Page 237 of 243 FirstFirst ... 137187227233234235236237238239240241 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,555 of 3642
    Amazing Member

Still diggin' the silver age references. Her 1st pets name? We all said it at the same time she did; Streaky! And Wynn's new force field invention? Besides his super intellect, that used to be Brainiac 5's 'power'! Always thought the force field belt would've been a great gift from Supes to his non-meta allies like Batman, Arrow, etc!

Standing Member

This wasn't the first time Streaky was mentioned in the show. In fact, we've seen the cat and *shocker* he ain't ginger. So the anti-ginger conspiracy goes this deep that even cats are targetted!

I was expecting Win to say that he got the idea for the forcefield belt from Brainy, but that never happened. It's like they go out of their way to punk us. I think they've brought up Saturn Girl being not telepathic but telekinetic a couple of times on the show. Yup, just open up those old wounds and rub the salt right in there.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    So what? It's not as if there are enough of them to matter.
    This one always confuses me. If there aren't enough fans of a concept to matter then why use the concept at all? If you want to tell stories of a flying super-strong woman why not just invent a new one and not be bound by any history? If you go to the trouble to use Oliver Queen/Green Arrow, Barry Allen/Flash, and Kara Zor-el/Supergirl then you must think those particular concepts have a value, right? Otherwise you'd just create Bowman, Fast Guy, and Empowered Female because it isn't like you are trying to attract fans of existing characters.

Name recognition matters. We've all seen people who watch shows they hate or buy comics they hate just because the character has the same name as the character they say they love. The problem is when the creators of the tv show appear to be ashamed of the source material, so they try to get as far away from it as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    This one always confuses me. If there aren't enough fans of a concept to matter then why use the concept at all?
    All that's really needed is passing familiarity. Supergirl is not exactly iconic in popular culture the way Superman is, but many people still know she's a thing, and if they hear about a show with her, and see the shield, they'll know whether they want to check it out or not. That's the sort of viewer these shows are going for, not the fans per se. But if the show isn't beholden to some storyline from the 60s or 70s, 95% the audience is not going to care or even realize it. The remaining 5% will frown about it though.

Just make a good TV show using the characters you've implicitly agreed with the viewers you're going to tell stories about. Draw inspiration from the comics, sure, but don't be enslaved by them. If the fans are all upset because Supergirl didn't text her cousin in a particular episode, then just pretend there's an un-aired scene where that happened and move on.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 06-13-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Name recognition matters. We've all seen people who watch shows they hate or buy comics they hate just because the character has the same name as the character they say they love. The problem is when the creators of the tv show appear to be ashamed of the source material, so they try to get as far away from it as they can.
    They did give Reign the same sword she has in the comic books.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For all we know there might actually be a Superman embargo because of Justice League, like what happened with Deathstroke on Arrow.
    When you think about it, Superman-Hoechlin only appeared on Supergirl during the time that Superman-Cavill was dead in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    So Alura ships Karamel...I don't particularly like that.

Is it? I seem to remember a story (DC One Million, maybe?) where J'onn himself ended up becoming the planet Mars.
    I support Allura XD

That remembers me the time that J'onn became the elemental of Earth during Brightest Day, and he merged with the planet itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    With all those Kryptonian level folks around - I'd support Bass Pro selling Kryptonite ammunition to the regular public.
    lol I immediately thought of this when those three Kryptonians (Selena and friends) popped up at the DEO and then fried that one agent. But no lets get rid of it cause it hurts Kara's fweelings. *roles eyes*

Mighty Member

I'm getting a little tired of Winn's stupid quips and being a geek/jerk. Also, the DC shows are having a cliche of the geek becoming the super genius when before they were a nothing in terms of career. Like the DEO didn't have a staff of high order PHDs around.

So previews say Kara has to deal with killing someone? Didn't she kill a bunch of Martians and some others before. This brings up the basic flaw in some superheroes. We see the 'shall not kill' over and over. If you go into the Armed forces, intelligence services, or law enforcement, you have to train to use lethal force and answer the question of whether you can. It is getting old as a constant conflict. Be a EMT, MD, nurse or fireperson if you want to help but not fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    So previews say Kara has to deal with killing someone? Didn't she kill a bunch of Martians and some others before. This brings up the basic flaw in some superheroes. We see the 'shall not kill' over and over. If you go into the Armed forces, intelligence services, or law enforcement, you have to train to use lethal force and answer the question of whether you can. It is getting old as a constant conflict. Be a EMT, MD, nurse or fireperson if you want to help but not fight.
    While I wouldn't argue with the inconsistency of White Martians and such, the no-kill code is not old, it is (or should be) the defining distinction between a hero and a villain. Narratively-speaking, it's easier to hand-wave away a hero's accountability for their actions if they don't kill people. When someone with extraordinary abilities kills, then they need to be accountable for what they've done. That can't just be hand-waved away like it can if they break someone's arm or something.

In Supergirl's case, we have someone that, even with the existence of kryptonite, is capable of leveling several large cities before a defense could even be deployed. When someone like that takes a life, it's a big deal. Particularly since she is not a soldier, intelligence agent, or law enforcement officer. Strictly speaking, without knowing her identity, she's not even a citizen. She cooperates with the DOA, but is not employed by them, has never taken an oath for them, and abides by their rules of conduct out her own good graces. She's also not an EMT or a fireman. She's a citizen who can extraordinary things. Misuse those abilities, and how do you sustain a storyline where she's not accountable to anyone for it? It doesn't work.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

Spectacular Member

My issue with the "I don't kill" line it's that only works when it's true, or when a hero has killed in the past and then showed remorse or at least acknowledged it. But Kara has killed in the past, and it wasn't a big deal because she was saving people. She killed Non, Parasite and White Martians. She also decided to go forward with the plan of lead-poisoning the Daxamites.

At least make her say "I just kill as a last option". It is not true, but it's better. And something similar happens with Barry: he has killed fewer people than Kara, but usually someone on his team killed the big bad and it's not a problem. Iris killed Savitar, an alternative version of his fiance.

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    My issue with the "I don't kill" line it's that only works when it's true, or when a hero has killed in the past and then showed remorse or at least acknowledged it. But Kara has killed in the past, and it wasn't a big deal because she was saving people. She killed Non, Parasite and White Martians. She also decided to go forward with the plan of lead-poisoning the Daxamites.

At least make her say "I just kill as a last option". It is not true, but it's better. And something similar happens with Barry: he has killed fewer people than Kara, but usually someone on his team killed the big bad and it's not a problem. Iris killed Savitar, an alternative version of his fiance.
    In regards to Barry, only once did a member of his team kill the Big Bad, and that was Iris killing Savitar. In season 1, Eddie killed himself, which erased Thawne from existence (so that is suicide). Season 2 Barry didn't kill Zoom; he merely held him down so the time wraiths could get him and turn him into the Black Racer (kinda still alive!). And in season 4, it was Devoe's wife that finally killed him (not a member of his team

On Kara, I agree with you. She's not as egregious with the killing as Oliver is, but she's still done it. And if Reign is now a separate entity from Sam, then she absolutely needs to kill her. Any restraint or compassion Reign had came from Sam. Without her, she's just a killing machine.

Standing Member

It may not be so much with the Big Bad on THE FLASH, but I recall several one-episode only rogues that died where Team Flash seemed to treat it like they had stubbed their toe and were really indifferent to the character's death and made no effort to avoid that result. This is especially egregious because those rogues (and some were DC heroes, too) have fans--so the CW burned through them at an alarming rate, like they didn't matter.

I feel that way about Parasite. Not that Supergirl killed him--I think he was already dead, in a sense, and Parasite was conceived more like a disease--but the Parasite in comics is a great villain and he was wasted on the TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It may not be so much with the Big Bad on THE FLASH, but I recall several one-episode only rogues that died where Team Flash seemed to treat it like they had stubbed their toe and were really indifferent to the character's death and made no effort to avoid that result. This is especially egregious because those rogues (and some were DC heroes, too) have fans--so the CW burned through them at an alarming rate, like they didn't matter.

I feel that way about Parasite. Not that Supergirl killed him--I think he was already dead, in a sense, and Parasite was conceived more like a disease--but the Parasite in comics is a great villain and he was wasted on the TV show.
    The thing with Parasite is, with how he was created, a new one could be created again later on down the line.