Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Warcraft (Movie Thread)

I didn't see one of these in the search, so I figured I would make it...

The peaceful realm of Azeroth stands on the brink of war as its civilization faces a fearsome race of invaders: Orc warriors fleeing their dying home to colonize another. As a portal opens to connect the two worlds, one army faces destruction and the other faces extinction. From opposing sides, two heroes are set on a collision course that will decide the fate of their family, their people and their home.

LINKS
    - Announcment
    - Teaser Trailer
    - First Trailer
    - International Trailer
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 11-14-2015 at 02:02 AM.

I'm really not sure what to think about this movie after seeing the trailer. Could be interesting, but, I don't know.

I think the story will be good. The CGI needs some work, especially on the wee lil' orc baby. They have months to make it look great, so I trust the final product will look awesome.

I'm in, The Movie looks great and I've never played a blizzard game in my life. Duncan Jones was enough reason for me to go and see it, The CGI looks fine to me and i know there are still 7 months till it's released so it will still be getting done up till release.

Blizzards in house animation studio has always produced extremely good looking cinematics, so I'm very comfortable in the finished product looking great given how experienced they are.

Also Blizzard's always had a very unique artistic to Warcraft so it'll likely be a breath of fresh air after the Hobbit movies.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 11-06-2015 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Blizzards in house animation studio has always produced extremely good looking cinematics, so I'm very comfortable in the finished product looking great given how experienced they are.

Also Blizzard's always had a very unique artistic to Warcraft so it'll likely be a breath of fresh air after the Hobbit movies.
    Sadly Blizzard is not doing any of the CGI for the film. Industrial Light & Magic is.

as a hardcore tolkien fan i used to look down on warcraft, back when friends tried to win me over for the pc-game warcraft 2.
    but wc3 won me over. it featured a decent story in a rich universe which made me reconsider and got me to accept the high fantasy
    depiction of this realm´s creatures.

i mean, look at these teeth, who wouldn´t be sceptical?

if this doesn´t bomb, it might be a goldmine.
    the movie looks it is mostly orcs vs humans. maybe they´ll unite against a common undead threat towards the end.
    or they´ll keep that for the next movie, as there are no hints of undeads in the trailer. (which is pretty bold as today everything seems to be about zombies/ud)
    then they can introduce the different elf tribes, tauren, goblins, etc etc

if they play it clever, this could go on for a loooong time

the orc shaman makes me hope for some wc3 easter eggs (never played wow) a la EARTH WIND AND FIRE! HEED MY CALL
    beserk rage spell applied, raging red fury. yay
    wc3 had some fantastic voice acting
    Last edited by abulafia; 11-07-2015 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Sadly Blizzard is not doing any of the CGI for the film. Industrial Light & Magic is.
    Well, they're better at it, so I'm not sure where the "sadly" fits in.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    as a hardcore tolkien fan i used to look down on warcraft, back when friends tried to win me over for the pc-game warcraft 2.
    but wc3 won me over. it featured a decent story in a rich universe which made me reconsider and got me to accept the high fantasy
    depiction of this realm´s creatures.

i mean, look at these teeth, who wouldn´t be sceptical?

if this doesn´t bomb, it might be a goldmine.
    the movie looks it is mostly orcs vs humans. maybe they´ll unite against a common undead threat towards the end.
    or they´ll keep that for the next movie, as there are no hints of undeads in the trailer. (which is pretty bold as today everything seems to be about zombies/ud)
    then they can introduce the different elf tribes, tauren, goblins, etc etc

if they play it clever, this could go on for a loooong time

the orc shaman makes me hope for some wc3 easter eggs (never played wow) a la EARTH WIND AND FIRE! HEED MY CALL
    beserk rage spell applied, raging red fury. yay
    wc3 had some fantastic voice acting
    This movie seems to be sticking to the Lore of Warcraft fairly well, so there won't be any undead for a while. The movie is set in the time of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans (i.e. Warcraft 1).

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Well, they're better at it, so I'm not sure where the "sadly" fits in.
    Because he wanted Blizzard to do it, so I was breaking the news to him softly.

Default Warcraft

I can't believe I didn't see a thread for this!

The ad' looks very muddled (why on earth would anyone turn against their own race in a battle of genocide?) and the film incredibly CGI-heavy, when I would have much preferred Orcs who were green ugly humans, as opposed to Incredible Hulks (because, who can stand up to the Hulk?), but overall... well, I have to admit: I'm not excited. That doesn't mean that it looks bad, it's just that I'm not going to rush out to pre-order a cinema ticket.

So, was anyone actually turned-on by this?

Quote Originally Posted by VivaChiba View Post

The ad' looks very muddled (why on earth would anyone turn against their own race in a battle of genocide?) and the film incredibly CGI-heavy, when I would have much preferred Orcs who were green ugly humans, as opposed to Incredible Hulks (because, who can stand up to the Hulk?), but overall... well, I have to admit: I'm not excited. That doesn't mean that it looks bad, it's just that I'm not going to rush out to pre-order a cinema ticket.

It got bumped to the second page.

Orcs as green ugly humans isn't really Warcraft.

I like the fact that this movie looks a lot like the Chronicles of Narnia movies. The trailer was pretty awesome except for the fact that Orcs looks worse then Cameron's "Avatar" aliens. The mythical creatures, beasts and special effects of the Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit, Narnia and Harry Potter movies all look real and believable while this Warcraft trailers remind us once again why some things like Dungeons and Dragons and Warcraft should get animated media adaptions like DreamWorks "How To Train Your Dragon" and "The Black Cauldron" or if live action it must be then they need the Disney treatment like "Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland" and Angelina Jolie's "Maleficent".

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Orcs as green ugly humans isn't really Warcraft.
    I've only played a few RTSRPGs [Real-Time Strategy RPGs, for the uninitiated], so unless Orcs are extremely different in the online game, they basically are green, ugly humans.
    For what it's worth though, in the games, the armour makes the humans look 'roided up, but they're just as tall and muscular as the Orcs; those green villains presented in this ad' were 8 feet WWE monsters.

I updated the original post with a link to the new International Trailer. I don't think any new scenes were revealed but the scenes were presented differently. In fact, I think I prefer the International Trailer more than the original one, simply because it flows better. The original trailer, IMO, was bogged down by the inclusion of plot details that elude to the greater story at hand but skip over key points that help lend some rationale behind certain characters' actions.

Quote Originally Posted by ZionAkeda View Post
    I like the fact that this movie looks a lot like the Chronicles of Narnia movies. The trailer was pretty awesome except for the fact that Orcs looks worse then Cameron's "Avatar" aliens. The mythical creatures, beasts and special effects of the Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit, Narnia and Harry Potter movies all look real and believable while this Warcraft trailers remind us once again why some things like Dungeons and Dragons and Warcraft should get animated media adaptions like DreamWorks "How To Train Your Dragon" and "The Black Cauldron" or if live action it must be then they need the Disney treatment like "Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland" and Angelina Jolie's "Maleficent".
    Dungeons and Dragons doesn't need to be CGI. Its design aesthetic for its core settings are far more realistic than Warcraft. If LotR can be made to look good in live action form, then so too can D&D. No one will bat an eye when they see a live action Drizzt hanging out with Bruenor and Wulfgar.

I think the reason they didn't go full CGI for the Warcraft movie is because adult-oriented full CGI films don't really do well at the box office. Full CGI is associated with kids movies or flops like Beowulf or the Space Marine movie. If they did go fully animated, then the studio would need to make the CGI look realistic in order to attract the right audience, in which case you are going to run into the uncanny valley for the human characters, which is a massive turn off for most movie goers.

That is most likely why they settled on half-real and half-CGI. Also, it is much cheaper.

I've only played a few RTSRPGs [Real-Time Strategy RPGs, for the uninitiated], so unless Orcs are extremely different in the online game, they basically are green, ugly humans.
    For what it's worth though, in the games, the armour makes the humans look 'roided up, but they're just as tall and muscular as the Orcs; those green villains presented in this ad' were 8 feet WWE monsters.
    Except they aren't green ugly humans. They are much, much taller than humans, averaging some where between 6 and 7 feet tall, and weighing in at 250-300 pounds. The average male human is less than 6 feet tall and easily half the weight of an Orc. Most of the time, the Orcs look to be a similar-ish height as the humans because they are hunched over in the games.

I don't want to spoil anything but there are good reasons why some orcs tried to stop other Orcs from being blood-crazed murderers. These are real characters with real motivations. The orcs have never really been your average Saturday Morning Cartoon Villains, especially as the franchise evolved.

Warcraft has always had a certain design aesthetic and this movie fits it to a T. It just looks strange because the humans aren't wearing massively exaggerated armor.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 11-14-2015 at 02:36 AM.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

The cgi looks heavy but it does look like fun.