Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bendis's X-Men

Default Bendis's X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post

Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man is excellent. I really can't say anything about his X-Men because I don't read any X-titles. Not really interested in them at this point.

Speaking for myself BMB's X-titles are kinda underwhelming. His Uncanny didn't make sense to me and his plots for All New are kinda meh. I really really enjoy Stuart Immonen's art though.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Speaking for myself BMB's X-titles are kinda underwhelming. His Uncanny didn't make sense to me and his plots for All New are kinda meh. I really really enjoy Stuart Immonen's art though.
    I like his Uncanny book for the most part. There a few problematic things that have popped up from time to time but otherwise it's enjoyable (Nothing great).

All New X-men has the problem of giving every character Bendis speak, it's something that really only works for Kitty and Bobby. It absolutely doesn't work with Scott and Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Strong View Post
    Hey now! Triage is um...

Ok, nevermind. He's pretty inconsequential, up until we readers need to be reminded that he's little more than a one-note "video game-esque medpack"/death retcon device.
    Goldballs! Male of colour, awesome, and has gotten plenty of attention.

Goldballs: Best new mutant of the 2010s.

Edit: I've been loving UXM and ANXM. I prefer UXM, but I enjoy both. I think he's doing some really good characterizations. He writes a great, complex Scott. He writes the best Cuckoos since Morrison. He writes the best Illyana since Louise Simonson. The new mutants are all great characters. In ANXM, he writes a great Jean Grey - Teen Jean was always the best Jean. His Iceman is genuinely funny for possibly the first time ever (I've never liked Iceman). His Beast is cool. His Angel could use some more focus, which it seems like he's starting to get, but what we've seen has been good. His Kitty is really good.

ANXM suffers a bit from a lack of any apparent direction. UXM has a direction, and it's a really, really cool one. The current arc has all sorts of plot threads all coming to a head, which is really fun. So, I really love Bendis' X-Men work.
    Last edited by Tiamatty; 05-24-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    I like his Uncanny book for the most part. There a few problematic things that have popped up from time to time but otherwise it's enjoyable (Nothing great).

All New X-men has the problem of giving every character Bendis speak, it's something that really only works for Kitty and Bobby. It absolutely doesn't work with Scott and Jean.
    I have to admit, Scott as some sort of "revolutionary" rubs me the wrong way. I know a lot of fans like modern Scott over "boy scout" Scott, but it doesn't work for me on a personal level. And i prefer Magneto as a bad guy. I don't think BMB gets Emma's dialogue quite right and really dislike Dazzler as a SHIELD agent.

And aren't the Avengers supposed to be after them? It's like BMB brought it up and then abandoned it...

I have to admit, Scott as some sort of "revolutionary" rubs me the wrong way. I know a lot of fans like modern Scott over "boy scout" Scott, but it doesn't work for me on a personal level. And i prefer Magneto as a bad guy. I don't think BMB gets Emma's dialogue quite right and really dislike Dazzler as a SHIELD agent.

And aren't the Avengers supposed to be after them? It's like BMB brought it up and then abandoned it...
    I've always loved Scott, and I think the current direction actually makes sense for him. His Emma isn't quite right, I'll agree, though I think when he gives her more lines, she sounds better. As far as the Avengers go, well, finding Scott's team is a problem. But I think, also, the Avengers simply have bigger problems to deal with. Maria Hill's taken the lead on looking for Scott, and if she feels like she needs the Avengers' help, she'll call them in.

Also, I think most of the Avengers just plain don't care to go after Scott any more. In the immediate aftermath of AvX, sure, but now that tempers have had time to settle, I think most of them just don't feel any real motivation. Even Captain America's come to realize that Scott isn't really responsible for Xavier's death.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I've always loved Scott, and I think the current direction actually makes sense for him. His Emma isn't quite right, I'll agree, though I think when he gives her more lines, she sounds better.
    Bendis Uncanny X-men is fantastic, third best comic currently at Marvel (after Loki: Agent of Asgard and Superior Foes of Spiderman). I think it's a shame some posters in this thread are so quick to disregard Bendis' Uncanny X-men... considering every new student he introduced is a minority, and with Magneto gone, his team now has only only white, straight male on it. Pretty awesome.

I agree his Emma comes and goes, 80% of what she says works, 20% just doesn't sound like Emma. Her going shopping like a boss was perfect though!

UXM has a direction, and it's a really, really cool one. The current arc has all sorts of plot threads all coming to a head, which is really fun. So, I really love Bendis' X-Men work.
    Cyclops' Revolution is FANTASTIC! Such a great story, and so good to see the mutants as a true minority explored; not just from the X-men's point of view, but through citizens and authority. From rallies, to parents and just random people in the street, Bendis is really going with it and he gets it. So awesome!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-25-2014 at 03:30 AM.

I've always loved Scott, and I think the current direction actually makes sense for him. His Emma isn't quite right, I'll agree, though I think when he gives her more lines, she sounds better. As far as the Avengers go, well, finding Scott's team is a problem. But I think, also, the Avengers simply have bigger problems to deal with. Maria Hill's taken the lead on looking for Scott, and if she feels like she needs the Avengers' help, she'll call them in.

Also, I think most of the Avengers just plain don't care to go after Scott any more. In the immediate aftermath of AvX, sure, but now that tempers have had time to settle, I think most of them just don't feel any real motivation. Even Captain America's come to realize that Scott isn't really responsible for Xavier's death.

I hear what you're saying, but reading it, it just seemed like a dangling plot thread. "Cap, that girl stopped time and Scott and his crew got away! Let's go after 'em!" Cap, "Aw, maybe later...let's do some cosmic stuff today instead."

Course, I have no way of knowing, but I wonder if they're leaving the door open in case they want to do AvX Part 2 in a couple of years.
    Last edited by ed2962; 05-25-2014 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Bendis Uncanny X-men is fantastic, third best comic currently at Marvel (after Loki: Agent of Asgard and Superior Foes of Spiderman). I think it's a shame some posters in this thread are so quick to disregard Bendis' Uncanny X-men... considering every new student he introduced is a minority, and with Magneto gone, his team now has only only white, straight male on it. Pretty awesome.

I agree his Emma comes and goes, 80% of what she says works, 20% just doesn't sound like Emma. Her going shopping like a boss was perfect though!

Cyclops' Revolution is FANTASTIC! Such a great story, and so good to see the mutants as a true minority explored; not just from the X-men's point of view, but through citizens and authority. From rallies, to parents and just random people in the street, Bendis is really going with it and he gets it. So awesome!
    Again, I admit I dropped Uncanny early on. The "mutant as minority" thing seemed like empty slogans and the plots was kinda meandering. If the "political" aspects have gotten better I'll take your word. But...

Glad to see that Bendis is diversifying his cast. But I'm still not enamored with any of the X-titles. My last X-title was the lastest version of Uncanny X-Force. I'm going to get the Storm solo but that's it.
    "Welcome to the show my friends where the story never ends!"

Glad to see that Bendis is diversifying his cast. But I'm still not enamored with any of the X-titles. My last X-title was the lastest version of Uncanny X-Force. I'm going to get the Storm solo but that's it.
    I'm finding the X-line really strong right now. UXM is great. ANXM needs a bit more direction, but is otherwise great (it doesn't hurt that Stuart Immonen's done art for so much of the series, making it easily the best-looking X-title). X-Men has been consistently great, and is the only book the make any real use of the New X-Men students. Amazing X-Men is getting a pair of immensely talented and fun writers in Kyle and Yost. X-Force is excellent. Even WatXM has gone from a frustrating pile of shit to just "meh." The Magneto solo's been very good. The first issue of the Cyclops ongoing was pretty good. The Nightcrawler ongoing is . . . well, it's pretty Claremontian, so it's OK, but nothing remarkable.

I'm finding the X-line really strong right now. UXM is great. ANXM needs a bit more direction, but is otherwise great (it doesn't hurt that Stuart Immonen's done art for so much of the series, making it easily the best-looking X-title). X-Men has been consistently great, and is the only book the make any real use of the New X-Men students. Amazing X-Men is getting a pair of immensely talented and fun writers in Kyle and Yost. X-Force is excellent. Even WatXM has gone from a frustrating pile of shit to just "meh." The Magneto solo's been very good. The first issue of the Cyclops ongoing was pretty good. The Nightcrawler ongoing is . . . well, it's pretty Claremontian, so it's OK, but nothing remarkable.
    I'm glad that people are enjoying the X-titles. Seems like there's a variety of titles for people to enjoy. I'm just not one of them. I'm not a fan of the tone and direction of the X-Books. Maybe after the Axis event things will change but until then, I can't support any of it. Storm is the only X-title I'm interested in reading.
    "Welcome to the show my friends where the story never ends!"

How so?

All this... QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!! X-men and Uncanny X-men has been gold, Amazing X-men is solid, and Latour is doing a good job in Wolverine and the X-men (but Quire and more Phoenix silliness has seen me drop the comic). David's All New X-factor is very fun, love that it's a female leader, and his Gambit is amazing... but... just wish the cast was a little more diverse/come on Doug/Warlock are rubbish!

QUOTE=Marvell2100;120928]Glad to see that Bendis is diversifying his cast. But I'm still not enamored with any of the X-titles. My last X-title was the lastest version of Uncanny X-Force. I'm going to get the Storm solo but that's it.[/QUOTE]
    You didn't try X-men? It's been awesome, and not only is it all female, it's also nearly all WOC and exploring sexuality. In terms of diversity, it's hands down one of the best comics at Marvel right now.

I was glad to see Bishop back and was interested in what they had planned. I'm glad they redeemed his character without drastically changing what he used to be prior to Messiah Complex. If they series had lasted longer I wanted to see what more they were going to do with him. There's talk that he may end up in Uncanny Avengers which I would like to see.
    Hmmmm... not sure I'd like that. X-men haven't fared too well in that comic... BUT I'd rather he was in a comic than in limbo.

I really liked Humphries' UXF run; more than the second half of Remender's run, certainly, but just in general.
    I think too many hated Humphries run, I found it very solid (ditto for his Avengers: AI) AND both his comics had very diverse casts (which he never got enough credit for).

All this... QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!! X-men and Uncanny X-men has been gold, Amazing X-men is solid, and Latour is doing a good job in Wolverine and the X-men (but Quire and more Phoenix silliness has seen me drop the comic). David's All New X-factor is very fun, love that it's a female leader, and his Gambit is amazing... but... just wish the cast was a little more diverse/come on Doug/Warlock are rubbish!
    Hey! Doug and Warlock are awesome! Don't you badmouth Doug and Warlock. But yes, some diversity would be nice. Maybe Doug could explore his sexuality. Not a sudden "oh by the way I'm gay," but a gradual realization that he actually does like guys. He can be bisexual or just full-on gay.

I think too many hated Humphries run, I found it very solid (ditto for his Avengers: AI) AND both his comics had very diverse casts (which he never got enough credit for).
    Humphries' UXF did have some problems. I was disappointed with how little Puck did. And Storm, for that matter. It was a Psylocke solo for a while, and considering it was advertised as a team book, it's understandable why a lot of people would've been annoyed and turned off. Personally, I still enjoyed it.

How so?
    Some of this may have been addressed since I stopped reading the comic, but what's Scott deal as a so-called revolutionary? What's his end goal? What's he teaching kids in his bunker that they couldn't learn at the Jean Grey school? How to be better fighters and evade the law? You can't even say that he's Magneto-lite cuz Mags at least had ambition. And I know Kitty got angry but it still doesn't make since for her to take the O5 there.

Some of this may have been addressed since I stopped reading the comic, but what's Scott deal as a so-called revolutionary? What's his end goal? What's he teaching kids in his bunker that they couldn't learn at the Jean Grey school? How to be better fighters and evade the law? You can't even say that he's Magneto-lite cuz Mags at least had ambition. And I know Kitty got angry but it still doesn't make since for her to take the O5 there.
    All that remains unclear, which is a big part of the problem for me. It's like they wanted to make him follow in Mag's footsteps but pulled the plug at the last minute. Now he just does propaganda spots and threatens war. One issue you have college kids worshiping him and making Magneto jealous, the next he goes on about how hated he is. The kids are being taught how much the world is out to get them and being indoctrinated into a military style of the X-Men.

I don't care for either book. The premise of UXM could have been interesting if executed differently. The pacing, Bendisspeak and plot holes keep me from enjoying it. I pick up an issue every once in a while to see if anything has happened yet.

ANXM is a basic retcon of some iconic characters propped up by events and crossovers. It hasn't gone beyond the premise of "oh no, look what we become". It seems more of a way for him to write the original X-Men without all that pesky continuity -- in other words, similar to an ultimate line.