Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    Governor still has to sign it
    Is there any indication he won't?

I don't see anything in the articles I found about the Kentucky vote that touch on major obstruction. It seems that everything's on track.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

So while Trump talks about wanting to get kill drug dealers, my senator, Ron Johnson, weighed in on that assessment.

During an interview on CNN, Johnson was asked if he agrees with President Donald Trump’s recent assertion that drug dealers should be executed like they are in China.

“Is that something you agree with?” CNN’s Jim Acosta asked Johnson. “Should we be following China’s lead when it comes to criminal justice?”

Johnson argued that “we should not be following China’s lead” but he wasn’t as sure when it came to the death penalty.

“I’m a supporter of the death penalty, but only in those types of incidences where we absolutely are a 100 percent certain that the person is 100 percent guilty,” the Republican senator opined. “I’m not sure it would be applicable to drug offenses.”
    Soooooooooo weak and noncommittal.

Also, just for s**ts and giggles, a random video of Trump forgetting something.

Extraordinary Member Gray Lensman's Avatar

My own opinion on the death penalty is yes, but for extreme cases only.

Mass killers, absolutely. This includes serial murderers, school shooters and other spree killers.

If you can arrange the deaths of people outside of prison while you are inside of it. In such a case, I'd say one is enough. It's not about justice, it's not about vengeance, but simply the cold math that the only way to protect society from such an individual is by removing any and all chances they might have to repeat the actions. I think that also those with enough hold on followers to arrange others to do the killing for them, especially if there are multiple followers and/or murders (like Charles Manson) should probably be executed.

People who kill (or order) the deaths of trial witnesses. jurors, and judges.

Outside of that, simply life in prison should be enough to both punish and protect society from the overwhelming majority of criminals, even when the crimes are sickening to describe, much less have to go through. Life in prison can be alleviated if exonerating evidence comes to light, but death can't be taken back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Bigotry. The twisted logic is that by getting the government involved by banning child marriages, it would provide a legal leg for the federal government to stand on in forcing them to acknowledge gay marriages.
    Conservatives in America have the most twisted set of ideals around, and all around that silly Bible. I think if Conservatives would put that book aside for a moment and think of their fellow man. They'd be okay. I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    If there was no death, there'd be no religion.
    Is always confused.....

My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

I don't agree with the Death Penalty at all. If it actually served a purpose and stopped people from committing future atrocities then fine. But as it stands it's basically a Minimum 25 year sentence, and you sit and rot with no chance of getting out of jail. While we pay for it.

Conservatives mainly like it because they favour retributive acts as a whole. But even Liberals like it to seem strong on crime or they favour it also.
    Is always confused.....

My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Conservatives in America have the most twisted set of ideals around, and all around that silly Bible. I think if Conservatives would put that book aside for a moment and think of their fellow man. They'd be okay. I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    I don't know know what Bible they are reading, because I have my grandfather's bible (he was a Pentecostal pastor) and I can't find the stuff evangelical conservatives are talking about in it anywhere. I have my grandmother's as well and I think it says the same stuff his does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Is there any indication he won't?

I don't see anything in the articles I found about the Kentucky vote that touch on major obstruction. It seems that everything's on track.
    Apparently Tennessee is going through the exact same discussion at the moment, and it's going less well there, so the pessimism is understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Apparently Tennessee is going through the exact same discussion at the moment, and it's going less well there, so the pessimism is understandable.
    Now I'm wondering if I was thinking of Tennessee with my previous response.

oh WBE-eeeeee...

https://amp.thedailybeast.com/peter-....co/u0o8y9th8T

Peter Boykin, the founder of the right-wing activist group “Gays for Trump” who is running for the North Carolina House of Representatives, believes transgender troops “would be our weakest link.”

Speaking to The Daily Beast, Boykin said he believed that transgender soldiers are “mentally challenged” and too expensive for the military

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Peter Boykin, the founder of the right-wing activist group “Gays for Trump” who is running for the North Carolina House of Representatives, believes transgender troops “would be our weakest link.”

Speaking to The Daily Beast, Boykin said he believed that transgender soldiers are “mentally challenged” and too expensive for the military
    Peter seems to have misspelled F-35. Easy mistake...

Too expensive for the military!? They just passed a seven hundred BILLION dollar defense spending bill!
    There is NOTHING too expensive for the military!

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Christ, here we go again with this ass. I think he thinks there is no such thing as a transgendered person.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Something of interest Illinois has a proposition to legalize the sale and growing of recreational marijuana. Wonder if it will pass and if that is going to piss off our conservative neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Something of interest Illinois has a proposition to legalize the sale and growing of recreational marijuana. Wonder if it will pass and if that is going to piss off our conservative neighbors.
    I can't answer the first but the answer to the second is not just yes, but Hell Yes. Expect a lawsuit (or at least threats of one) that basically says 'State's Rights' are for conservatives only.

That, more than anything else, is why I am no longer a registered Republican. Hypocrisy has stopped being something to hide and has instead become a badge of honor for my former party.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Well, that probably is the origin of religion. Comfort for the living when a loved one dies. "He's in a better place now." But that alone isn't enough. You have to have a whole book describing that "better place."