Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14546061626364

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Part of the reason why I think kamala is doing so well, aside from the writing and art, is the fact that Carol isn't dead or missing, if she was, I don't think people would warm up to kamala so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kencana View Post
    Well. You said the truth.
    I agree Overhazard has a strong point -- Carol hasn't "died" or been "depowered" or "put in a wheelchair" or "turned into a crazy villain" or even "just disappeared offstage for a few years." All of that is to the good -- it avoids having a thousand fans start screaming, "I can't believe Marvel did such a terrible thing to her just so they could artificially 'create an opening' for Kamala to come along and fill!"

But in addition to that: One other point, which I think I made in another thread, is that Carol hasn't spent practically her entire career introducing herself as "Ms. Marvel" and thus becoming Very Closely Identified with that one role in the hearts of her fans. (Unlike the way Steve Rogers has spent several decades usually calling himself "Captain America," with occasional interruptions for a change of pace.)

In Carol's case, any well-informed fans of the character should be keenly aware that she once went for about 25 years (1981 to 2006, I believe) without calling herself "Ms. Marvel" on a regular basis. That seems to prove that she knows darn well she can get along just fine without that particular alias! She's got plenty of others to choose from!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    I agree Overhazard has a strong point -- Carol hasn't "died" or been "depowered" or "put in a wheelchair" or "turned into a crazy villain" or even "just disappeared offstage for a few years." All of that is to the good -- it avoids having a thousand fans start screaming, "I can't believe Marvel did such a terrible thing to her just so they could artificially 'create an opening' for Kamala to come along and fill!"
    Truth. I bet if Carol "disappeared", the next Marvel threat will be filled with Kamala Khan hate. There's already many threat about "Marvel is too PC" or "Why Marvel bother with lesser title?" or "Anybody want 'old' character back?" etc etc. Personally, I'm glad Carol is elevated into Captain Marvel. It's a cool non-gendered title.

Just like one heroine said, "I’ve made a conscious choice to stay unattached. You wouldn’t understand, but females are taught to value their own worth based on what guy they can catch. I’d rather go solo than be known exclusively as 'the girlfriend of so-and-so."

Not sure they would care Carol is not exactly all that popular. then again after Ted Kord got moved offstage Jaime Reyes got plenty of hate and I have serious doubts that all those haters were Ted Kord Fans.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Not sure they would care Carol is not exactly all that popular. then again after Ted Kord got moved offstage Jaime Reyes got plenty of hate and I have serious doubts that all those haters were Ted Kord Fans.
    I'm guessing all the hate for Jaime Reyes had more to do with his youth than his ethnic background. A teen replacing a funny wise-cracking guy? Most of the adult males probably would have supported a female teen Blue Beetle instead.

Preview of Hawkeye's sign language issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post

In Carol's case, any well-informed fans of the character should be keenly aware that she once went for about 25 years (1981 to 2006, I believe) without calling herself "Ms. Marvel" on a regular basis. That seems to prove that she knows darn well she can get along just fine without that particular alias! She's got plenty of others to choose from!
    I think that same fact helped fans warm to Daken when he took over Wolverine's solo series (Logan still had one series, was alive, around and all that).