Page 204 of 204 FirstFirst ... 104154194200201202203204
Results 3,046 to 3,051 of 3051
    Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, the New 52 erased the other two batgirls but keep all the male Robins.
    True, and a few people have brought up the idea that by having Barbara walk again, DC removed what was a positive portrayal physically challenged people in cape comics.

I guess I'm just thinking of things like when the nu52 debuted, you had black men as the stars of Mr Terrific, Static, and Batwing. Now, two of those comics weren't that great and the other got lost in the glut of Bat-titles, but DC did put the comics out. It's not like they ignored the potential new fans these comics could have brought in, it's more like they dropped the ball.

It looks like they're trying again with DC YOU, but if they want to make headway, they can't just send things to Comics Vine, they've got to get those press releases to Entertainment Weekly and Time, Jim Lee and Didio have to go on Today Show and Kelly and Micheal. Go on Fox and spin We Are Robin as a triumph for self made success or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Isn't Jessica's mother a white woman of Danish and French-Canadian ancestry? And her dad is a Mexican man who doesn't look very dark (and almost all Mexicans are a mix of European and Native American, with some having a bit of African blood).

I think Jessica Alba really is mostly Caucasian. She just has skin tone very similar to her non-European ancestors, even if those are minority. It happens, I know people who has an Asia great-grandfather and still keeps Asian looks.
    She is mostly European in dna but clearly she does not look Caucasian.

So they bring in the other two batgirls in the new 52 and erased them again?

Batgirl future's end

Newbie Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Ah, so that's the terminology.

I'm currently working on developing a female Indian character (from the era of the Indian Rebellion of 1857) for my book "Primus" -- I'm going to do more research into this and see if I can incorporate some of this into her background. Maybe I'll even address the "caste" system directly, as I've always wanted to learn more about it's influence on Indian society as a whole.
    Yes, you do that. But as for the casting of Dr. Rao I'd rather know how offended Indians were - if they ever were about it. Bollywood is far more influential in India than Hollywood. Here's an example of one Indian fan casting Bollywood actors for X-Men roles:

http://www.scoopwhoop.com/entertainm...ollywood-cast/

IMO, her choice for Storm looks much closer to how I'd imagine her face would be.
    Last edited by Red Mask; Yesterday at 06:01 PM.

The New 52 erased a number of characters. Male and female.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    So they bring in the other two batgirls in the new 52 and erased them again?
    Future's end wasn't main New 52 continuity. It was a future timeline.
    And they've since actually reintroduced one of those batgirls in the main continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
    Yes, you do that. But as for the casting of Dr. Rao I'd rather know how offended Indians were - if they ever were about it. Bollywood is far more influential in India than Hollywood. Here's an example of one Indian fan casting Bollywood actors for X-Men roles:

http://www.scoopwhoop.com/entertainm...ollywood-cast/

IMO, her choice for Storm looks much closer to how I'd imagine her face would be.
    It's not just about if "they" are offended -- it's also that I get tired of seeing people play roles when I know they aren't the same ethnicity that they are supposed to be role-playing.

Also, if the character is supposed to be of a darker complexion, nine times out of ten they will cast a more "light-skinned" actor which -- as a black person -- I find problematic in that it feeds into the racist line of thought that having a lighter complexion is more acceptable to the general public.

I still remember watching Cannonball Run where Jackie Chan played a Japanese character, despite the fact that he is Chinese. At the time, I knew of Jackie Chan from Drunken Master and it just seemed ridiculous to me having him play an entirely different nationality, as if Chinese and Japanese were interchangeable. Granted, not everyone feels that way (as we've already discussed) but I do, which is why I bring it up.

And it's not just me who feels this way -- often the actors share the same viewpoint...

"Jackie Chan, who played a small role in this movie, was very upset when he learned his character was Japanese since he himself is Chinese."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082136/trivia

...but they will still take the role because they feel it may open more doors for themselves, and for other people of color in general in Hollywood.

I likewise still remember Dustin Nguyen -- who is Vietnamese-American -- playing a Japanese character on 21 Jump Street. I was also bothered by this... until the show actually revealed later in the series that he was really Vietnamese and masquerading as a Japanese person for storyline purposes, which I thought was an excellent commentary on how many Americans don't even understand the differences between most Asian (and other non-white) cultures.

Just as with Michael B. Jordan playing the Human Torch, it's not what I prefer to see, and there should be more original roles out there for people of different backgrounds and nationalities. Sure, Jordan will play Johnny Storm as it is a golden opportunity for him, but I'll bet if you asked him he'd much prefer to play "Synch" or "Cyborg" than play a white character and have to deal with all of the backlash that comes with said role.

The real problem here is that those roles just don't exist.

I can readily admit that maybe 95% of the public doesn't care if John Cho -- who is Korean -- plays a Japanese or a Chinese or a Vietnamese character in a film.

But I do, and that's just my perspective on the matter.