Page 4776 of 4776 FirstFirst ... 3776427646764726476647724773477447754776
Results 71,626 to 71,629 of 71629

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    People are not machines, they don't break down, they die. This isn't about rolling up to the pump and topping off the tank, this is about cancer. Every day people die from things that should be diagnosable, but nobody goes in for checkups. And it's for the same reason they they don't go to the doctor when they have major problems as well, they have no money. Your analogy doesn't work.
    There seem to be the assumption here that everyone who doesn't have health insurance lacks it because they don't have the money. That's not always the case, and the solution for that problem is going to be different.

As for preventative care, the evidence is that it's not as effective as advertised. For example, it's not clear that annual physicals lower the risk of serious illness or premature death.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-pr...90S05M20130129

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Less people will have health insurance, which will lead to insurance being more expensive for everyone else, which will lead to an even lower number of people having health insurance.

This is unconscionable.
    There are drawbacks to removing the penalties for not being insured, but it's a different discussion than one about people getting kicked off the health insurance rolls. In this case, millions are opting to leave, partly because health insurance isn't as good a deal for them (they are essentially subsidizing sicker and older people rather than protecting themselves from financial loss.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There seem to be the assumption here that everyone who doesn't have health insurance lacks it because they don't have the money. That's not always the case, and the solution for that problem is going to be different.
    I personally never made such a statement, I simply questioned your assertion that the majority of the people who would be losing coverage were ones that were doing it voluntarily because they just had it to avoid paying a (It's noticeably cheaper than the health insurance) penalty. The article you provided says most, but that's not a quote from the CBO that's an assertion of the writer.

Just to clarify a bit: I don't believe that there aren't folks that are paying for coverage to avoid the penalty, figuring it's better to pay for getting something rather than paying for not getting something. I just don't think there are THAT many (8+ million to be a majority of 14 million lost in 2018)

If you don't have any money, then you probably qualify for Medicaid. The people without insurance are people who make just enough to no longer qualify for Medicaid, but not enough to afford any private plan. That's why we need single payer.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    If you don't have any money, then you probably qualify for Medicaid. The people without insurance are people who make just enough to no longer qualify for Medicaid, but not enough to afford any private plan. That's why we need single payer.
    I may sound like a Republican *shudder* for saying this but the one this I worry about regarding Single Payer is the possible loss of jobs and the possible hit on the economy. Insurance companies hire lots of people. so I wonder how many of them would lose their jobs if the country went full on Single Payer?

I just think that major changes need to be done one step at a time with careful consideration and evaluation.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    GM of the Rumbler's League - Currently on Extended Hiatus
    Caretaker of Khazan's Cosmic Library
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn and/or imaginatively created.