Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Alex Ross Celebrates 75 Years of Marvel, From "Fantastic Four" To "Miracleman"

In his latest series of covers, Alex Ross pays homage to Norman Rockwell, Steve Ditko, Michelangelo, Neal Adams and more, celebrating 75 years of Marvel.

Full article here.

Alex Ross covers never get old.
    Superman should get top billing in his f***ing sequel.

If only Ross had knew it was the last Fantastic Four cover he'd ever do.

What beautiful covers. I want to collect them all!

BANNED

I would love to have prints of all of these.
    Ross' 75th covers have been nothing but fantastic.

Hope they get released in a collection or book of some sort.

From what I see on the covers, it's more celebrating 40 or 50 years of Marvel. Because I don't see any character here from the last 30 years, let alone the last 10 years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    From what I see on the covers, it's more celebrating 40 or 50 years of Marvel. Because I don't see any character here from the last 30 years, let alone the last 10 years.
    The covers are mainly celebrating Marvels cornerstone characters created during it's inception AND during the 60's Stan/Jack/Ditko era.
    Celebrating 75 years by celebrating what the past in which Marvel is built on.

Gorgeous. I'm only familiar with his Kingdom Come work, does anyone else know any great runs he's worked on? Would love to see more!

I want to see a Black Widow cover by Ross.
    Last edited by Winterboy; 06-10-2014 at 08:32 AM.
    Hey...it's me Rogerio!
    GRAYSON * SECRET AVENGERS * BLACK WIDOW * LOW * VELVET * JUPITER LEGACY * ZERO * WONDER WOMAN * MAGNETO * ELEKTRA * THE FADE OUT *

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusKlein View Post
    Gorgeous. I'm only familiar with his Kingdom Come work, does anyone else know any great runs he's worked on? Would love to see more!
    Marvels and DCs Justice.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I'm biased but the Fantastic Four cover has to be my favorite. Doing a partly invisible Sue can be tricky but here it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    If only Ross had knew it was the last Fantastic Four cover he'd ever do.
    Huh? So he'll never ever do another one in the future?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four fanatic, Avatar-maker, SHSO player, and Marvel Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Alex Ross covers never get old.
    Maybe not for some, but I'm less drawn to his work than I was when I was a teenager.

I'm also a bit tired of his "classics only" love projects. Yes, he'll do contemporary versions of characters like for the Invaders/ New Avengers series, but largely he's only ever seemed to be really interested in the 60's versions of the Marvel characters. I mean, that Moon Knight painting with the purple sky from a little bit ago was phoned in, for instance. Not nearly as good as his classic 60's characters.

For a "75 Years of Marvel" project, he's excluding a fair number of icons and events. What about Wolverine or Ghost Rider or even Deathlok or The New Warriors or The Sentry? What about Captain Marvel or Ms. Marvel (same person, now, I guess)? What about covers that reflect certain epics like Jim Shooter's Secret War, Age of Apocalypse, Civil War, even A vs X, Etc. Etc. Etc.? The only contemporary characters I see in this current mess of paintings is the new Guardians of the Galaxy team, and we all know why. If that movie wasn't coming out, he'd have saved himself a painting.

The Marvel Universe is not restricted to heroic poses of The Fantastic Four, The original X-men, his personal Avengers favorites, Spider-man and Daredevil. And by the way, Daredevil definitely has either a billy club shoved into his underwear in that painting, or he's just really excited to be standing on that roof top.

Ross is a great painter, but he's not eclectic and he definitely plays character favorites. I guess that's his right, but it irritates me, personally. JMHO.

I love all of these. Ross continually stays one of my favorite artists just with his covers. The Fantastic Four and Avengers paintings are my favorite. Who's arm is that grabbing 'frozen' Cap's leg? Looks like it is a red sleeve with a black glove.
    But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream - Amos 5:24

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10nate View Post
    I love all of these. Ross continually stays one of my favorite artists just with his covers. The Fantastic Four and Avengers paintings are my favorite. Who's arm is that grabbing 'frozen' Cap's leg? Looks like it is a red sleeve with a black glove.
    Giant-Man's. He's the one who fished Cap out of the drink in Avengers #4.

I don't care that he's confining himself to '60s Marvel, this stuff is beautiful. If you could find a writer to pair up and do a gig involving the FF, Spidey, the Avengers, the X-Men, Namor, DD, Strange, Fury everybody from , say 1966, I'm on it.

Marvel could do that for each of their decades, certainly, 70's, 80's, 90's etc...