Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    And thus the "Don't let this distract" post which you chose to reply to by saying there is a Distraction. If it's such a nothingburger then stop talking about it and talk about things that matter.

aka Don't let this distraction distract you.
    You're talking about it like it exists in some sort of a vacuum where it isn't sitting around for Trump and the GOP to fall back on when something substantial happens in relation to any of those things that matter.

That is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong since i dont know too much on american laws but i read this: "didn't formally rule on the constitutionality of Trump's order itself."

Shouldn`t the lawyer take in consideration if the order is constitutional or not instead of something that Trump said?
    Americans are known for rolling the dice.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Oh, Trump has decided to comment on this ruling, calling it a "unprecedented judicial overreach". Ah-huh.

Then there's Spicer...

this idea of comparing it to Obamacare is a false choice

Then there's this guy...

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) said Tuesday that if Democrats don't like a House bill to repeal and replace ObamaCare, they should offer their own legislation.

"if you don't like this proposal, then what's your suggestion? What's your suggestion?" he asked during a weekly Senate GOP leadership news conference.

"I'm sensing that they're just sitting back on their hands and taking great glee, great joy, out of seeing this market place of their creation melting down and people being left high and dry," he added.

Democrats have skewered a House bill that would dismantle core provisions of ObamaCare, including the Medicaid expansion, and put in place a new tax credit to help people buy insurance.

A growing number of GOP senators is raising concerns over the bill after the Congressional Budget Office predicted that under the legislation 14 million additional people would become uninsured by 2018, with that number growing to 24 million by 2026.

But top Senate Republicans continued to defend the House bill on Tuesday, arguing it's currently the only path to repealing and replacing ObamaCare and is open to changes.

Cornyn on Tuesday referred to Republicans as a "rescue team" that is trying to improve the insurance market.

"If [Democrats] don't like what has been proposed by the House, then we invite them to join us as we solve the problem," he added.
    They did you idiot!
    Opinions may vary in quality.

Current Manga Reviews: Twin Star Exorcists Vol. 3, Library Wars Vol. 15 and Inuyashiki Vol. 3

Snake eyes vs Stormshadow Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

This Trump interview on Tucker Carlson tonight is fascinating.

On the wiretapping accusation: "You're going to see something soon. I intend to prove it very soon. I choose not to do so right now, but you're going to hear something soon."

On healthcare reform: "Yeah, there are some things, it's, it's, I think we're in a negotiation. If we had 60 votes we could go back and take a look at things, but no democrat is going to vote for us. If we had 60 votes we could go back and make adjustments. I think they're doing a real disservice."

On his tax form. "I've been complaining about it for years. I'm not happy about it. I've been complaining for years, I'm paying less than my fair share. Less than what's fair, and we need to take a look at that. We need to take a look at that, and let me say this: (some rambling tangent about the unfair tax system.)

Oh, he just made another claim that Sweden is suffering under the weight of immigration.

On the Press: He's going on about how great The Apprentice was again. Now, he's the biggest reality television star of all time. Now he's complaining about press coverage of his state of the union address, saying the press ruined its impact intentionally. It wasn't his stupid tweeting. "You look at some of the stories in the New york times, CNN, the Washington post, no matter how great it is, they won't report it fairly. Tweeter (his word) is a wonderful thing for me." Lots of tangents about how full of hatred and dishonest the media is.
    I didn’t stand a chance. This girl had a grin like a razor,
    and the confidence of a shark in a swimming lane.
    If she said to jump, I’d ask how high? And how far to fall?
    It wasn’t because she was pretty; it was because she was a killer.
    And you just can’t say no to a killer.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Americans are known for rolling the dice.
    It seems to me more like a commentary on Trump than the order itself tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You're talking about it like it exists in some sort of a vacuum where it isn't sitting around for Trump and the GOP to fall back on when something substantial happens in relation to any of those things that matter.

That is not the case.
    I am talking about it only in the context that it should not be allowed to distract from actual issues. Unless you disagree with that sentiment then there is no reason to continue posting about it except to say that it was a fuckup and move on when/if it continues to be brought up. Because if you continue to bring it up then it'll be clear it's in the context of distracting from actual issues and not something else regardless of protestations to the contrary.

Correct me if I am wrong since i dont know too much on american laws but i read this: "didn't formally rule on the constitutionality of Trump's order itself."

Shouldn`t the lawyer take in consideration if the order is constitutional or not instead of something that Trump said?
    The Supreme Court will rule on that. The lower just have to reject on merit. The Constitutional merit was the main reason Trump did not pursue the Supreme Court because at best he'd get a 4-4 tie and based on past voting, he was staring at 5-3. So he was gonna lose.

If he wants it legal, he's gonna need a Congressional law or Congressionally approved war with said countries (like FDR had).
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The Supreme Court will rule on that. The lower just have to reject on merit. The Constitutional merit was the main reason Trump did not pursue the Supreme Court because at best he'd get a 4-4 tie and based on past voting, he was staring at 5-3. So he was gonna lose.

If he wants it legal, he's gonna need a Congressional law or Congressionally approved war with said countries (like FDR had).
    All right thanks for explaining to me runner, still i will start searching more about the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    So now it's the Democrats fault that the GOP morons couldn't come up with a decent alternative.
    I kind of saw that coming.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread

"Hell is other people."

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Cthulhu's Accountant Shining Trapezohedron's Avatar

A Republican congressman from Texas is caught in a firestorm after he told a constituent to “shut up.”

Rep. Joe Barton (R-Tex.) was speaking Saturday at a town hall event in Frost, a small town not far from Arlington, when he said he opposed federal legislation protecting women from violence, because it is a state issue. The crowd erupted over Barton’s remarks, and the moment was captured on video.

“Violence against women — that’s a national issue!” an attendee shouted. “That is an issue that impacts everyone, everywhere — not only in this country but everywhere.”

That comment spurred more loud reactions from the crowd, with one man in particular prompting this from the congressman:
    “You, sir, shut up.”

The crowd responded with a combination of apparent anger and applause, with one attendee screaming: “What is that? You don’t tell anybody to shut up! You work for us!”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f3a1ef16f20e

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Trapezohedron View Post
    Yo ST are the turks protesting in Germany too for what the Dutch did? if i am not wrong your country has 1 million and something turks living there.

Cthulhu's Accountant Shining Trapezohedron's Avatar

Yo ST are the turks protesting in Germany too for what the Dutch did? if i am not wrong your country has 1 million and something turks living there.
    Not currently.

Wouldn't make much headlines anyway.

Right now Rutte winning hard against Wilders is the bigger news.

One win against right-wing populism.

Go Dutch people!

It's interesting how the world turns left in the wake of Trump's win.

The leftwing environmentalists of GreenLeft looked the big winners of the night, as the party was forecast to quadruple its number of MPs to 16. But the social democratic Labour party (PvdA), Rutte’s outgoing coalition partner, was forecast to slump to a historic low of nine seats from 38 in the current parliament.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...dutch-election
    Last edited by Shining Trapezohedron; 03-15-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Original join date: 11/2004
    GM of the Rumbler's League
    Caretaker of Khazan's Cosmic Library

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Trapezohedron View Post
    Not currently.

Wouldn't make much headlines anyway.

Right now Rutte winning hard against Wilders is the bigger news.

One win against right-wing populism.

Go Dutch people!

It's interesting how the world turns left in the wake of Trump's win.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...dutch-election
    If the FVD wins and the PVV get enough seat then they will form a coalition, making Geert Deputy PM

Two years ago on this date, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” posted a profile of Brian Nieves, who upon winning his 2010 primary, threatened one of his opponent's staffers for the egregious offense of congratulating him. He then spent his time belittling his constituents whenever possible, calling some thugs, and haranguing an Anglican priest for not being conservative ENOUGH for his tastes. As a legilsator, Nieves tried to nullify both firearms laws and the Affordable Care Act, and took time on the floor of the Missouri State Senate to downplay waterboarding as "just a little water in the face" and to rail against the fact that the legislature's website offered a Spanish translation. Brian Nieves also has never met a paranoid conspiracy he didn't like, spreading fears about President Obama's birth certificate, the United Nations Agenda 21 Treaty, and a supposed threat from "creeping Sharia Law". The GOP chose to find a more level-headed politician to beat Nieves in the 2014 primaries before he embarrassed them any more, and he has gone on to be a simple county controller, at least for the time being.

One year ago today, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” posted a profile of Annette Bosworth, a candidate for U.S. Senate from South Dakota in the 2014 elections, who was another one of the mold of "Republican doctors who hate the Affordable Care Act" that they have scoured the country to try to use as candidates for office and justify their irrational hatred of healthcare reform with an "expert" on the subject. Nevermind the fact that prior to Bosworth running for office, the South Dakota state attorney general had repeatedly tried stripping her of her medical license, of course. Bosworth was still a long shot as a candidate, coming in as a total outsider, and was polling third behind two mainstream candidates. Her stance on the issues involved an opposition to same sex marriage, wanting to outlaw abortion, repealing the ACA, and revamping the tax code to enact a flat tax. She got attention, and not in a good way, in late April of 2014 after sharing a viral post about food stamps creating dependency, warning against the practice by saying, "Don't feed the animals". A month later, also once held a press conference in a room covered in sexual slurs to decry misogyny she claimed she was enduring as a female politician. She of course, took anonymous criticisms as coming from "hypocritical liberals" and flip the script about the "War on Women" to blame it on Democrats. (No one bought it.) Where her story truly got fascinating was one day after the primary election, when she turned herself into police on charges of perjury and falsifying documents. It seems that Bosworth was told by her key adviser, Joel Arends, that South Dakota's laws about gathering signatures to get on the ballot were more of guidelines, really, and that candidates didn't actually need to be present when the signatures were garnered. Bosworth was found guilty on all counts, but in spite of committing multiple felonies, avoided jail time, getting 500 hours of community service and two years of probation. While Bosworth now has the time to return to practicing medicine, her medical license was revoked for committing a handful of felonies. It seems like her political career has gotten a toe tag at this point, so we'll start profiling a different kooky Republican on this date instead. (Current crazy/stupid scoreboard, is now 564-20, since this was established in July 2014.)

Tila Hubrecht

Welcome to the 564th "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" profile, where the spotlight will be placed on Tila Hubrecht, a member of the Missouri House of Representatives first elected to serve in District 54 back in 2014 with 70% of the vote in a special election, and was allowed to run for re-election in 2016 without any opponent whatsoever. Hubrecht, a former schoolteacher who earned a degree in nursing, quickly became infamous around the country in May of 2016 when she opined during debate in the Missouri state legislature over a Personhood Bill by musing that there is a "silver lining" to pregnancies resulting from rape. And despite massive criticism because of those comments, Hubrecht dug in and refused to apologize for them, making her the latest candidate for the Todd Akin club, as the number of days without a Republican saying something unfortunate about rape was reset to zero. I mean, it’s a little crazy to argue that zygotes should have constitutional rights, but to logically try to prove that by looking on the bright side of rape? AND to not just claim you misspoke on this? That’s just nuts.

This is hardly a one-off for Hubrecht as a pro-life fanatic, though. In her short time as a Missouri state legislator, she has already co-sponsored legislation to attempt to ban the donation of fetal tissue (because Planned Parenthood are harvesting babies, you guys!), and voted against a measure to allow a pharmacist to prescribe oral contraceptives (because birth control is murder, of course).

We wish that was it. Hubrecht, in the interests of being “pro-life” is also extremely “pro-gun”, and has voted to allow school employees to carry firearms on school campuses, as well as voting to allow concealed carry without a permit statewide.

Her conservative voting record also includes votes to cut the amount of time a poor person can remain on welfare, repeated votes for stricter Voter ID measures meant to disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of voters in Missouri, and a doubly unconstitutional bill that would have forced public school children to not only be forced to recite the pledge of allegiance every day, but require that it be performed in ENGLISH. We’re only a couple years into the career of Tila Hubrecht, and frankly, we’re already looking forward to her career coming to a screeching halt. We don’t particularly care how, but it’s pretty clear it’s something that needs to happen.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.