Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    quick side note

the HBO movie about Bernie Madoff starring Robert DeNiro premieres soon

his widow, Ruth lives here in CT - down in Fairfield County where most of the well off live in CT, she got some money in a settlement and I assume Bernie Madoff had good sized life insurance policy
    There was just one on network TV with Richard Dreyfus last year too but I didn't watch that one.

I read the news accounts of it years back and it's amazing how many people were taken in. One female reporter at Barron's named Erin E. Arvedlund became suspicious and wrote an article back on 2001. She asked around Wall Street to find out how his fund always claimed to have a profit every year and wanted to know what was he investing in. No one could remember doing any business with him.

As someone who questioned Madoff's returns back in 2001 for Barron's, I was moved by a scene in which Markopolos accepts an award from his fellow fraud investigators. After the stage lights dim, he weeps. His lament: If only I had done more, sooner.

AFTER MY 2001 STORY RAN, I often thought I had been wrong—or worse, crazy. Now, I look back and wish I had written more about Madoff; my original source, Ken Nakayama, then head of equity derivatives strategy at Deutsche Bank, also marveled at regulators' silence after my article appeared. But then, if the world didn't believe a fraud expert like Harry Markopolos, whom would it believe?
    The she mentions in a 2011 documentary called Chasing Madoff. She wrote an article about Madoff in 2001 which is still on Barron's website.

One thing sure seems to be at the heart of it. If it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-19-2017 at 06:59 AM.
    Doctor Doom Appreciation Thread at CBR Forums
    My old SuperHero Squad name: Steel Divine Duke

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    But conservatives are opposed to avocado toast.
    I oppose avocado toast, just add salt and eat, adding toast just make it worse i dont know where that trend came from, blew.

Snake eyes vs Stormshadow Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Maybe the failing so-called President ate a bad burrito and needs something to do while he's up in the middle of the night?
    Still using his outdated, unsecured cell phone, no doubt. "Why does this thing always play the Tetris music? I don't have Tetris on this phone."

Why, indeed, Donald. Why, indeed.
    I didn’t stand a chance. This girl had a grin like a razor,
    and the confidence of a shark in a swimming lane.
    If she said to jump, I’d ask how high? And how far to fall?
    It wasn’t because she was pretty; it was because she was a killer.
    And you just can’t say no to a killer.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Still using his outdated, unsecured cell phone, no doubt. "Why does this thing always play the Tetris music? I don't have Tetris on this phone."

Why, indeed, Donald. Why, indeed.
    You mean to tell me Barron still hasn't fixed the internet yet? Didn't Trump say his kid was a whiz when it came to computers and stuff?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8c47e4e02bc7

Read the whole thing. Clarke really is a monster.
    He;s an authoritarian who pleases the racists

https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/s...71158862811136

The Russians are basically admitting they were connected to WikiLeaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    He;s an authoritarian who pleases the racists
    I really didn't know who this Sheriff Clarke guy was until I was reading this thread over a year ago. Then I'd happen to catch an appearance on TV here and there. How in the world does this maniac stay in office?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I really didn't know who this Sheriff Clarke guy was until I was reading this thread over a year ago. Then I'd happen to catch an appearance on TV here and there. How in the world does this maniac stay in office?
    He's a fame oriented black right winger. Places like fox news love him and promote him instead of actual black conservatives. he says what they want to hear

Here is a write up about some of these instances

http://blackconservative360.blogspot...ellectual.html

https://www.apnews.com/417c7e00c0274...um=AP_Politics

Trump's attorneys didn't want him to sign his financial disclosure forms.
    Last edited by Gryphon; 05-19-2017 at 08:48 AM.

The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    I oppose avocado toast, just add salt and eat, adding toast just make it worse i dont know where that trend came from, blew.
    Avocado goes great with almost anything. There's even avocado ice-cream (which I haven't had, but that wouldn't disqualify it).

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    You mean to tell me Barron still hasn't fixed the internet yet? Didn't Trump say his kid was a whiz when it came to computers and stuff?
    If you're completely ignorant when it comes to computers, and your 11 year old son knows how to change the screen saver, you're going to think he's a whiz when it comes to computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    He's a fame oriented black right winger. Places like fox news love him and promote him instead of actual black conservatives. he says what they want to hear

Here is a write up about some of these instances

http://blackconservative360.blogspot...ellectual.html
    That was interesting. I think I've seen one of those guys on Fox.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Tips for Leaders Meeting Trump: Keep It Short and Give Him a Win

After four months of interactions between Mr. Trump and his counterparts, foreign officials and their Washington consultants say certain rules have emerged: Keep it short — no 30-minute monologue for a 30-second attention span. Do not assume he knows the history of the country or its major points of contention. Compliment him on his Electoral College victory. Contrast him favorably with President Barack Obama. Do not get hung up on whatever was said during the campaign. Stay in regular touch. Do not go in with a shopping list but bring some sort of deal he can call a victory.

“If you were prepping people for Donald Trump, the two or three points would be: one, bear in mind this is still a guy who focuses on wins,” Peter Westmacott, a former British ambassador to the United States, said. “He likes to have wins for America and wins for himself from bilateral meetings.”

“Secondly,” he continued, “he is a deal maker, a pragmatist. Third, this is a guy with a limited attention span. He absolutely won’t want to listen to visitors droning on for a half-hour — or longer if they need an interpreter.”
    Basically, foreign leaders have to bend over backwards to accommodate our presidential man baby---on THEIR turf no less---so he's comfy, content and happy while in meetings. Stroke his ego, kiss his orange ass, don't let him get bored if people talk for longer than five minutes, yadda, yadda, yadda. That, my friends, is pathetic. Maybe I'm being a glass half empty kinda guy on the matter, but I can't see this trip ending without Trump causing some sort of embarrassing incident during his trip. Making an ass of himself is what he does.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member TheInvisibleMan's Avatar

agreed WPP

this is some handling toddlers guide BS
    “If you listen to the fans, you’ll find yourself sitting with them”

- Joe Kuharich

In both 2015, as well as 2016, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published profiles of Paul Wieland, a front-line soldier in the GOP’s “War on Women” that since taking office in 2010, has gone out of his way to try and find ways to undermine the Affordable Care Act, particularly that medical insurance policies can often cover the cost of contraceptive coverage for women. He personally filed a lawsuit against the federal government in 2013 to make sure that he, a good Catholic, wasn’t paying for any potential contraceptives for his daughter on his insurance plan, referring to birth control pills as “abortion inducing drugs” that were “intrinsically evil”. The courts dismissed Wieland’s case as frivolous, not realizing his stunt would do little to deter him. After the Burwell v. Hobby Lobby ruling, Wieland immediately filed another lawsuit against the government, which also got laughed out of court. Paul Wieland also files dimwitted legislation to prevent the implantation of Sharia Law in Missouri, or to prevent the sinister United Nations Agenda 21 treaty. Heck, he’s even voted for efforts to nullify federal firearms laws, drug test welfare recipients, stricter Voter ID laws (to combat the statistically non-existent problem of in-person voter fraud), ag-gag laws to prevent any oversight against livestock farmers, and voted for SJR 39, a special little bill to prohibit any state employee from being penalized for declining to participate in same-sex marriage ceremonies.

In November of 2015, after a series of highly publicized racist incidents at the University of Missouri that school president Tim Wolfe refused to act upon, and in some instances, Wolfe himself dug the hole deeper by chastising protesters, the Missouri Tigers Football Team threatened to boycott games unless Wolfe was fired. Wolfe resigned, and it seemed like that was that. Except, it wasn’t for Paul Wieland, who just couldn’t stomach any kind of improvement in race relations, apparently, on those terms, and needed to go after someone as retribution, choosing Gary Pinkel, the now former head coach of the team, who approved of his players’ choice. Here’s where it gets more grotesque… Coach Pinkel had resigned to seek treatment for lymphoma, and the university had bought out the remainder of his contract so he could do so and for his fifteen year loyal tenure in turning around the football team, they also offered him a job as an ambassador of the athletic department. Well, in true “smaller government” interests, Wieland began to publicly criticize the school for these moves, apparently finding less of a problem with a school president who created an environment of permissive racism to a beloved coach for supporting his players through a hard decision.

Wieland is currently locking horns with new Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens, feeling as though the governor was trying to bully and insult his way into getting what he wants from state legislators (and we covered Greitens' anger issues in our profile of him). Mind you, Wieland did just vote for himself to get a pay raise, and Greitens was shaming him to his own constituents. With any luck, they'll destroy each other Wieland will be pursuing a second term in office here in 2018. Here's hoping that the widely-predicted Blue Wave coming in the mid-terms sweeps him away, as well. We'll see if having Gov. Greitens malign him on social media manages to help jettison him from office.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.