Super Moderator

Default STRANGE TALES: Doctor Strange Stories Fit For Film

Drawing from over 50 years of history, here are the adventures we think director Scott Derrickson can tell with the Sorcerer Supreme.

Full article here.

With the exception of Eternity, these are all pale choices. What about Silver Dagger or Siseneg?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocSpin View Post
    With the exception of Eternity, these are all pale choices. What about Silver Dagger or Siseneg?
    I was going to say with the exception of "Season One" (which isn't even very good), these would all make better TV episodes as opposed to films...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

I would expect an introduction to the character to deal with a classic Strange foe like Baron Mordo (ideally positioned for an origin story) or Dormammu (for a story that hits the ground running and skips the boring hand-holding 'first film must be an origin story' formula).

I'd love a story about a less classic foe, like Urthona attempting to usurp the title of Sorcerer Supreme, but that's probably not cinematic or iconic enough for the big screen.

I'm guessing that Marvel Films will want a combination of an origin story and something that will tie this movie to Avengers 3 (similar approach used for Thor, Captain America, and presumably GotG; not so much for Iron Man but that did tie into Agents of Shield...). All of the choices here are good stories but they don't really tie into the Avengers all that much. Guess they could tie this movie into the Netflix Defenders series (which makes historical sense from the comics).

Assuming that they do want to tie this into Avengers, though... The "dimension" that the Chitauri (sp?) were shown to live in Avengers 1 looked awfully Doctor Strange-like to me (OK - they looked more like the Negative Zone but an Avengers/FF team up on film probably isn't in the cards). Wondering if Doc can open a portal and let the Avengers bring the war directly to Thanos' home turf in Act 3 of Avengers 3...

The (rebooted) Savior Flash Gordon's Avatar

I vote for the one that gives me more DAREDEVIL.
    Had a really nice marriage, but got retconned and now she doesn't even want to get coffee.

My guess is they'd cherry pick from several of those story lines and have a film with the origin, and Strange, Wong, Clea, and Mordo as candidates for Sorcerer Supreme gig in Act one. Then Mordo as the main villain controlling a bunch of mindless ones with Dormammu as the bigger behind the scenes villain for the second act.
    They've got to homogenize it so people will still recognize it as a Marvel movie, but with lots of psychedelic neon magic zapping and strange moebius staircase universes so it's "Strange".
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Foolery View Post
    My guess is they'd cherry pick from several of those story lines and have a film with the origin, and Strange, Wong, Clea, and Mordo as candidates for Sorcerer Supreme gig in Act one. Then Mordo as the main villain controlling a bunch of mindless ones with Dormammu as the bigger behind the scenes villain for the second act.
    Mordo and some Mindless Ones would probably make for plenty of first-movie villain, with it being established at the end of the movie that Mordo has ramped up his power by selling himself to Dormammu or whatever, and then, Dormammu himself not being seen directly, other than as a figure in the flames directing power to Mordo (and / or attempting to use Mordo as a conduit to break through to our dimension, double-crossing his ally), than as yet another villain in the same movie. (And leaving him, like Thanos, usable as an escalatory stand-alone threat for a hypothetical second movie.)

Then again, that's almost too much like the Avengers formula, with Mordo in the Loki role, so perhaps I need to take a shiny nickel and go buy myself an original idea.

I hear it's actually a Secret Defenders film, and it's going to feature Spider-Woman II, Nomad, and Darkhawk.

I'd want to see something with Satannish, just to see the CGI version of a demon with an extra head in his stomach

Strange origin story is more than enough to fill a movie since Baron Mordo would be heavily involved in it. The question is who can play Baron Mordo ?

I doubt this would be a good story for the first Dr. Strange movie, since I'm sure they will do an origin story, but it could work. So much depends on the later stages for what Marvel wants to do movie wise, especially with Hulk. (ie. if they are actually planning on a World War or Planet Hulk movie/movies).

Either way, eventually I'd like to see a version of the early "pre-Defenders" Defenders story of the Undying Ones.

They could do a 2 story arc of Dr. Strange doing a detective story as he investigates the disappearance of Ken Ward, and subsequently the idols that leads to him having some fights but having to remain behind to close the portal (poor Namor would have to get cut from this, I guess), while at the same time the cult is chasing down Bruce Banner to send him to the realm of the Night-Crawler (with obvious back story of the fight between dimensions, etc). Horn in the Barbara Denton story, Hulk smashes, they find Dr. Strange and he's set free by the sacrifice of Barbara, then write up another fight with the Nameless One which Dr. Strange needs to 'win' to get them back home.

Now you'd have a good relationship between Hulk and Dr. Strange before introducing him to the rest of the Avengers later on.
    Plus, I think a movie would be more marketable with 2 'stars' in it, and it would get Ruffalo some acting time as a bunch of it could be spent as Banner.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Strange origin story is more than enough to fill a movie since Baron Mordo would be heavily involved in it. The question is who can play Baron Mordo ?
    I think Dominic West is suitably jerky enough to be Mordo.
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb