostility to the policy does raise the question of what it is that you want. What is the best immigration policy? Should we increase incentives to lie when seeking citizenship by offering no penalties for it?



    So, taking citizenship away from people who lied on documentation to obtain citizenship is equivalent to the Nazis?
    How about setting up an immigration system that works, one that works so well that people can be in the country and not be so afraid that they feel the need to lie about it. A system where everyone can get some kind of legal status, even if they aren't Citizens.

    People lie because they are terrified. Not because they are criminals.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.
    DBM: Meagan/Cyanna/Dash/Mirror Mage

  12. #99912
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Royal Castle of Atlantica, High Court of Terra
    Posts
    16,516

    Default

    WATCH: Arizona GOP candidate goes on racist rant over the lack of white kids in school

    Republican David Stringer warned that immigration will have a negative impact on white kids during a speech in Arizona on Monday, reported the Phoenix New Times.

    While speaking at the Yavapai County Republican Men’s Forum, he said immigration is an “existential threat” to America
    He told the group that immigration will impact the voting base in the future because “there aren’t enough white kids to go around.”

    “Sixty percent of public school children in the state of Arizona today are minorities,” Stringer said. “That complicates racial integration because there aren’t enough white kids to go around. And when you look at that 60 percent number for public school students, just carry that forward 10 or 15 years. It’s going to change the demographic voting base of this state.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.
    DBM: Meagan/Cyanna/Dash/Mirror Mage

  13. #99913

    Default

    [QUOTE=Tami;3724881]How about setting up an immigration system that works, one that works so well that people can be in the country and not be so afraid that they feel the need to lie about it. A system where everyone can get some kind of legal status, even if they aren't Citizens.

    People lie because they are terrified. Not because they are criminals.[/QUOTE]
    Is always confused.....

    My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

    My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

  14. #99914
    Really Feeling It! Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The Trump administration's lawsuit to end protections for pre-existing conditions could also hurt people over who get health insurance through their jobs.

    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/th....ns-protections
    The WSJ is also reporting on this.

    Get Health Coverage at Work? Lawsuit Against ACA Could Affect You, Too
    Tens of millions could see certain provisions unwound by the Trump administration effort

    https://www.wsj.com/articles/get-hea...too-1528924250

    If the courts toss some ACA provisions linked to the insurance-coverage mandate, elements of the requirements that also apply to employer plans would likely be halted or reversed as well, analysts said. In these cases, the provisions would likely revert to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, they said.

    That means employers would again be able to impose lengthy waiting periods for health coverage on new hires. Currently they are unable to lock workers out of health insurance for longer than 90 days when they take a new job.

    Employers could also opt not to cover a new hireís specific health problem, like cancer, for up to a year even if they provide them insurance. That limit would apply if a new hire hadnít previously had coverage or had let it lapse.

    And when smaller companies shop for insurance, they could be charged more to cover their workers if they have a large number of older or sicker people. That can indirectly lead to higher costs for workers who pay a share of their premiums, health analysts said. Those with healthier and younger employees may be charged less.

    More than 13 million people get coverage through small employers.

  15. #99915

    Default

    What is it about the Republican party, that people like King is allowed to be a Representative of People, and people of color, and be a out and out bigot and racist?

    What DRAWS them to the Republicans in general?
    Are there racist Democrats? Probably, but those idiots don't make it very far into office.

    The GOP REWARDS this behavior.

    Republican Rep. Steve King Promotes Well-Known Neo-Nazi On Twitter
    The U.S. congressman retweeted a British racist. King has long signaled support for white nationalists.
    Is always confused.....

    My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

    My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •