Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 29697576777879
Results 1,171 to 1,181 of 1181

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    I don't understand your logic. You say a Black Widow movie or other minority movie would be forced, but all of these movies are. We got two IM movies in Phase One because the Hulk movie underperformed and Marvel was afraid they'd lose money again. The whole point of having writers and a studio collaborate in an expanded universe is to make movies that expand the mythos and "count". Obviously, if they wanted to make a Black Widow movie, they would make her story count. Just as they made the story of each previous movie count. But if they made a movie and it failed financially, Marvel Studios would most likely not produce a sequel to it, even if there was some organic path to another story that made sense and could make it important to the greater MCU.
    What is scaring Marvel about the Black Widow is the fact that none of the she spy movies aside from Charlie's Angels
    did all that well at the box office.

Salt made 110 million at the box office but it cost 100 million to make. Since Marvel Movies cost at least
    150 million to make, this might be a problem for them.

Of course, Black Widow has been built up in the course of three movies so its not like the audience is unfamiliar
    with the character. They have got a major star in Scarjo playing Black Widow.

There are plenty of reasons to think a Black Widow solo flick would do over 150 mil domestic easy.

Even Feige noted the financial success of Female led films like Hunger Games and Divergent.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    What is scaring Marvel about the Black Widow is the fact that none of the she spy movies aside from Charlie's Angels
    did all that well at the box office.

Salt made 110 million at the box office but it cost 100 million to make. Since Marvel Movies cost at least

Of course, Black Widow has been built up in the course of three movies so its not like the audience is unfamiliar
    with the character. They have got a major star in Scarjo playing Black Widow.

There are plenty of reasons to think a Black Widow solo flick would do over 150 mil domestic easy.

Even Feige noted the financial success of Female led films like Hunger Games and Divergent.
    While a Black Widow movie would definitely be in some part a spy movie, that's not all it has to be. All they have to do is hire some decently talented writers to come up with a script that isn't your typical spy movie to set it apart. Use the fantastic nature of the MCU and write a script that dives deep into Natasha's characterization and psyche, include a good supporting cast or well-known character already established in the MCU, spy thriller beats, action beats, good character moments and interactions, and a plot that deepens the MCU mythos. For all the reasons people come up with for why a BW or BP movie hasn't been made, none of them are logical. They're excuses. Feige brings up this thing about how "difficult" it is to add in new franchises into the MCU framework, well, guess what? This is your plan. You set up these franchises. This is your vision. If you wanted to do a BW or BP or Captain Marvel movie, you could have already included it on the MCU chessboard. But instead, we get an Ant-Man movie where the most interesting aspects of the character have already been stripped and given to Tony. Where Janet probably won't make an appearance. Where we add yet another straight white male into the roster of superheroes in the MCU. How is it that people are still finding excuses about why a POC or female led movie hasn't been made yet, when Guardians just opened with a 94 million in the States? And they were definitely less well known than BW and BP. If there's one thing that Guardians has proved is that, for a new franchise to succeed, you need a good script, good actors, and a director with a vision. The time is now. I hope that for all of my complaining, one of the unaccounted for slots for new movies is a female or POC led superhero movie. Prove me wrong, Marvel.

The plot thickens...

----------

"The Amazing Spider-Woman: TheWrap Explores Superheroine Male-Female Divide"

"Superpowers aren't just carried by the Y chromosome – not that you'd know from the recent film offerings from Marvel and DC. The recent slate of superhero movies have been overwhelmingly male, populated by every Peter, Tony, Bruce, and Clark around. Thus, news today that Sony has greenlit a superheroine movie from the Spider-Man universe – to be written by Lisa Joy – feels like a long time coming.

But while most of us agree that we need more female-led superhero movies, it's hard to come up with a consensus of what a strong woman kicking ass – and the movie around her – should look like. Men and women especially have different visions of femme-powerment, so we polled TheWrap staff to ask what kind of superheroine(s) they'd like to see on the big screen – Wonder Women, Rogue, Joan of Arc (?!) – if any at all..."

----------------

"Warner Bros.
    Linda Ge, Blogger/Reporter

Watching the “X-Men” cartoons every Saturday morning makes up some of my earliest memories, so I have always been an “X-Men” fan — specifically a Jean Grey/Phoenix fan. She's one of the founding members of the team, she has a fascinating history, and the Dark Phoenix Saga is one of the most iconic stories in comic-book history. And yet, she's gotten overlooked again and again both in the comics and especially on the big screen, where Bryan Singer got her completely wrong. Then again, she's not alone there.

Currently in the comic books, writer Brian Michael Bendis is brilliantly showing off how much of a kick-ass character Jean can be, even in a younger, less powerful context. I firmly believe filmmakers can take any comic-book character and turn him or her into a compelling film lead. When it's someone as cool as Jean Grey, it should be even easier.

And it's long overdue...."

------------

20th Century Fox
    Joseph Kapsch, Executive Editor

I'm certainly not the target demographic for any kind of superhero movie and I only watch most of them because I need to be informed for our news coverage. Admittedly, I wasn't rushing home from school to read comic books as a kid or teen, I was actually rushing to my mailbox for the newest copy of Us Weekly Magazine.

That being said, if Hollywood is scrambling to make a glut of female superhero movies based on the success of Scarlett Johansson in Luc Besson's “Lucy” they might want to hold their horses a bit. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge advocate of badass, butt-kicking female characters in film and TV. As an avid viewer of shows like “Alias,” starring Jennifer Garner, or even the original “Charlie's Angels” (they weren't female superheroes of the comic book variety, but they embodied a lot of the same qualities), I certainly would welcome a big screen female superhero movie. “The Amazing Spider-Woman,” I can get onboard with this project, especially if it helps the world forget the “Catwoman” disaster with Halle Berry ever happened at all.

The questions are: Can a studio actually create a female superhero driven tentpole that is as viable a moneymaker as its male counterparts? And will the moviegoing audience head to the theater on opening weekend? We shall see...

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/amazin...154600369.html
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 08-05-2014 at 06:15 PM.
    Primus. Kerouac Black. Moon. (Graphics)
    http://nihilon.deviantart.com/gallery/
    Aquarius. Solace. Modus. (Books)
    http://www.writing.com/main/portfolio/view/nihilon_x
    Aquarius (Music)
    https://soundcloud.com/shadowsun

The media is having a field day with this...

Mission accomplished Sony -- well played. You've got the "buzz"... now you just have to deliver on the product.

----------

"Sony's 'Spider-Man' Spin-Off Plans Might Be Brilliant"

The big news yesterday was of course the announcement by Deadline that Sony (Sony Corporation) is apparently plotting a spin-off of their Amazing Spider-Man franchise that will involve a female superhero. Details are scarce, with much speculation about which female Spider-Man universe character it might feature (Black Cat? Spider-Woman?) but it is allegedly intended for sometime in 2017. What this means, assuming said movie actually gets made, is that Sony has beaten DC Comics and Marvel Studios to the punch in terms of a high-profile female-centric superhero movie. Combined with the recently announced Sinister Six super-villain team-up film planned for November, 2016, Sony’s much-derided (by myself among others) expansion hopes for Spider-Man may in-fact be brilliant. Assuming these films get made, Sony is going out of its way to do precisely what the other studios are not doing.

It can be argued that Sony merely reacted to the $79 million-and-counting domestic success of Scarlett Johansson‘s Lucy, along with the obvious big wins for the likes of Divergent and Maleficent and the outcry over a lack of female superheros from Walt Disney, Warner Bros. (Time Warner, Inc.), and 20th Century Fox (21st Century Fox Corp.) and decided to call “First!” for the sake of pre-production huzzahs. The best case scenario, one that is almost too wonderful to even speculate about, is that this announcement along with talk of a female-centric Ghostbusters reboot means that Sony is trying to differenciate itself from the tent-pole pack by crafting explicitely girl-powered superhero/action-fantasy tent poles...

... I have no idea if Sinister Six or (theoretically) Black Cat: The Movie will get made and/or will be successful. But even if these announcements are merely an attempt to placate Sony stockholders who want their own Avengers-style expanded universe, Sony at least deserves credit for taking its universe in thus-far untapped directions. Instead of saying “Let’s be like Marvel!,” they are apparently saying “Let’s see what Disney and Warner aren’t doing and do that!”

Heck, if they could now just announce that Amazing Spider-Man 3 will be a passing-of-the-torch saga for Miles Morales, Sony could really pull off a hat trick worth rooting for.

If this all seems unduly optimistic and idealistic, so be it. I would rather presume the best intentions and hope for the best results rather than assume the worst and expect the worst from a studio that is at least seemingly trying to do something different and/or fill a rather obvious gap in genre filmmaking...."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...rtner=yahootix
    Aquarius (Music)

RMB rules everything around me...

---------

"Former Marvel CEO Avi Arad Looks to Chinese Mythology in New Venture With Bruno Wu"

"Avi Arad and Seven Stars Entertainment's Bruno Wu are joining forces to develop a series of properties based on Chinese mythology and history

Former Marvel Studios CEO and Chairman Avi Arad (“The Amazing Spider Man,” “Iron Man”), and his company, Arad Productions, is forming a joint venture with Bruno Wu's Seven Stars Entertainment to develop superhero franchise properties, based on Chinese history and mythology, the companies announced on Tuesday...

“Bruno and I share an affinity for Chinese history and culture, and his knowledge will help guide me through this fascinating world of Chinese mythology,” Arad said in a statement. “We are excited to introduce a new set of superheroes and other wonders of the world in a contemporary way to the Chinese youth and audiences around the world.”

“Avi is a copious producer of fantasy, superheroes and sci-fi as well as one of the world’s top toy designers,” Wu said.

Wu and Arad will serve as producers on the projects, and Alexandra Bland from Arad Productions will executive produce.

Arad founded Arad Productions in 2006 after leaving Marvel, where he served as the chairman and CEO of Marvel Studios and CCO of Marvel Entertainment. In addition to "Spider-Man and "Iron Man," he was a driving force behind such other box-office franchises as as “X-Men,” “Fantastic Four,” “Blade" and “Ghost Rider..."

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column...runo-wu-68766/
    Aquarius (Music)

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    RMB rules everything around me...

---------

"Former Marvel CEO Avi Arad Looks to Chinese Mythology in New Venture With Bruno Wu"

"Avi Arad and Seven Stars Entertainment's Bruno Wu are joining forces to develop a series of properties based on Chinese mythology and history

Former Marvel Studios CEO and Chairman Avi Arad (“The Amazing Spider Man,” “Iron Man”), and his company, Arad Productions, is forming a joint venture with Bruno Wu's Seven Stars Entertainment to develop superhero franchise properties, based on Chinese history and mythology, the companies announced on Tuesday...

“Bruno and I share an affinity for Chinese history and culture, and his knowledge will help guide me through this fascinating world of Chinese mythology,” Arad said in a statement. “We are excited to introduce a new set of superheroes and other wonders of the world in a contemporary way to the Chinese youth and audiences around the world.”

“Avi is a copious producer of fantasy, superheroes and sci-fi as well as one of the world’s top toy designers,” Wu said.

Wu and Arad will serve as producers on the projects, and Alexandra Bland from Arad Productions will executive produce.

Arad founded Arad Productions in 2006 after leaving Marvel, where he served as the chairman and CEO of Marvel Studios and CCO of Marvel Entertainment. In addition to "Spider-Man and "Iron Man," he was a driving force behind such other box-office franchises as as “X-Men,” “Fantastic Four,” “Blade" and “Ghost Rider..."

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column...runo-wu-68766/
    If done the right way, this venture by Arad could be ridiculously profitable. China is where the market is going, might as well cater to your future customers. And it's a part of cultural mythology that hasn't been all that well or accurately portrayed in US entertainment, to be honest.
    Storm Wolverine Nightcrawler Colossus Shadowcat Rogue Phoenix Magneto
    Mirage Cannonball Karma Sunspot Wolfsbane Magik Magma Cypher Warlock
    Jubilee Synch M Chamber Skin Husk

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Your numbers made me curious, so I checked on Wikipedia. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_(2...m)#Box_office:

Salt ended up grossing $118,311,368 in the United States and Canada and $175,191,986 in other countries, for a worldwide total of $293,503,354.

Maybe you were just remembering the figure for how well it did in the USA and Canada -- over 110 million dollars?

Wikipedia also says the production budget was 110 million dollars.

Of course, I've read before that, as a rule of thumb for Hollywood movies, about half of the "box office gross" usually ends up flowing back to the studio that produced the movie. The other half tends to stay with the companies that own and operate local movie theatres -- after all, they have their own business expenses to cover. If that applies here, then it would suggest that it went this way:

Money spent to make the film: 110 million.

Worldwide box office gross: 293.5 million.

Money that actually was wired back from ticket sales to the companies involved in making and distributing the film: About 197 million.

Net profit after the original investment was recouped: About 87 million. (Plus any extra profit they made from licensed merchandising, from subsequent DVD sales, etc.)

A profit of 87 million isn't so bad. They didn't quite "double their money," but they came pretty close! By my math -- and assuming my idea about "got half of the box office revenue" is correct -- that means a profit of about 79 percent on their original investment.

"'Guardians Of The Galaxy' Co-Writer Nicole Perlman Also Worked On A Black Widow Movie"

"Long before James Gunn rewrote "Guardians of the Galaxy" as an ode to super sounds of the '70s and wise-cracking space raccoons, Nicole Perlman was in charge of the film's merry band of outlaws. As part of Marvel's now defunct screenwriting program, Perlman chose "Guardians of the Galaxy" from the comic-book giant's archives and spent two and a half years working on the screenplay for the blockbuster.

"When it got to a place where Marvel was actually excited to make the movie, they wanted to bring in a writer-director with a very specific visual style and comedic sense to come and put his stamp on the movie as well," Perlman told HuffPost Entertainment in an interview last month. "I did get to go out to the set and hang out with James, but it was very much a handing off." (Both Perlman and Gunn received credit from the Writers Guild of America for their work.)

"Guardians" grossed more than $94 million during its opening weekend, and it's not the only Marvel project Perlman tackled: Between 2010 and 2011, she's also wrote a script treatment for a possible Black Widow movie.

"I think the Black Widow movie will definitely happen," Perlman said of the superhero, played by Scarlett Johansson in the current Marvel Cinematic Universe. "I would be surprised if it happened before some of the other movies, which they've planned out to 2019 at this point. It's definitely something that has been on their radar, but it is a question of them setting up all these different phases.

They want to expand their universe a little bit, and then they can play with the smaller movies that they've been developing..."

widow.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...usaolp00000592
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 08-08-2014 at 06:15 PM.
    Aquarius (Music)

"Girls on Film: 5 things that need to happen before Hollywood will ever truly change"

"In this age of cookie-cutter Hollywood blockbusters, the emergence of something even a little new can create hyperbolic acclaim. Guardians of the Galaxy, which blends comedy with the superhero genre, is courting near-universal praise — even from those who deem it "a mess" with "overdone humor," and a "a spaghetti tangle of individual character arcs" that lack "depth and dimension."

Guardians is an inevitable evolution for Marvel — but the novelty of a superhero movie not taking itself so seriously made some critics gloss over its weaknesses.

It's the same thing that happens anytime a Hollywood movie breaks rank and includes some diversity: when change is long overdue, every step out of the norm is treated like a watershed moment. Kathryn Bigelow wins a Best Director Oscar — cine-sexism must be over! Gravity kicks ass at the box office — women are the new action stars! Patty Jenkins is hired to direct Thor 2 — men don't control the superhero genre anymore!

Unfortunately, no one moment can change everything. Bigelow's history-making win didn't crack Hollywood's glass ceiling; Gravity, The Hunger Games, and other female-centric moneymakers haven't prompted a femme-blockbuster movement (and can't even convince Marvel head Kevin Feige to have one female-led superhero movie); Jenkins was fired from Thor 2 and no superhero film since has had a female filmmaker on the shortlist for directing — let alone actually getting the gig.

In reality, no single breakthrough will ever break the norm. What it really takes is many smaller advancements coalescing into a larger movement. It is only when we see distinct and palpable change in Hollywood's subtler bad habits that we'll know progress is truly being made. When we see habits like the five below disappear, we can truly celebrate..."

we-still-got-a-long-way-to-go.jpg

http://theweek.com/article/index/265...r-truly-change
    Aquarius (Music)

Quote Originally Posted by cybrestrike View Post
    If done the right way, this venture by Arad could be ridiculously profitable. China is where the market is going, might as well cater to your future customers. And it's a part of cultural mythology that hasn't been all that well or accurately portrayed in US entertainment, to be honest.
    Funny that you say that.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...inglePage=true

For the first time ever, U.S. public schools are projected this fall to have more minority students than non-Hispanic whites enrolled, a shift largely fueled by growth in the number of Hispanic children.

Non-Hispanic white students are still expected to be the largest racial group in the public schools this year at 49.8 percent. But the National Center for Education Statistics says minority students, when added together, will now make up the majority.

About one-quarter of the minority students are Hispanic, 15 percent are black and 5 percent are Asian and Pacific Islanders. Biracial students and Native Americans make up a smaller share of the minority student population.
    So if the majority of kids in school are POC, wouldn't that mean your future buying fan base will be that as well? Meaning that you might want to slowly make your characters of color a bit more active in books instead of being background fodder and MIA in big events?

yeah you would think that