Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post
    Atleast Hank Hill has a healthy relationship with his wife and the rest of his family.
    Eh, I don't know if I'd call it a healthy relationship. Remember Hank said, right to Peggy's face, that if he'd knew ahead of time she couldn't make a certain food well he wouldn't of married her. It's certainly healthy compared to Family Guy though.

Also for some reason Hank has never sat Peggy down and told her she really knows very little actual Spanish. I know that isn't his fault, but he does kind of let her make a fool of herself.
    Something something darkside.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    It's certainly healthy compared to Family Guy though.
    Thats what I'm talking about Hank has more common sense then any Family Guy character.

Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post
    Thats what I'm talking about Hank has more common sense then any Family Guy character.
    Yeah but that doesn't exactly say a lot. I've seen inanimate objects with more common sense then Family Guy characters.
    Something something darkside.

Yeah but that doesn't exactly say a lot. I've seen inanimate objects with more common sense then Family Guy characters.
    Very True, But King of the Hill characters are not extremely annoying as Seth Macfarlane characters that are only made for random gags.

Self-Proclaimed Genius clayholio's Avatar

Eh, I don't know if I'd call it a healthy relationship. Remember Hank said, right to Peggy's face, that if he'd knew ahead of time she couldn't make a certain food well he wouldn't of married her. It's certainly healthy compared to Family Guy though.

Also for some reason Hank has never sat Peggy down and told her she really knows very little actual Spanish. I know that isn't his fault, but he does kind of let her make a fool of herself.
    The episode where Randy Travis steals one of Peggy's songs pretty well explains why no one ever corrects Peggy. Life is just easier to let her believe she's better at things than she really is.

Hank and Peggy's relationship is functional, I'll give it that.
    clayholio

Ink Is My Perfume (art blog) - Clayholio Watches Movies (Movie Reviews)

Don't forget they are not swingers like Peter & Lois Griffin were they cheat on eachother hundreds of times.

my lips own you all master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clayholio View Post
    The episode where Randy Travis steals one of Peggy's songs pretty well explains why no one ever corrects Peggy. Life is just easier to let her believe she's better at things than she really is.

Hank and Peggy's relationship is functional, I'll give it that.
    true, their relationship is pretty normal.

also, how many dads in tv honestly love their job? selling propane isn't just a job. its his life's works. he loves it so much that even when hurt, he'd rather keep working than take a single day off. its very refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Step View Post
    TBH I have no problem with mean-spirited and immoral characters, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is one of my favourite shows and Veep is my favourite new comedy, but I mainly like them because the bad guys normally get their comeuppance and the show doesn't want you take their side, it always reminds you they are bad people, with Family Guy, Peter and fam often get away with being horrible, horrible people, don't face any repercussions, and we're actually supposed to root for them, it also leaves times when the show makes them out to be this loving warm family the very next week seem completely fake, only show to be able to do make me root for the selfish people is 30 Rock, and Family guy is nowhere near 30 Rock.
    I never got the impression you're supposed to root for Family Guy characters, except for maybe Brian since he often acts as a conscience. They have some good qualities, and it's often fun to see pairings like Stewie and Brian or Peter and Brian, or Lois and Peter because of the back and forth. But the show ultimately seems to be about how television has essentially ruined Peter's life by making him unable to relate to people except through television. But it also spoofs television itself, hence the constant breaking of the fourth wall, as if to imply maybe the family is just actors and don't really care about each other, which in itself is another layer to the joke. In fact there's one episode where Peter basically summarizes the show by saying "maybe if you take your values from television [you're messed up]" then he looks into the 'camera' and says "yeah" while motioning a remote towards the viewer implying he should perhaps turn off the television.

And I don't see that they don't face consequences. It's routinely implied their life sucks, and that they are in far worse shape than their neighbors, many of whom are far more successful and stable in their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottSummers View Post
    I never got the impression you're supposed to root for Family Guy characters, except for maybe Brian since he often acts as a conscience. They have some good qualities, and it's often fun to see pairings like Stewie and Brian or Peter and Brian, or Lois and Peter because of the back and forth. But the show ultimately seems to be about how television has essentially ruined Peter's life by making him unable to relate to people except through television. But it also spoofs television itself, hence the constant breaking of the fourth wall, as if to imply maybe the family is just actors and don't really care about each other, which in itself is another layer to the joke. In fact there's one episode where Peter basically summarizes the show by saying "maybe if you take your values from television [you're messed up]" then he looks into the 'camera' and says "yeah" while motioning a remote towards the viewer implying he should perhaps turn off the television.

And I don't see that they don't face consequences. It's routinely implied their life sucks, and that they are in far worse shape than their neighbors, many of whom are far more successful and stable in their careers.
    I think you're giving Family Guy too much credit, the show never focused upon Peter's life being ruined by TV, or even mentioned that, this is actually the first time I'm ever hearing that, it's just a bunch of episodes every week about an awful person being awful, even if it was it doesn't mean I want to see someone act like a petulant child every week with no repercussions.

The only pairing I like is Stewie and Brian.

I'm talking about consequences as a direct result of his actions, like in that one episode where Peter tried to marry Chris for his inheritance, nothing happened to him in the end, he was just like "Oh wait, this is wrong, I'll stop" -cue credits- or the multiple times he beats up and bullies Meg for no reason and nothing happens, in fact, most of the time it's encouraged and shown as a funny thing, and it's not just him, the show itself is just crude with lazy jokes, playing up tired stereotypes and rape jokes and just playing it straight, like "lolol Jews are greedy, let's cut to this Jewish guy hoarding money" "let's show Quagmire sexually attacking Marge Simpson and shooting the family" again I don't mind horrible characters but I do hate shows that doesn't portray them as such, I don't mind racist, sexist characters, hate racist, sexist shows.
    Last edited by Step; 06-11-2014 at 09:30 PM.

my lips own you all master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Step View Post
    I think you're giving Family Guy too much credit, the show never focused upon Peter's life being ruined by TV, or even mentioned that, this is actually the first time I'm ever hearing that, it's just a bunch of episodes every week about an awful person being awful, even if it was it doesn't mean I want to see someone act like a petulant child every week with no repercussions.

The only pairing I like it Stewie and Brian.

I'm talking about consequences as a direct result of his actions, like in that one episode where Peter tried to marry Chris for his inheritance, nothing happened to him in the end, he was just like "Oh wait, this is wrong, I'll stop" -cue credits- or the multiple times he beats up and bullies Meg for no reason and nothing happens, in fact, most of the time it's encouraged and shown as a funny thing, and it's not just him, the show itself is just crude with lazy jokes, playing up tired stereotypes and rape jokes and just playing it straight, like "lolol Jews are lazy, let's cut to this Jewish guy hoarding money" "let's show Quagmire sexually attacking Marge Simpson and shooting the family" again I don't mind horrible characters but I do hate shows that doesn't portray them as such, I don't mind racist, sexist characters, hate racist, sexist shows.
    i wanna get on this since you mentioned it. i.........hate quagmire. ever since that speech to brian about why he didn't like him. for my money, he has no right to think he's a morally better person than brian when he is just a shameless jiggalo. and sure brian has made plays for lois but so has glenn. at least brian loves lois and didnt just want to bang her like quagmire.

personally, i see boomhaur as what quagmire would be if he was a better developed character. sure, boomhaur sleep around but he didnt take any kind of moral high ground over the others and was actually a wise and surprisingly smart person.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    ever since that speech to brian about why he didn't like him. for my money, he has no right to think he's a morally better person than brian when he is just a shameless jiggalo.
    I don't think the fact that he sleeps around makes him particulary amoral. Is a perfectly normal for a human being to enjoy sex.

The fact that he is also a rapist and that this is played as just being part of his quirky nature, however...

But anyway, regarding the OP, King of the Hill all the way. Not only does Mike Judge have a direct line to my funny bone but he also creates characters you care about in interesting situation that challenge them. Is the Old Looney Tunes formula, Make funny characters, throw them in whatever situation you feel like it so that they can funny it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    I don't think the fact that he sleeps around makes him particulary amoral. Is a perfectly normal for a human being to enjoy sex.

The fact that he is also a rapist and that this is played as just being part of his quirky nature, however...
    Yeah, it's not so much that he sleeps around, it's that he's a rapist and it's all played for laughs and everyone's like "Oh, that's so Quagmire!".

Hey, here's another element to throw into the mix as this thread has mentioned more than just the original two shows: For all those who love King of the Hill, does it bother anyone that Mike Judge is also responsible for Beavis & Butthead?