Page 6870 of 6921 FirstFirst ... 5870637067706820686068666867686868696870687168726873687468806920 ... LastLast
Results 103,036 to 103,050 of 103815
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post

Mitt Romney’s legend in Utah was more than enough to allow him to defeat GOP state legislator Mike Kennedy in the 2018 Primary for U.S. Senate, winning by almost 50 points. He’s not going to save the Republican Party from itself. He failed to help it course correct as their standard-bearer in 2012, when he was willing to make Birther jokes himself. He’s too square to be hip. Be ready more for him to embarrass himself than save the day.
    From the Michigan-born governor of Massachusetts to the Utah senator?

What are the chances that an Republican mormon ex-governor of Massachusetts would lose the Senate election in Utah, the homeland of Mormons and a deep-red state that's voted for Republican presidential candidates since 1964?

If he wins the senate election, he'd become the third individual to serve as governor of a state and U.S. senator from a different state. The other two were William W. Bibb (who served as a U.S. senator from Georgia and as the first governor of Alabama) and Sam Houston (who served as the sixth governor of Tennessee and as a U.S. senator from Texas).

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Son of a bitch! Seriously? Is that sort of thing ethical, or legal? If the fix was in all along for Kavanaugh, and the whole thing was nothing more than a dog and pony show, what about the other candidates? Do they complain about not getting a fair shake? How will Congress respond to what appears to have been a rigged process?
    The Republicans will appoint him to a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

That just sounds like an excuse for laziness.

Obvious, open racism is not against Reddit’s rules, CEO Steve Huffman told a user in April. “On Reddit,” he said, “the way in which we think about speech is to separate behavior from beliefs.”

Huffman didn’t really unpack his reasoning at the time. But in a private chat with a different user this past weekend, Huffman, who goes by the username “spez,” finally explained why he has refused to ban hate speech on Reddit: Apparently, it’s just too hard.

Huffman’s April comments sparked an uproar because they largely excused r/The_Donald, a nearly 630,000-member subreddit that is a vicious and wildly popular breeding ground for targeted racism of all sorts. That outrage prompted Huffman to kinda-sorta walk back his initial statement, adding soon after that “while the words and expressions you refer to aren’t explicitly forbidden, the behaviors they often lead to are.” Nothing about that comment provided any clarity, but muddying the waters is a useful tool for frustrating would-be critics of Reddit, which was acquired by the major publishing company Conde Nast in 2006 and is now owned by Conde’s parent company, Advance Publications.

This past Saturday, Zachary Swanson, a Reddit user and cybersecurity researcher who goes by the username “whatllmyusernamebe,” decided to ask Huffman to reconsider his stance on hate speech.

After pointing out that Reddit’s rules ban violent speech ― which Reddit defines as “content that encourages, glorifies, incites, or calls for violence or physical harm against an individual or a group of people” ― Huffman argued that “hate speech is difficult to define. There’s a reason why it’s not really done.” He also claimed that enforcing any sort of hate speech ban is “a nearly impossible precedent to uphold.”

As Gizmodo has pointed out, though, defining and limiting hate speech very much is done. Some of the companies that officially ban hate speech include Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google Plus, YouTube, Tumblr, LinkedIn ― the list goes on. (Tumblr is owned by HuffPost’s parent company, Oath.)

And for whatever reason, the difficulty of policing hate speech hadn’t stopped Reddit before. In 2015, after months of public criticism and internal controversy, Huffman announced the following:

That was just two months after Reddit shut down the subreddits [not including the names since it may violate rules here], which were dedicated to mocking people for being overweight, trans and black, respectively. Policing hate speech in these instances seemed easy enough.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Son of a bitch! Seriously? Is that sort of thing ethical, or legal? If the fix was in all along for Kavanaugh, and the whole thing was nothing more than a dog and pony show, what about the other candidates? Do they complain about not getting a fair shake? How will Congress respond to what appears to have been a rigged process?
    And part of it was easing Kennedy into riding off into the sunset, as in pointed out in a post I made a while back. Credit the "failing" NYT for putting the pieces together.

King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The Republicans will appoint him to a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court.

Except this turned out to be #FakeNews.

I know it's easy to fall for when it paints a picture that y'all would love to rally against but y'all gotta check the original source.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    From the Michigan-born governor of Massachusetts to the Utah senator?

What are the chances that an Republican mormon ex-governor of Massachusetts would lose the Senate election in Utah, the homeland of Mormons and a deep-red state that's voted for Republican presidential candidates since 1964?

If he wins the senate election, he'd become the third individual to serve as governor of a state and U.S. senator from a different state. The other two were William W. Bibb (who served as a U.S. senator from Georgia and as the first governor of Alabama) and Sam Houston (who served as the sixth governor of Tennessee and as a U.S. senator from Texas).
    I don't think there's any chance of the Democrat upsetting Mitt Romney in November. It's a state about as red as Alabama, but as much as a pathological liar and aloof rich doofus as Mitt Romney is, he's a hero in Utah for getting Salt Lake the Winter Olympics, and not, y'know, a racist, anti-Semitic, court-ignoring, gay-hating pedophile like Roy Moore. I believe there's gonna be a Blue Wave, but no way in hell is it that big of a tsunami.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ferro View Post

I know it's easy to fall for when it paints a picture that y'all would love to rally against but y'all gotta check the original source.
    You know, you're right.

https://twitter.com/LACaldwellDC/sta...03464137723904

I’ve deleted this tweet because it incorrectly implies a transactional nature in Kennedy’s replacement. I am told by a source who was not directly part of the talks that Kennedy provided Pres. Trump/ WH a list of acceptable replacements. (1/2)

Kavanaugh was the only one who was thought conservative enough to consider, I’m told. They added Kavanaugh – and 4 other names - to the public Federalist list that Trump would choose from in November. We are continuing to report this story. (2/2)
    But not as far off the mark as implied, eh?

You know, you're right.

https://twitter.com/LACaldwellDC/sta...03464137723904

But not as far off the mark as implied, eh?
    Yes it is far off the mark. The original tweet implies a transactional nature took place when there wasn't none to be had. Unless you are trying to say that a retiring SCOTUS Justice can't give thoughts on who would make a good SCOTUS Justice when asked?

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    All Trump's SCOTUS pick did was confirm 45 is guilty.

And 3 GOP Senators are no on him already.
    We'll see it soo. I don't trust the Conservatives in this country. They say shit to get the left Hyped, then laugh when they stab us in the back.
    Is always confused.....

My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

So Kennedy gave Trump a legit list of candidates, rather than making a deal to nominate his law clerk and then interview four others to make it look good? All that means is that they aren't always as corrupt as we imagine. We should still always do the research to find out just how far the corruption goes.

This is how #FakeNews spreads on social media:

The original tweet by Bennett is still up and has collected 326 additional retweets & 368 likes from the 11,600 rt's & 10,332 likes it was at when I originally saw the tweet.

The "update" tweet on the other hand has only 31 retweets & 25 likes.

**edit**

After I hit post the 1st tweet has now collected an additional 173 retweets & 169 likes. The 2nd tweet only 1 retweet & 0 likes were added.
    Last edited by Mister Ferro; 07-10-2018 at 09:40 AM.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1016718453166600193

Judge takes Green Party off Montana ballot after accusations that GOP improperly helped in signature gathering http://hill.cm/438B9Aq

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ferro View Post

While I'm glad that story had turned out to have been bogus, given all the shady shit Trump and his henchmen have done over the last year and a half, it's damn hard to give this administration the benefit of the doubt. So, when stories like that get out, yeah, the natural inclination is to think the worst (and I won't deny I had), I'd say we've almost been programmed in that regard because of how suspicious people are about Trump's motives and actions. Would that come under the heading of rampant and needless paranoia/conspiracy theory nonsense? Absolutely, I would be a fool to say differently, but, in my opinion, it's not exactly an unwarranted concern.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 07-10-2018 at 09:58 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Royal Castle of Atlantica, High Court of Terra

Secret tape recordings rock Georgia governor race

ATLANTA — Another secret recording is shaking up Georgia's Republican primary runoff in the governor's race.

Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle's campaign was already rocked last month by the release of a secretly recorded conversation in which Cagle said he backed what he called "bad public policy" for political gain. Cagle's runoff opponent, Secretary of State Brian Kemp, released another snippet of that conversation Monday.

In this 50-second piece , Cagle can be heard candidly discussing the GOP primary's sharp turn to the right, saying the five-man race came down to "who had the biggest gun, who had the biggest truck and who could be the craziest."

Kemp said in a statement to the AP on Monday that the newly released recording "exposes Cagle's real opinion of Republican voters in Georgia."

Cagle has called his talk with former candidate for governor Clay Tippins a private conversation that was never meant to become public, and says it's being taken out of context.

His campaign said Monday that the comments were not aimed at Georgia voters, but at "his crazy opponents' campaign, full of gimmicks and devoid of substance."

Kemp has garnered his own strong criticism — and national headlines — for a series of provocative television ads ran during the primary. In one ad, Kemp holds a shotgun and pretends to threaten a young man interested in his daughter. In another, Kemp says "I got a big truck," as he slams the door on a pickup, "just in case I need to round up criminal illegals and take 'em home myself."

"Pointing guns at kids. Blowing things up. It's silliness. Some might say 'crazy.' No, scratch that, nearly everybody would say it's crazy," Cagle's campaign said.

The recording was captured without Cagle's knowledge by Tippins just days after the May 22 primary in which Cagle and Kemp beat out Tippins and two others. Tippins secretly recorded the private conversation at Cagle's campaign office on a phone hidden in his coat pocket, and provided a longer piece of the recording to local media outlets.

"The issues you talk about are the issues I care about as well. The problem is in a primary — and you and I are just talking off the record frank — they don't give a (expletive) about those things, OK. In the general election, they care about it, OK. But they don't care about it in a primary." Cagle says in the newly released snippet.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.
    DBM: Meagan/Cyanna/Dash/Mirror Mage

Rebel that Rebels BeastieRunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    What GOP senators are no on him already?
    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Yeah.

Felt more like "Reply Hazy, Try Again" or "Better Not Tell You Now".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    We'll see it soo. I don't trust the Conservatives in this country. They say shit to get the left Hyped, then laugh when they stab us in the back.
    Collins, McCain, & Murkowski are fence sitting but against a vote until "the will of the people" is decided. McCain is expected to be a non-vote, so we need a full block by the Ds and only one R to flip at this point. If more than one flips, it signals to Trump that he won't get a hard right pick through this time.

I fully expect one of the leaving GOPers to vote against him to screw Trump but I'm actually more concerned with the Ds ... too many of them are going to take a concession to receive a small boost in their area for November (even though they're not threatened).

I can see a D or 2 making this a tie or sending it over by 1, sadly.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium