Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Also...
    Ha ha. I love my House Rep. I don't expect this to go anywhere, but actions like this are good for motivating the base. And it's high time Democrats understood that.

Time for you to meet... Sugar Spun Sorceress's Avatar

Orrin Hatch?

"Washington • Sen. Orrin Hatch not only helped create the Violence Against Women Act in 1994, he also led two successful efforts since then to reauthorize the federal government's signature bill to combat domestic abuse.

Not this time.

Hatch, R-Utah, voted against the latest renewal Thursday claiming that Democrats have thrown in controversial items "designed to shatter" its bipartisan support.

"It is inappropriate to use the Violence Against Women Act and the good will that it has attracted as cover for those new and divisive projects," said Hatch, referring to provisions involving immigration, same-sex partners and Native Americans.

Fifteen Republicans did join with Democrats to pass the bill, 68-31 but only after Senate GOP leaders dropped stalling tactics in a move meant to avoid accusations that Republicans are waging a "war on women," a recurring topic on the presidential trail in recent weeks.

The battle will now shift to the House, where majority Republicans are working on a version that they find more appealing, while keeping many of the programs that fund law enforcement programs and abuse counseling.

Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, was among the 31 Senate Republicans who opposed the reauthorization, but his opposition goes far beyond Hatch's complaints. He doesn't think the federal government should play any role in treatment or setting most criminal penalties.

He says the law "oversteps the Constitution's rightful limits on federal power. It interferes with the flexibility states and localities should have in tailoring programs to meet the particular needs in individual communities."

Lee, who joined the Senate in 2011, also argues the reauthorization bill does nothing to reduce the overlap in federal programs meant to tackle this issue.

But Hatch and most Republicans limited their complaints to a few hot-button provisions.

One of these would increase the number of visas available for undocumented immigrants who report abuse. Another is language barring same-sex discrimination in any program receiving federal funds under the act. Also drawing opposition are rules that would give federal courts more control over abuse on some tribal reservations.

"I am truly disappointed that the majority has deliberately politicized this reauthorization legislation," said Hatch, who co-sponsored the original bill in 1994 with Vice President Joe Biden, then a senator from Delaware.

Hatch in recent months has voted against some major legislation he has championed in the past, claiming that Democratic majorities and the Obama administration have made them untenable. He did not support recent versions of the Dream Act, which would create a path to citizenship for some undocumented children, and the Children's Health Insurance Program.
    "

♬♫♪ (((d₍ᐢ--ᐢ₎b))) ♪♫♬

"Inherited simpler ways to make better days
    Striving to pave a steady trail evading the maze
    Tending to exasperate personal space
    That in turn alienates and stagnates the true state
    Of my place in the scheme of things
    In accordance to whatever karma brings
    Face truth even if it do like bee stings
    Financially I'm up and down like moodswings
    Attitude is still footloose and fancy free
    Broaden my horizon roaming the galaxy"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    Santos (president of Colombia) and Trump are talking about Venezuela.

also fun fact, Santos said he was going to talk with Trump about increasing the export of avocados to the U.S, Santos said he was "a little step closer to make the deal"
    But conservatives are opposed to avocado toast.
    Last edited by jeanvaljean; 05-18-2017 at 11:34 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So...

The neo-Nazis folks believe are actually pulling the strings in the current administration have come to the conclusion that an observant Jew heading the FBI is an important piece of master plan?

This is what folks actually think is happening?
    Yes, because it gives their army of Russian bots and internet trolls the chance to defend the administration by posting stuff like:

The neo-Nazis folks believe are actually pulling the strings in the current administration have come to the conclusion that an observant Jew heading the FBI is an important piece of master plan?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So...

Pointing out that the assertion that white supremacists have some sort of master plan to control things from behind the scenes looks a little "Iffy" when you look at the actual reality is a "Defense".

You cats crack me up sometimes. "You are pointing out actual reality. How dare you defend the guy like that?"

Yeah, the nerve.
    Neo Nazi and well known Islamophobe Stephen Miller is writing Trump's speech about Islam that Donald will deliver in Saudi Arabia.

Your attempts to polish this turd of an administration fail.

It is reportedly being written by Senior Policy Adviser Stephen Miller, who has a record of Muslim-baiting as long as your arm. He is the close White House ally of former Breitbart executive Stephen Bannon and former Breitbart writer Julia Hahn, two people who appear to believe Muslim refugees are an existential threat to America. Miller did not let his lack of legal training get in the way of drafting the Trump travel-ban order that caused horrific chaos before being stopped by the courts. His own casual words identifying the travel ban with Trump’s call for an unconstitutional “Muslim ban” during the campaign became a central part of the rationale for said judicial intervention.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8c47e4e02bc7

Aaron Josefczyk/Reuters)
    Controversial Milwaukee County (Wis.) Sheriff David Clarke says he is joining the Department of Homeland Security*to head up the*Office of Partnership and Engagement. That agency oversees partnerships and cooperation with local law enforcement agencies. It’s responsible for coordinating a number of anti-terrorism initiatives between local, state and federal law enforcement, as well as forging partnerships with academia and the private sector.
    DHS has said that “such senior positions are announced by the department when made official by the secretary. No such announcement with regard to the Office of Public Engagement has been made.” But President Trump has been rumored to be considering Clarke for a DHS position for months. He had even been mentioned to possibly run the agency.
    The position is something of a bailout for Clarke, who faced long odds to be reelected sheriff. If true, it would also be a*rather reckless move, even for the Trump administration. Clarke is currently the subject of a number of lawsuits alleging abuse and neglect at his jail and has recently made headlines by detaining an*airline passenger, allegedly for shaking his head at Clarke (he later threatened the man on Facebook). He also recently boasted he would grab Democrats by the throat.
    Read the whole thing. Clarke really is a monster.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

So has anyone brought up Lieberman's conflict of interest? Trump is a long time client of the law firm that Lieberman works for.

Since leaving office, Lieberman, a former Connecticut attorney general, has taken a post as senior counsel at the New York-based law firm Kasowitz Benson Torres Friedman LLP.

The firm has for more than a decade been representing a prominent client in high-profile lawsuits—one Donald J. Trump.

That alone should disqualify Lieberman as FBI director, argued David Rosen, a prominent New Haven civil rights attorney who has also taught a course at Yale Law School on professional responsibility.

Doesn't anyone on Trump's staff know anything about government and ethics?

This is pretty clever. Ivanka and her book get trolled by a customer at a Barnes & Nobles
    Notice the books the customer placed around Ivanka's book on the display.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-19-2017 at 01:23 AM.
    Doctor Doom Appreciation Thread at CBR Forums
    My old SuperHero Squad name: Steel Divine Duke

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Donald Trump Says Special Counsel Appointment ‘Hurts Our Country Terribly’

“It also happens to be a pure excuse for the Democrats having lost an election.” Try again, Donnie. The special counsel appointment hurts YOU terribly.

Why Is Donald Trump Sticking By Michael Flynn?

The president has dismissed his ties to Paul Manafort and Carter Page. So why is he supporting the national security adviser he fired? Because he's too damn stupid to know any better? That's my guess.

‘Art Of The Deal’ Co-Author: Trump Will Resign, Then Declare Victory

Tony Schwartz says Trump is in “pure terror” that he’s going to lose. Good to know. I enjoy Spray Tan Don having to squirm.

The ‘I’m Really Smart’ President Faces Crises Of Ignorance

Trump’s defenders now argue he shouldn’t be blamed for his mistakes because he doesn’t know any better. So, in other words, Trump's fans say he's a moron. I'm down with that.

Trump’s Response To Disaster Relief Raises Alarms

Concern mounts as hurricane and wildfire season nears. Be careful, folks, if you need disaster relief from this White House, prepare to be screwed like a five dollar whore. For instance....

After last fall’s devastating Hurricane Matthew, Donald Trump’s presidential campaign headed to North Carolina towns ravaged by the disaster with around $29,000 worth of emergency supplies in tow.

Last week, North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper (D) heard back from President Trump on his request for $929 million in aid to help with unmet hurricane recovery costs. Cooper sought funding mainly through the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Community Development Block Grant program.

Cooper expressed “shock and disappointment’’ over the federal response.

The Trump administration had denied more than 99 percent of the aid Cooper sought, providing the state a mere $6.1 million. The governor, working with his state’s congressional delegation ― including Republican Sen. Thom Tillis ― had estimated nearly $700 million needed to meet housing needs, more than $170 million to assist farmers, repair public facilities and provide health services to storm survivors, and $39 million to help close to 700 small businesses.
    “Families displaced by the storm remain in hotels, due in part to a lack of rental and low-income housing,’’ Cooper said.

But under Trump’s budget blueprint, funding for long-term disaster relief programs would be slashed. HUD, which steps in after the Federal Emergency Management Agency to help with long-term rebuilding, would see its funding cut by $6.2 billion, a 13 percent decrease. The HUD block grant program through which Cooper had requested much of his desired funding would have its $3 billion budget eliminated entirely.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    This is pretty clever. Ivanka and her book get trolled by a customer at a Barnes & Nobles
    Notice the books the customer placed around Ivanka's book on the display.
    That's quite clever.

BANNED

Sweden just dropped the rape charges against Assange.

Trump’s bodyguard reveals Mattis’ phone number

When President Trump’s bodyguard revealed Jim Mattis’s private cellphone number

This is what happens when you misuse Post-its.

We got a call Friday from a reader named Paul Redmond that The Post had accidentally published Defense Secretary Jim Mattis’s private cell phone number.
    A story about President Trump’s bodyguard Keith Schiller, Redmond said, was accompanied by a photograph of the two of them walking on White House grounds. The bodyguard was holding a stack of papers, and, according to the caller, on the outside of those papers was a yellow sticky note that said “Jim, Mad Dog, Mattis” and had a phone number.
    This of course sounds impossible. Way more care than that is taken around the president, right? The Secret Service is good at secrecy, generally. So I thanked the guy for the call and dubiously pulled up the photo in question. With the monitor turned 90 degrees and the photo blown up, indeed, I could make out a number and what might be “Jim, Mad Dog, Mattis,” if you have better eyesight than mine even when I squint.

I called. I got the voice mail. It was him.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    GM of the Rumbler's League - Currently on Extended Hiatus
    Caretaker of Khazan's Cosmic Library
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn and/or imaginatively created.

Invincible Member TheInvisibleMan's Avatar

quick side note

the HBO movie about Bernie Madoff starring Robert DeNiro premieres soon

his widow, Ruth lives here in CT - down in Fairfield County where most of the well off live in CT, she got some money in a settlement and I assume Bernie Madoff had good sized life insurance policy
    “If you listen to the fans, you’ll find yourself sitting with them”

- Joe Kuharich

Twitter is glitching like crazy today. I hope it's not a hack or something.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    GM of the Rumbler's League - Currently on Extended Hiatus
    Caretaker of Khazan's Cosmic Library
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn and/or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Twitter is glitching like crazy today. I hope it's not a hack or something.
    Maybe the failing so-called President ate a bad burrito and needs something to do while he's up in the middle of the night?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Trump’s first foreign trip a test of what he’s learned, or not, about national security

This is just a guess, mind you, but I suspect Marmalade Monkey hasn't learned a damn thing and will be just as big an embarrassment on the road as he is here at home. I fear it's not at matter of if Trump screws up, but how many times that happens.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!