Super Moderator

Default Masterson Goes Full Throttle with Chris Evans in "Snowpiercer"

Screenwriter Kelly Masterson discusses "Snowpiercer's" journey to the big screen, tackling the graphic novel's themes and working with Chris Evans.

Full article here.

I wanted to see this one for a while.

I saw this movie during Jakarta International Film Festival late 2013 and for me this is among the best comicbook adaptation movies ever. Chris Evans acting was fantastic! The script was great! I could feel the depression living in an isolated bullet train, classified by social classes, the lower class living close to poverty, the high class partying all day and living a luxurious lives, etc. The scene outside the bullet train was as if it was the ice age. No life outside, and the only option is to live inside that train.

Yes so many cruel and mature scenes, and deleting those scenes will remove important parts of the story.

Had never heard of this until the trailer was released recently. Some effects looked a little iffy, but I've learned that often times trailers feature not-quite-finished shots that look better in the final film. I'm a little tired of the whole poor vs. rich/social class commentary thing, but from an action movie standpoint it looks interesting, and I've always liked Chris Evans, so I may check it out.
    Currently Reading: Five Ghosts, Ghosted, Gotham Academy, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder.
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Yeah some of the CGI in this film is not quite up to blockbuster level, but I only really noticed it with some chunks of ice. Overall Snowpiercer might not be the best movie I've ever seen, but it's a LOT more memorable than most action films. Sometimes a little bizarre & suitably weird, other times it's surprisingly gritty... Lots of cool ideas at play here, plus a cool cast and some of the most intriguing set design I've seen in a while. Highly recommended!!
    November 2014 favourite: ...And Then Emily Was Gone. Little mystery/horror gem set on a small Scottish island. Some fun local legends which I'm not sure if they're made up for this story, or are common local folk tales. Think Shutter Island, then add monsters; does our main character imagine them, or is nobody else seeing them...? (By Lees/Laurie/Wilson/Bell, through Comix Tribe).

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I just noticed last week that this film is a part of HBO's On Demand / Same Day as Theaters. I rented the high def version and I have to say it was worth checking out. The CGI is not all that sophisticated by current standards especially when they zoom past the decimated cities. But that's not what the core of the film is about anyway. Chris Evans continues to show his versatility here in the lead role of Curtis. Bong-Joon-hi really moves the film along with some great action sequences in the confined spaces of a fast moving train. I know I've only seen it listed for a limited engagement at the Music Box theater in Chicago but I guess they never got a wide release in the US. Probably one of the best films not to hit your local cineplex.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-28-2014 at 09:36 AM.
    Squad name: Steel Divine Duke

I found it extremely derivative of many of the themes of the Matrix trilogy. There are some scenes and characters that are extremely similar.

Of course, I had just got done watching the 3 matrix films and listening to a podcast retrospective. But if you think about the architect and the oracle and Neo's role as one of many saviors and the symbiotic relationships between the oppressed and the oppressors, I really found it very similar. And then there were many locations that closely mimicked places in the Matrix movies.

Not being a fan of the Matrix movies it obviously didn't bother me. I saw the first one eons ago and never was that interested in seeing the sequels. You could say this is another wrinkle on class warfare themes being told through sci fi that goes all the way back to Fritz Lang's silent classic Metropolis. This time we have the screenplay making use of current events and concerns like global warming. And Mason even had a shoe thrown at her.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Not being a fan of the Matrix movies it obviously didn't bother me. I saw the first one eons ago and never was that interested in seeing the sequels. You could say this is another wrinkle on class warfare themes being told through sci fi that goes all the way back to Fritz Lang's silent classic Metropolis. This time we have the screenplay making use of current events and concerns like global warming. And Mason even had a shoe thrown at her.
    Oh, I liked it. It was fun. I just found myself being a bit disappointed because of the hype. It just turned out to be The Day After Tomorrow + Matrix Reloaded + The Raid.

Sometimes you can see too many movies I guess. I do think there have been a lot worse movies that have gotten wide release and it's a bit of a shame that this film did get orphaned without any huge distribution anywhere.