1. #90661
    Ultimate Member TheInvisibleMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    12,727

    Default

    its why career workers in DC are leaving, its why they can't find replacements

    working for this administration will negatively affect your future
    ďIf you listen to the fans, youíll find yourself sitting with themĒ

    - Joe Kuharich

  2. #90662
    Sans Pants ChadH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    1,227

    Default

    Fearing a Democratic wave in 2018, the Koch Bros and their network of super rich a-holes pledge to spend over $400,000,000 to protect Republican majorities in Congress.

    The Koch network, meeting for its annual winter donor conference near Palm Springs, Calif., said the investment would also focus on promoting conservative policies and was equal to a 60 percent increase over what it spent in the 2016 presidential election. The campaign was set to include a $20 million expenditure to promote the Republican tax overhaul passed and signed into law late last year.
    Because why would they want to donate that money to improve the lives of the poor and hopeless?

    If anyone actually needs a "good reason" to vote in the midterms this year, this is probably it.
    If your argument is that "both sides are just as bad" or you don't feel like your're being represented as much as you'd like, remember that there is a huge pack of rich, entitled pricks who are more than happy to hijack the democratic process for their own personal gain.
    Last edited by ChadH; 02-11-2018 at 09:55 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!



    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown

  3. #90663
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    14,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Not as long as you think.

    I think ICE may be motivated more by being drunk on the power they have (and any restrictions being lifted) than by country of origin. Doesn't make it any less of a travesty.
    Whoa! Iím shocked! Didnít think something like that would actually happen.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  4. #90664
    Astonishing Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Fearing a Democratic wave in 2018, the Koch Bros and their network of super rich a-holes pledge to spend over $400,000,000 to protect Republican majorities in Congress.



    Because why would they want to donate that money to improve the lives of the poor and hopeless?

    If anyone actually needs a "good reason" to vote in the midterms this year, this is probably it.
    If your argument is that "both sides are just as bad" or you don't feel like your're being represented as much as you'd like, remember that there is a huge pack of rich, entitled pricks who are more than happy to hijack the democratic process for their own personal gain.
    At least they're pumping some of their obscene fortunes back into the economy, instead of just hiding it in offshore accounts.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

  5. #90665
    Sans Pants ChadH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    1,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    At least they're pumping some of their obscene fortunes back into the economy, instead of just hiding it in offshore accounts.
    It's just smart investing. A couple hundred thousand dollars spent now could result in millions saved in taxes later. They all know that the wasteful, bleeding heart Dems would just throw it away on "entitlement programs" anyway.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!



    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown

  6. #90666
    Astonishing Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    It's just smart investing. A couple hundred thousand dollars spent now could result in millions saved in taxes later. They all know that the wasteful, bleeding heart Dems would just throw it away on "entitlement programs" anyway.
    I'd agree with that, but I don't think the Koch's ever pay a fraction of the taxes they'd be obliged to, anyway.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

  7. #90667
    Sans Pants ChadH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    1,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I'd agree with that, but I don't think the Koch's ever pay a fraction of the taxes they'd be obliged to, anyway.
    You'd be absolutely right in thinking that. I'm sure they have a team of lawyers and accounts making sure that doesn't happen.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!



    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown

  8. #90668
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I took your comment "Must be nice just to feel "alienated" by the concept of white privilege, rather than actually having to suffer the effects of it -- not to mention actually benefiting from it even as you continue to argue it's irrelevance." to be a potential dig at the concerns of working class white voters.
    Of course you did -- because you're more concerned with finding an insult in said comment than you are in seeing it as a statement of fact: it would be nice to just feel alienated by the concept of white privilege, instead of having to deal with actual discrimination and racism in society.

    That might be a foreign perspective to you, but that's my every day existence -- and instead of trying to see things from a different viewpoint, you instead choose to see said viewpoint as an attack on "white voters".

    If you're insulted by the truth, then that speaks volumes about your (or "their") position on the matter -- regardless, claiming that you feel that your (or "their") "concerns" aren't being met by either political party is no excuse for voting for a blatant racist.

    There were plenty of other options in the running -- the people who voted for Trump deserve no sympathy in that regard.

    You're always talking about "slippery slopes" but you seem to have a real blind spot when it comes to the "slippery slope" of racist behavior, even when it reaches the halls of our Presidency.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-11-2018 at 02:28 PM.

  9. #90669
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Of course you did -- because you're more concerned with finding an insult in said comment than you are in seeing it as a statement of fact: it would be nice to just feel alienated by the concept of white privilege, instead of having to deal with actual discrimination and racism in society.

    That might be a foreign perspective to you, but that's my every day existence -- and instead of trying to see things from a different viewpoint, you instead choose to see said viewpoint as an attack on "white voters".

    If you're insulted by the truth, then that speaks volumes about your (or "their") position on the matter -- regardless, claiming that you feel that your (or "their") "concerns" aren't being met by either political party is no excuse for voting for a blatant racist.

    There were plenty of other options in the running -- the people who voted for Trump deserve no sympathy in that regard.

    You're always talking about "slippery slopes" but you seem to have a real blind spot when it comes to the "slippery slope" of racist behavior, even when it reaches the halls of our Presidency.
    I think the whole reason why the concept of "white privilege" gets a lot of flak is because many more people have their eye on the privilege of wealth - far more advertised, easy to discern, and of course much more desirable a privilege. Plus, at least you can more easily put a physical measurement on it (in the form of currency and possessions, usually).
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 02-11-2018 at 02:40 PM.

  10. #90670
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    I think the whole reason why the concept of "white privilege" gets a lot of flak is because many more people have their eye on the privilege of wealth - far more advertised, easy to discern, and of course much more desirable a privilege. Plus, at least you can more easily put a physical measurement on it (in the form of currency and possessions, usually).
    And because it's a lot easier to do that than to talk about "race" -- especially when it might mean losing some of the aforementioned "privilege".

    Personally, I think "white privilege" is a stupid terminology, but that doesn't mean it isn't real.

    Conversely, there's no need to get defensive when the topic is brought up -- this is a system that was put into place long before most of us were born.

    Our responsibility is to change things, not to blame one another for the problems that preceded our birth.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-11-2018 at 03:06 PM.

  11. #90671
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    And because it's a lot easier to do that than to talk about "race" -- especially when it might mean losing some of the aforementioned "privilege".

    Personally, I think "white privilege" is a stupid terminology, but that doesn't mean it isn't real.

    Conversely, there's no need to get defensive when the topic is brought up -- this is a system that was put into place long before most of us were born.

    Our responsibility is to change things, not to blame one another for the problems that preceded our birth.
    Personally, I'd rather just achieve a state where I can withdraw from human civilization entirely and be none the poorer for it. Cause I'm honestly tired of being told what (or whose) "cause" I should fight for and why I'm one of "them" if I dont.

    After all, if I'm off the grid and outside the "machine" that is society, I'm technically not taking advantage of whatever oppressive systems people think are in place and thus I'm in a better position to tell them where they can stick their sanctimonious judgments.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 02-11-2018 at 03:16 PM.

  12. #90672
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Royal Castle of Atlantica, High Court of Terra
    Posts
    15,321

    Default

    'We've been forgotten': Hurricane Harvey and the long path to recovery

    s Hurricane Harvey howled through the night and the roof and walls of their island home collapsed from the pressure of 130mph winds, the immediate task for Melani Zurawski and Tim Yoke was survival.

    The couple climbed to the attic of their rental home and tied themselves together with ripped-up sheets. As they lay down, Yoke steeled for the end and Zurawski clutched a marker pen, ready to scrawl her social security number on her arm to make it easier for rescuers to identify her body.

    That was nearly six months ago. The present challenge, a mood of slow-burning frustration rather than a life-or-death adrenaline rush, can be summed up by the wads of documents they have crammed into a satchel. And the location of those dossiers: a small but cozy and well-appointed trailer near the beach where they live with two friendly black labradors.

    Like several others in Port Aransas, it was provided not by the government but through Adapt A Vet, a small Texas organisation that helps military veterans and their families. “The non-profits have done a wonderful job for a lot of people but there’s so many more people in need. We need people to know what we’re still facing,” Zurawski said.

    After the influx of volunteers and emergency workers and donations to meet urgent basic needs, many of Harvey’s victims have endured a time-consuming, energy-sapping bureaucratic labyrinth: exacting rules, hours on hold to call centres, waits for site visits, more questions than answers and the anxiety that help will be curtailed even though a return to something that resembles normal life is still months or years away.

    “Our government has failed us,” said Zurawski, 48. “It’s really sad that we’ve been overlooked and forgotten. Our mayor has done what he can as well as our city manager. We started out strong … and as time went by things changed.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.
    GM of the Rumbler's League - Extended Hiatus
    DBM: Meagan/Cyanna/Dash/Mirror Mage

  13. #90673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    I think the whole reason why the concept of "white privilege" gets a lot of flak is because many more people have their eye on the privilege of wealth - far more advertised, easy to discern, and of course much more desirable a privilege. Plus, at least you can more easily put a physical measurement on it (in the form of currency and possessions, usually).
    I think it's criticized more because people will always have a biases towards the problems that effect them and will have resentment towards anything that minimizes those problems. White people generally view income inequality as the big issue because it effects them and the concept of white privileged adds something into the equation where 1. it minimizes their problems and 2. doesn't have an impact on solving their problems. Whereas black people are impacted by it, so it's something that is more important to them and their causes for concerns.

    It's the same reason you don't see the Asian community talk about white privilege as much, because the biases that effect the black population don't really effect them the same way (which also makes me think it should really be viewed more as a disadvantage to certain racial groups as opposed to an advantage to others, but that becomes splitting hairs).

    And honestly it just comes down to people prioritizing what causes they want to fight for. I think nowadays people are less interested in building consensus on things they agree on and weeding out for ideological purity.

  14. #90674
    Extraordinary Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    7,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I think it's criticized more because people will always have a biases towards the problems that effect them and will have resentment towards anything that minimizes those problems. White people generally view income inequality as the big issue because it effects them and the concept of white privileged adds something into the equation where 1. it minimizes their problems and 2. doesn't have an impact on solving their problems. Whereas black people are impacted by it, so it's something that is more important to them and their causes for concerns.

    It's the same reason you don't see the Asian community talk about white privilege as much, because the biases that effect the black population don't really effect them the same way (which also makes me think it should really be viewed more as a disadvantage to certain racial groups as opposed to an advantage to others, but that becomes splitting hairs).

    And honestly it just comes down to people prioritizing what causes they want to fight for. I think nowadays people are less interested in building consensus on things they agree on and weeding out for ideological purity.
    I can say that when I was poor and struggling to do things like pay rent every month and unable to afford transportation outside of the occasional taxi (to get the groceries home without melting) my opinion on white privilege was that I'd sure like to start seeing some of it. Now that my situation has become more stable I've become less hostile to the notion than I used to be.

    The focus on economic inequality has some merit - it actually affects both the majority and minorities (and hits minorities harder). However, there also needs to be some focus on the underlying causes for that inequality, and not all of them are based purely in economics. The war on drugs and how convictions lock people out of a large portion of the economy for a lifetime is just one of those. And we all know who those policies have hit the hardest...

    -----> It's one of the things the state Libertarian Party has been lobbying to do away with here in Nevada - besides stopping the War on Drugs (a failed policy that costs lots of tax dollars in addition to the staggering human costs) they have also tried to get that little 'have you ever been convicted of a felony' checkbox on job applications made illegal. The aftereffects of the overzealous enforcement have economic penalties that can follow you for a lifetime - a long time to pay for what might just be a youthful mistake or even something that never should have been a crime to begin with.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 02-11-2018 at 03:45 PM.

  15. #90675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Of course you did -- because you're more concerned with finding an insult in said comment than you are in seeing it as a statement of fact: it would be nice to just feel alienated by the concept of white privilege, instead of having to deal with actual discrimination and racism in society.

    That might be a foreign perspective to you, but that's my every day existence -- and instead of trying to see things from a different viewpoint, you instead choose to see said viewpoint as an attack on "white voters".

    If you're insulted by the truth, then that speaks volumes about your (or "their") position on the matter -- regardless, claiming that you feel that your (or "their") "concerns" aren't being met by either political party is no excuse for voting for a blatant racist.

    There were plenty of other options in the running -- the people who voted for Trump deserve no sympathy in that regard.

    You're always talking about "slippery slopes" but you seem to have a real blind spot when it comes to the "slippery slope" of racist behavior, even when it reaches the halls of our Presidency.
    I get that I may be making things confusing by in one part of a post, giving my opinions, and in another, describing perceptions of opinions that aren't my own, but when you're talking about someone being insulted by the truth, what truth are you talking about?

    I'm not sure what statement I've made recently about racist behavior that would indicate a blind spot.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •