Bernie Sanders Will Open the Women’s Convention and Some People Aren't Happy

The Women’s March on January 21 was possibly the largest single-day demonstration in U.S. history, with up to 5.25 million people taking part across the country. The movement is seeking to build on that legacy by hosting its maiden convention in Detroit later in October.

But the choice of Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders as the lead speaker at the convention has sparked criticism from commentators, who suggested that a woman should have opened the event.

The participation of Sanders—who unsuccessfully challenged Hillary Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2016—was confirmed by the Women’s March on Thursday. Sanders is due to deliver the opening night address of the three-day conference on October 27.
    Tamika Mallory, one of the co-founders of the Women’s March, told the Free Press that Sanders was “probably one of the most powerful U.S. senators” on the progressive issues that the Women’s March movement stands for.

“He really is in line with the principles of the Women’s March,” said Mallory.
    But the news provoked some negative reactions on social media. Many commentators pointed out that the symbolism of a white man opening the conference—the first national women’s convention in 40 years—undermined the goals of the Women’s March.
    While Sanders has said he is “very proud” of his voting record on women’s issues, Clinton accused him of sexism on several occasions during the Democratic primary campaign.

At a 2015 Democratic debate hosted by CNN, Sanders said: “As a senator from a rural state, what I can tell Secretary Clinton, that all the shouting in the world is not going to do what I would hope all of us want, and that is keep guns out of the hands of people who should not have those guns and end this horrible violence that we are seeing.”

Clinton later responded to Sanders’s statement, saying: “I've been told to stop, and, I quote, ‘shouting about gun violence.’ Well, first of all, I'm not shouting. It's just, when women talk, some people think we're shouting.” Sanders denied that his comments were sexist.
    This conference is a sham. It's not about women, it's about Bernie Sanders.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    GM of the Rumbler's League - Currently on Extended Hiatus
    Caretaker of Khazan's Cosmic Library
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn and/or imaginatively created.

I work at a hospital so I see plenty of undeserved and frankly, not well off older Caucasians repeatedly pass through. I saw one today sitting in the cafeteria, morbidly obese and even had his stomach exposed while he was sitting, cane in hand, with a Trump hat on with Trump in bold letters. Normally in my head I'd have roasted his ass but today I did feel some way about him. I looked and thought, somebody like Barak Obama, who is highly well spoken and eloquent with smart kids and holding position power- on the surface this guy might not feel he has a whole lot in common with someone like that.

Also a point never far away from my thinking is that, in this county white people in power have ALWAYS played poorer uneducated white people for everything they can. They are the largest group and most often they are the most easily misled and used to prop up the powerful. That's not to say they should be given a pass for slights or them being uncivil but black people throughout history are so much more leery of what those in power tell people with none. Long story short, ironically Charlamagne interviewed Van Jones earlier unbeknownst to me and before that, Van Jones was just a shucker and jiver for his comment about Trump having his 'Presidential moment' he made earlier this year. He made some serious poignant points about addressing this Presidency. Glaring of all that Black people have had to lead or having had the civility of the country come through them. He reiterated Michelle Obama that we can't stoop to the level that the President wants and needs us to go. Not a long interview and I don't really rock with CNN like that so maybe Jones explains himself routinely but it's kind of eye opening fwiw.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Bernie Sanders Will Open the Women’s Convention and Some People Aren't Happy

Bernie is always making things about himself, I wish he wasn't the darling of internet liberals. I wish he'd just go back to vermont and stay there, him and his confounded fans.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    This goes back to my argument about how Mets felt it was "unnecessary" for Trump to criticize Neo-Nazis.

Hey Mets, could we at least start with Trump not PRAISING THEM?
    There are several problems here.

You're calling me out for my comments on an article posted since the last time I said anything on this board.

And while Jeffrey Lord deserved to get fired, he wasn't a Neo-Nazi. His comment was meant to be a mockery of someone he felt was using fascist tactics.

I'm sure there's enough to criticize President Trump om without getting the facts wrong. Better luck next time.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    As was pointed out before: You choose to remain a Republican after it's become Trump's fascist party. You own him He is your boy.
    As a Republican, I would be better able to vote against him before November 2020.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Bernie is always making things about himself, I wish he wasn't the darling of internet liberals. I wish he'd just go back to vermont and stay there, him and his confounded fans.
    Hillary made it all about her herself. The Dem leadership in Congress and around the nation make it all about themselves, preserving their power to the bitter end.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That he's seemingly deadset on handing the election to the Republicans on a silver platter by splitting the vote.
    I stand by my very first gut reaction when I found out a guy by name of Bernie Sanders existed back in March last year.

I think I may have even been too optimistic.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Sanders is from the old left (where class identity is all that matters), the modern ideas of gender and identity politics is alien to many of them since many of them still believe those are creations of elites used to divide the working class.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 10-12-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There are several problems here.
    The problem I'm having is I've seen someone spend days on end arguing about the futility of criticizing white supremacists and white nationalists, and defending the honor of people who post Hitler salutes on social media, even getting into the semantics of if they're a Neo Nazi or just a white nationalist like Jeffrey ord. They're arguing how it's a waste of energy to criticize these people, but it's not a waste of energy for the president to also defend them.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    Are you trying to bait Mets, paul?
    No.
    Just calling him on his bullshit that he can both be a Republican and somehow not have the stink of Trump all over him.

It's not bait. Just a healthy dose of truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Charles Murray may or may not have white nationalist views but the bell curve remains junk science.
    It's fair to criticize Murray on the science. But once reasonable people can disagree with the label the SPLC puts on him, it diminishes the value of their labels.

Once upon a time, Republicans like George H.W. Bush would criticize white supremacists like David Duke as easily as anyone should.

As opposed to what you're doing, which is arguing why you and your fellow Republicans should be craven and not bother.

Quite inspiring, Mets.
    At the time, David Duke was a candidate for statewide office, and made the runoff for Senate in 1990 and Governor in 1991.

When he tried again in 2016's Senate race he got seventh place with three percent, so his significance and the threat he poses have diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    They bleed together for me, and I lump racists and homophobes together and sometimes use one as a catchall for both, sometimes I use the other, sometimes, I use bigot. Why? Because they are the same fight: injustice perpetrated against a minority by a majority for no reason other than an inborn, immutable thing.

THEY
    ARE
    THE
    SAME
    FIGHT.

We just fight it on different fronts, is all. It really is VERY simple. You either stand against injustice, no matter who is the target, or you stand for injustice as long as it doesn't inconvenience you. Which do you want to be?
    I don't think people who stand against injustice are helped by mixing definitions. It makes it harder for people who are just becoming informed of the extent of various problems to take their side seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    No, it was social backlash from middle America for minorities daring to want equal footing

it was from an ignorant base that thinks "attitude" equals "leadership"
    And it led to a ticket with two white people losing to a ticket with two white people.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    A post I made in June about PR being a state:
    If they're worried about that, could they set the process so that Puerto Rico joins after the 2020 census. That way, its representatives wouldn't take away congressional seats in such a predictable and immediate way.

For example, the House of Representatives was temporarily increased in size with the 1958 elections so that Hawaii and Alaska could have Congressional members. It went back to 435 with the first Congress following the next reapportionment.

The problem I'm having is I've seen someone spend days on end arguing about the futility of criticizing white supremacists and white nationalists, and defending the honor of people who post Hitler salutes on social media, even getting into the semantics of if they're a Neo Nazi or just a white nationalist like Jeffrey ord. They're arguing how it's a waste of energy to criticize these people, but it's not a waste of energy for the president to also defend them.
    Do you think Jeffrey Lord is a Neonazi? If he isn't, you were wrong about something in an obnoxious way.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Do you think Jeffrey Lord is a Neonazi? If he isn't, you were wrong about something in an obnoxious way.
    He's a white nationalist who has made Hitler salutes on social media. Is that now a permissible quality in your book that shouldn't also warrant criticism?

And ask yourself, why are you DEFENDING that?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    No.
    Just calling him on his bullshit that he can both be a Republican and somehow not have the stink of Trump all over him.
    I'd settle for Mets not acting like Trump by spending more energy defending White Nationalists, White Supremacists, and Neo-Nazis than criticizing them, at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    No, it was social backlash from middle America for minorities daring to want equal footing

it was from an ignorant base that thinks "attitude" equals "leadership"
    And it led to a ticket with two white people losing to a ticket with two white people.
    Let's get real about something for a second...

- First off, HRC absolutely had capable folks from a minority background she could have selected for her VP. She chose not to.

- Second, HRC just shrugged of a pair of minority women who took her to task during the primary and general.

Hey, WBE. Do you have Dennis Baxley in the queue? Because he seems like a real charmer.

TALLAHASSEE --*A Republican state senator is suggesting that a South Florida nursing home may not be to blame for 14 deaths that occurred in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma, CBS Miami reports.
    Sen. Dennis Baxley, R-Ocala, who is also a funeral director, said Wednesday he isn't convinced that all 14 deaths now associated with The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills stemmed from sweltering heat that filled the nursing home after it lost power following the powerful storm.
    "Look at the population. You're dealing with the 90-somethings. Some of these deaths would naturally occur, storm or no storm," Baxley said Wednesday at the Senate Health and Human Services Appropriations Subcommittee, adding "eventually everyone who was in that nursing home will die. But we don't need to attribute those all to the storm and bad policy."
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida...-wake-of-irma/

And then there's this:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...512-story.html

State Sen. Dennis Baxley, descendant of a Confederate soldier and defender of the Confederate flag, used his power as chairman of a committee during the recent legislative session to kill a monument recognizing the contribution of slaves to settling Florida.
    The Ocala Republican came up with some circular babble about not wanting to memorialize slavery, which he claimed the monument would do because the bill’s title was “Florida Slavery Memorial,” according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Sentinel’s sister paper. Obviously, the statue wasn’t meant to honor a horrific institution abolished generations ago.
    The bill clearly stated that the purpose was to recognize the part slaves played in settling this steamy, wild land and to acknowledge the inhumanity of their treatment while doing so.
    Initially, Baxley, who represents Sumter County and chunks of Lake and Marion, said he didn't want to “celebrate defeat.” Asked about the remark by the newspaper, he explained that he chose the wrong word. He meant to say he didn’t want to celebrate “adversity.” He was honest the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    MAGA = Morons Are Governing America.
    Stolen.
    10chars
    Is always confused.....

My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/