Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425
    Veteran Member

I don't understand why Catholics are eating fish and other seafood on Good Friday when they are abstaining from eating meat. Isn't fish some sort of meat? Fish, shrimps, prawns, crabs, lobsters, oysters, and clams are animals, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    I don't understand why Catholics are eating fish and other seafood on Good Friday when they are abstaining from eating meat. Isn't fish some sort of meat? Fish, shrimps, prawns, crabs, lobsters, oysters, and clams are animals, right?
    The actual "Why" is shaky enough that trying to put the sort of thought you are into it is just going to wind up on the outskirts of tail chasing.

Best as I can tell, it has nothing to do with a restriction on eating animals.
    Meat was defined as non-liquid foodstuffs derived from warm-blooded animals. So fish, shrimp, frogs, locusts... all a-okay.

And the role of fish in the New Testament may have played a role.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

IF isn't really that bad. By the fourth or fifth episode it gets better. Most fans will go ahead and watch it regardless of what any internet critic says.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread

"Hell is other people."

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Because eating red meat represents eating Jesus meat and that is bad because during that week Jesus resurrects, while Fish is symbolic in the new testament, like the time Jesus multiply the bread and the fish and fed the multitude, also there is the time when Jesus helped some fishermen to catch a lot of fish.

the inclusion of shrimps, craps, lobster didnt come until later in the future apparently.
    Last edited by mojotastic; 03-19-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    IF isn't really that bad. By the fourth or fifth episode it gets better. Most fans will go ahead and watch it regardless of what any internet critic says.
    One guy's take -

I get the feeling this one isn't particularly controversial. I've seen quite a few folks who aren't from on particular corner of the interwebs come to this very conclusion.

Quite a bit of "What were they watching?"

I always hated the stereotype that latinos, when moving to USA, always go to either Florida, New York or California, for myself personally I would rather live in some place in the center of USA like Ohio or any of the Dakotas.

but i guess the stereotype is kinda correct since is easier for latinos to communicate with people in those places i mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    I always hated the stereotype that latinos, when moving to USA, always go to either Florida, New York or California, for myself personally I would rather live in some place in the center of USA like Ohio or any of the Dakotas.

but i guess the stereotype is kinda correct since is easier for latinos to communicate with people in those places i mentioned.
    People with similar origins or common traits (languaje in this case) tend to cluster when they are in a foreign country. It's logical, it responds to the most basic instinct, survival.

Then we could enter into how some governments and cities tend to keep them on the outskirts or in areas that do not represent a conflict in their interests. Certain segments of society, privileged usually, like to set them apart, to leave them unattended in bad conditions, and then to demonize them in pursuit of their polithical or socially interests.

But thats another theme.

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post

Aside from how realistic the trope is or is not, movies and TV shows probably portray such locales in fiction because they often have easy ways to suggest those locales; strategies that all viewers will recognize (palm trees= Florida).

I think Dave Sim's CEREBUS is one of the great accomplishments of comic books, despite all of Sim's cranky railings against "Marxist-feminists."

Cthulhu's Accountant Shining Trapezohedron's Avatar

I think "Separating the Art from the Artist" is BS, since whatever the artist creates is intrinsically connected to him.
    It is an expression of his thoughts, feelings, skills, intentions, and therefore cannot be separated from its creator.