Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Infinity Man and the Forever People, #1

Four of the best students from New Genesis arrive on Earth to study and aid in the advancement of humanity - but they soon discover a darker purpose to their mission: a threat so great that it may bring the multiverse itself to its knees! The only thing that stands between them and total destruction is the mysterious entity known as the Infinity Man!
    Don't miss the start of this new series by Dan DiDio and Keith Giffen, the team that brought you the over-the-top adventures of O.M.A.C.!

Full article here.

Looks pretty good. Definitely interested!

I loved Giffen's art when he first started out. Heavy Kirby Influence, buta smother, more modern take. Then, around the time he fisrt left Legion, his art seemed ruined, mostly by his experimenting with Ambush Bug. IMHO, it got a bit lazy. Now, the Kirby influence seems to be back, and though not as smoth as it once was, I find myself immensely enjoying his art again. But I wish he wasn't paired so often with Didio (Outsiders, OMAC, now this). He deserves better. Not sure if I'll pick this up.

Peace

I think I might have to go for this. Only $2.99, and it should be fun as long as it stays away from the mega-events (wishful thinking, I know)!
    Top 6 Books Lately: All-New X-Men, Aquaman, Black Science, Five Ghosts, Cyclops, Starlight
    Top 6 Legionnaires: Wildfire, Timber Wolf, Polar Boy, Shadow Lass, Phantom Girl, Ultra Boy
    Top 6 X-Men: Cyclops, Iceman, Colossus, Cannonball, Nightcrawler, Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I loved Giffen's art when he first started out. Heavy Kirby Influence, buta smother, more modern take. Then, around the time he fisrt left Legion, his art seemed ruined, mostly by his experimenting with Ambush Bug. IMHO, it got a bit lazy. Now, the Kirby influence seems to be back, and though not as smoth as it once was, I find myself immensely enjoying his art again. But I wish he wasn't paired so often with Didio (Outsiders, OMAC, now this). He deserves better. Not sure if I'll pick this up.

Peace
    I personally find that Didio's pseudo-Kirby stuff is pretty good. I didn't like his Outsiders, but OMAC was a lot of fun. I also think you're likely to continue to see Giffen paired with Didio fairly often, as Dan is one of the main reasons Keith is at DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenozoic View Post
    I think I might have to go for this. Only $2.99, and it should be fun as long as it stays away from the mega-events (wishful thinking, I know)!
    I love how we as comic fans now view $2.99 as a relative bargain.

That said, I liked OMAC. I'm looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zawisza View Post
    I love how we as comic fans now view $2.99 as a relative bargain.

That said, I liked OMAC. I'm looking forward to this.
    I know right? I want to get this book too. I thought it was coming out in july but this is a nice surprise.

I always love to see Giffen's art - gives me nostalgia for the excellent 5YL LOSH. This looks good and I hope people will give it a try

I'm not really a Kirby fan, and if I was I think I'd be even more off-put by the overwhelming pseudo Kirby.

Aside from that, I didn't see a hook in the preview.

I'm a little surprised by all the love for this preview.

The pseudo-Kirby art -- I get that there's a crowd that appreciates it, but it just gives me a headache. The busyness, the square fingertips and faces, the "dynamic" hunchbacked and finger-splayed body language -- it's all trying way, way too hard to create energy. The total effect for me is like reading ALL CAPS text: the visual equivalent of loud noise, where nothing stands out because it's all the same extreme volume.

The writing struck me as a mixed bag. I quite like the framing text boxes quoting an academy graduation speech. That last burst with all the made-for-comics character conflicts read as perfunctory character drama. Which wasn't helped by its visual depiction, which made it feel like the sort of histrionics that would even embarrass a daytime soap actor.

So my judgment from the preview is a resounding "Meh." I'll wait for reviews and a couple of issues of reactions before deciding if I will wade in to this one.

the framing isn't to bad, and didio's concepts aren't terrible in and of themselves

interesting how the Gods of New Genesis are Order (with the attendant slippery slope_ now, where as previously they were moderated freedom (Chaos) to Apokolips' horrific tyranny (order); or are both Highfather and Darkseid now different faces of Order after the chaos of the Old Gods?

Can't wait! One of the books I've been most anticipating!

I'm giving it 2 issues too hook me.

BANNED

This art is an eyesore. Kirby is dead, folks, let's dig ourselves out of the 70s and make the New Gods relevant. I can barely stand to stare at a page of this bright splotchy mess.

I don't like that the art is too much like kirby. Cliff chiang did a good job with new genesis on his own style in WW book. we need more of that, than this.

I like the concept of young rebel team of new gods.