Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12525859606162

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I still say Captain Marvel is the best option. Black Widow's a spy - she's someone who works in the background, avoiding direct confrontations where possible. Carol, though, is someone who excels at direct confrontations. And I think it's important to get a leading lady like that. To get someone who can take everything the bad guy throws at her and get right up in his face.

We need a female superhero who is every bit the equal of any of the male suprheroes.
    I agree Capt Marvel needs her own movie too and we should see some powered people who not just guys but I disagree that Widow working in the background can't mean she can lead a movie. She's a female James Bond and Bond done right is huge too. There really isn't any female spy features either.
    Original Join Date: Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    For a while DC had Cass Cain and then Stephanie Brown take over Barbara Gordon's Batgirl ID (but that's still girl version of a boy hero and Dan Didio undid it anyway as he insists Babs is the most well known Batgrirl some 20 years after stopping being batgirl). The only other one I could think of is Black Canary is the daughter or Black Canary (post Crisis not sure about new 52)

But that is interesting, I hadn't really thought about the lack of female legacies. I guess Ms Marvel 2 is the only one explicitly stated to be influenced by the original. I think even the Batgirls were more just taking the name and not really connected to each other, like it wasn't that Cass was a protoge of Babs or a fan. DC's Black Canary inherited the role. Wonder Woman has had some Wonder Girls but I don't think the newest ones are connected to each other.
    Nice info. Someone on other forum asked "Is there any legacy hero female to male?" Now that I think about it, most legacy either male to male/female. Is there any story where a man adore female superhero and decided to take her mantle when she retired? I can only think Wasp. It'll be interesting to reverse gender role. We see many little girl adore males (Superman, Batman, etc) but little boy who adore female superhero? How many of them??? I know female heroes is not as prominent as their male counterpart and they can be badly written for fanservice sake, but still...
    Last edited by Kencana; 07-21-2014 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kencana View Post
    Nice info. Someone on other forum asked "Is there any legacy hero female to male?" Now that I think about it, most legacy either male to male/female. Is there any story where a man adore female superhero and decided to take her mantle when she retired? I can only think Wasp. It'll be interesting to reverse gender role. We see many little girl adore males (Superman, Batman, etc) but little boy who adore female superhero? How many of them??? I know female heroes is not as prominent as their male counterpart and they can be badly written for fanservice sake, but still...
    I was a big fan of the Cassandra Cain Batgirl -- always wondered what happened to her. I'd pay money to see her and Batwoman in a movie together, especially along with Anne Hathaway playing Catwoman. DC needs to get it together and do some big-screen Batman spin-offs ASAP instead of trying to reboot the same two franchises (Batman and Superman) over and over again.

Anyway, here's some news on Stan Lee creating some new "diverse" heroes (Indian and Chinese-American). I hope I'm still breathing at 91, much less still creating new comic book characters and producing movies.

-----------

"Stan Lee discusses the evolution of the comic book world"

JULY 21, 2014, 3:15 PM|As thousands prepare to head to San Diego’s massive comic book convention this week, CBS News' Bigad Shaban talked to the former head of Marvel Comics, Stan Lee. The man known as the grandfather of modern comics has given life to some of the world's most iconic superheroes, and at age 91, continues to hone his craft..."

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/stan-l...ic-book-world/
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 07-21-2014 at 06:06 PM.
    Primus. Kerouac Black. Moon. (Graphics)
    http://nihilon.deviantart.com/gallery/

Aquarius. Solace. Modus. (Books)
    http://www.writing.com/main/portfolio/view/nihilon_x

Aquarius (Music)
    https://soundcloud.com/shadowsun

I still say Captain Marvel is the best option. Black Widow's a spy - she's someone who works in the background, avoiding direct confrontations where possible. Carol, though, is someone who excels at direct confrontations. And I think it's important to get a leading lady like that. To get someone who can take everything the bad guy throws at her and get right up in his face.

We need a female superhero who is every bit the equal of any of the male suprheroes.
    Binary all the way. Great character design, potentially Superman-level cosmic powers, and a familiar face. Lots of Sci-Fi potential (Starjammers, Guardians of the Galaxy crossovers, Skrulls, Thanos, etc) along with ties to the Avengers and the X-Men if needed.

-------

"As Binary, Carol was once linked to the power of a white hole and was able to generate heat, light, radiation and access all other forms of energy along the electromagnetic spectrum on an almost solar scale. She also had minor control over gravity. She could breathe in space and travel at the speed of light.

After this link was severed, she could no longer do so on the level she once had. However, the capacity for this power still remains with her."

http://marvel.wikia.com/Carol_Danvers_(Earth-616)
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 07-21-2014 at 06:07 PM.
    Primus. Kerouac Black. Moon. (Graphics)
    http://nihilon.deviantart.com/gallery/

Aquarius. Solace. Modus. (Books)
    http://www.writing.com/main/portfolio/view/nihilon_x

Aquarius (Music)
    https://soundcloud.com/shadowsun

Nice info. Someone on other forum asked "Is there any legacy hero female to male?" Now that I think about it, most legacy either male to male/female. Is there any story where a man adore female superhero and decided to take her mantle when she retired? I can only think Wasp.
    Pym taking on the Wasp identity is one of the few, and even then, he was openly mocked for it, and it was flat-out stated in that run of Mighty Avengers that one or more of his teammates considered a sign of him being *insane* that he would take on a super-hero identity once held by a woman.

Over at DC, Steve Trevor getting into superheroics after advancing past the role of 'Wonder Woman's boyfriend' is a rare example of a male supporting character to a female hero being a legacy.

Wiccan, son of the Scarlet Witch, could also count, since he's more of a direct port of her, than of his 'father' the Vision (and more accurately seems to be a spin off of Wanda than other super-children, such as Franklin Richards, who is quite a bit different than either of his parents).

Any of the male characters (Nate, Cable, Quentin) inheriting the legacy of the Phoenix or spun off somehow from Jean Grey or Maddy might also be seen as 'Jean Grey legacies,' kinda / sorta.

But, for the most part, heads of legacies do seem to be weighted towards men.

Pym's legacies include Janet herself, Black Goliaths 1 and 2, Ant-Men 2 and 3, Yellowjacket 2, Stature/Stinger, the entire Order super-team, Ultron (okay, bad!) and, second-generation through Ultron, Vision, Jocasta and Victor La Mancha/Victorious, as well as kinda/sorta Atlas, of the Thunderbolts, and various other Pym-particle-using people. Janet, an Avenger as long as Hank, has that one time Hank honored her memory...

Thor's got a bunch. Captain America's got a bunch. Spider-Man's got a bunch. Iron Man, surprisingly few, comparatively, but still more than Black Widow or Invisible Woman. Carol Danvers and She-Hulk are themselves legacies of male heroes! (And the lady heroes seem more likely to give birth to a legacy, than for anyone, especially a man, to be so inspired by their example as to follow in their footsteps.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Pym taking on the Wasp identity is one of the few, and even then, he was openly mocked for it, and it was flat-out stated in that run of Mighty Avengers that one or more of his teammates considered a sign of him being *insane* that he would take on a super-hero identity once held by a woman.
    Ouch. That hurt. It's hard breaking gender role without people bad mouthing them. Little boy that like 'girly' thing (doll, pink clotes, etc) often get mocked because it's unmanly.

But, for the most part, heads of legacies do seem to be weighted towards men.
    Yeah. I don't really mind it because a legacy's worth more than the person who leaves it.

But some people complain how this females keep 'stealing' other male superheroes name. I know someone that hate Stephanie Brown as Robin because Robin is and always males. Why there's so few males that 'steal' legacy from females? Whoa, idk maybe it's because:
    1. There's so few female superheroes.
    2. Males that take female legacy get mocked and is considered unmanly. (How dare a male idolize female superheroes!) *sarcasm*
    Last edited by Kencana; 07-21-2014 at 09:18 PM.

The demon under your bed Daymare's Avatar

Ouch. That hurt. It's hard breaking gender role without people bad mouthing them. Little boy that like 'girly' thing (doll, pink clotes, etc) often get mocked because it's unmanly.

Yeah. I don't really mind it because a legacy's worth more than the person who leaves it.

But some people complain how this females keep 'stealing' other male superheroes name. I know someone that hate Stephanie Brown as Robin because Robin is and always males. Why there's so fewn males that 'steal' legacy from females? Whoa, idk maybe it's because:
    1. There's so few female superheroes.
    2. Males that take female legacy get mocked and is considered unmanly. (How dare a male idolize female superheroes!) *sarcasm*
    I think part of it is that the female legacies tended to have Ms. , Girl, or Woman in their name. Plus as stated, there were so few female characters that removing one for another male counterpart would be rough. Phoenix (future QQ, Galactic Guardians) could be one but it is more an entity than a moniker now. Otherwise, there really are none I can think of from Marvel (or DC).
    If you are ignoring my point of view why is your name ALWAYS viewing my profile? Bye girl bye

In fairness, I think the concern about him being insane is that it was yet another in a long line of identities he's used, and he chose one that belonged to his dead ex-wife. And he took the name after coming back from spending a while abducted by Skrulls. And he has a history of mental problems.

What is even sillier is little baby boys used to always be dressed in pink, and little girls in baby blue. No idea when it changed to pink being "a girl's colour". Men wore it for centuries.

In fairness, I think the concern about him being insane is that it was yet another in a long line of identities he's used, and he chose one that belonged to his dead ex-wife. And he took the name after coming back from spending a while abducted by Skrulls. And he has a history of mental problems.
    Seconded. I didn't pick up a sexist vibe to it. He's earned the insane rep. That said, I liked the Wasp thing. Didn't last long enough (like Slott's run on Mighty).
    Formerly finfangfool

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Seconded. I didn't pick up a sexist vibe to it. He's earned the insane rep. That said, I liked the Wasp thing. Didn't last long enough (like Slott's run on Mighty).
    It was mostly villains who mocked him for using his wife's name. That obviously had sexist undertones. But it was coming from guys we were supposed to hate anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    What is even sillier is little baby boys used to always be dressed in pink, and little girls in baby blue. No idea when it changed to pink being "a girl's colour". Men wore it for centuries.
    what's considered masculine and feminine is constantly shifting. Seemingly every 20 years something that was once considered masculine somehow becomes feminine and thus "bad".